Wedding Etiquette Forum

Plus 1 Question

What is the proper etiquette for single friends? Should I add a plus one? Is that the proper thing to do?
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Plus 1 Question

• If they are in your wedding party, I would.

But otherwise, if they are truly unattached singles, it's a nice gesture but not required.

• Thanks ladies. Your comments were appreciated!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • For our wedding we gave everyone who was single a plus one.  I know for me I always preferred to be invited to things with a date because it made attending a bit more comfortable, so I wanted to extend that same option to our guests.  

Of course it is not required, but planning wise I would just give all single guests a plus one and then when invites are ready to go out, make a final decision depending on where you are with your budget.  This also helps if any of your single guests get into a relationship before your wedding.  It is always better to be over prepared then figure out a way to fit in a handful of SOs that you weren't prepared for.

• Etiquette only requires you to invite people with a date if they are in a relationship. You don't have to extend the plus one for truly single guests, but it's always nice.  

From a planning perspective, it's wise to plan your guest list with the expectation that everyone will have a date. You're still 7 months away, so that leaves plenty of time for your single friends/relatives to get into relationships. You want to have that cushion in your guest list so that you aren't stretched if you have to add in a bunch of new s/o's at the last minute. (This happens. Literally all of my sister's party friends went from single to couples during the 9 months of her engagement.) If you're ready to send out invitations and you see your budget is stretched thin, plus ones for single guests is an easy place to make a cut. 
  • If your budget allows, it's also nice to give your single friends a +1 if they will be traveling from out of town and won't know anybody. 
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• agree to "plan" for singles to have a +1 because in the time of making your guest list and actually sending invites a single person could be in a relationship by that time.  But when it comes down to it, if they are truly single you do not need to extend the +1. 

We had a friend who started dating a girl 3 weeks prior to our wedding-- he originally rsvp'd just for himself and a week before he told us about a girl he was dating--we insisted he bring her to the wedding.  He was stoked!  They got married last year :)  So whether someone has been dating 3 days or 3 years the relationship is just as valid.  

Anniversary
  • We have a group of 7 friends that were all single at the time our invites went out. We didn't give them +1. Mainly because we didn't have the budget. I didn't feel bad about not giving them a +1 because it's not like they wouldn't know anyone there. They filled up a whole table with just the 7 of them. I did have a truly single friend who wasn't part of that group that was invited and she didn't know anyone there besides me. She is kind of shy and obviously I couldn't hang out with  her the whole night. So I gave her a +1 so that she could bring someone with her to talk to and hang out with and make her evening more enjoyable. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards