Chit Chat

How did you pick your wedding date?

2»

Re: How did you pick your wedding date?

• We knew we wanted a Saturday summer wedding, and all of my sisters are teachers, so we wanted to avoid early June because of school schedules. One of my sisters got engaged a month before me and she REALLY wanted an August wedding in the same year, and we didn't want to set our date too close to hers due to VIPs' schedules. With that knowledge, we visited a few venues to see if they had openings in late June or early July. The venue we decided on only had one Saturday available in that time frame (June 20th), so that's the date we chose.

Like @princessleia22 we got to celebrate our (5-year) dating anniversary, July 1st, while we were on our honeymoon. So that was neat!

My best advice is not to overthink it too much. It sounds like going to the open house for your venue is a good idea, but I wouldn't get too firm on a date until you find the venue you want to use and see what's available. Whatever day you end up getting married will become a special day to you, so I'd advise against picking a date solely because it's sentimental before locking down a venue.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • School calendar for me as well, as I teach. I also had a venue in mind.

We were engaged in August. I knew I wanted it after school was out, so that put us in June. I checked my venue for the first weekends in June, the first was booked, and the second was open, so June 13 it was.

Had that not been available, I probably would have gone to other venues for then.
  • I don't see any problem with scheduling on or near dating anniversary, but don't get too stuck on a specific date until you check with venues and VIP's.  Sharing a wedding/dating anniversary is great, but not worth inconveniencing people or having to sacrifice your dream venue for a specific date. Find the preferable range of dates and just go with whatever works best logistically. Having all those things work out is more important than a specific date on your marriage certificate.

• We decided on a season we liked (spring), and I knew we wanted a least a year to plan.  When we found the venue we liked, we picked the first date that they were available that met both of these conditions.
  • We knew we wanted to get married in the Spring and April is off season for most vendors. I also like the number 4 so originally we were going to get married on 4/16/16 (woohoo all multiples of 4!) but my sister (who is my MOH and whose kids are FGs/RB) is just finishing up her accounting degree and the day after tax day isn't exactly good for her. So we switched to 4/23/16 which is one day before my fiance's parents' anniversary and two days before my parents' anniversary so we're kinda continuing the trend.
  • @avpenguinrn that is really cool how that turned out! I "wanted" something similar to this to happen when my son was born. My ex's mom's birthday is Jan 20th, my mom's is Jan 21st, so I magically wanted my son to be born on Jan 22nd.... He, of course, had other plans and came 9 days later.

• Our date is October 15; we both love fall and our family members that will be in school have fall break that starts [around] that weekend. The only "issue" we had was my brother's girlfriend's 21st birthday on October 9, so we didn't want to do it the weekend prior (October 8). 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our date is November 12, 2016. We got engaged May 15, 2015. FI and I talked about the dates. I told him I wanted a fall wedding and that November would be ideal. So we looked a the calendar and decided it would be either the 5th or 12th. The place where we wanted to have the wedding had both weekends open and told us to pick. Since the weekend of the 12th is a 3 day weekend for most, that is what we picked.

Plus, we will be getting married 30 years after my parents wedding, their anniversary was November 1, 1986.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We wanted it to be fairly warm.  As far as the actual date, we just picked a Saturday, which ended up being April 18, 2015. Nothing really significant with any of the numbers or anything, just the way it worked out.  We were engaged in December 2013 while he was deployed and wasn't due back until spring so we didn't want to have to rush a wedding in 6 months after he returned and ended up with a 16-month engagement.

• We both wanted to get married in the spring because our wedding will be outdoors. We figured April would still be too cold and FI's birthday is May 3rd so we didn't want it too close to that so we went with the 14th because I didn't want to wait any longer!

• We knew we wanted to get married in the fall on a Saturday, and we knew that b=venues booked a year+ in advance, so once we found the venue we wanted we went with an available Saturday.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• We wanted a fall wedding. So we first picked October because the time wouldn't have changed yet. The day we wanted was booked and the next available was halloween and we didn't want that, so the next available was 11/14/15 and we took it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We wanted a winterish wedding but felt December/January were too risky in New England with how many out of town guests we invited. So we picked 11/14/15 because we can go on a little longer honeymoon and come home in time for Thanksgiving and have a few extra days before going back to work. 
  • FI works in construction management so that means summers are terrible to plan anything, his family also farms so we decided on a winter wedding. For some reason FI doesn't like February and we wanted to do it before March because that means they are getting close to gearing up for work. December was out because of holidays so we went with a later date in January. We weren't really stuck on a date and wanted a particular venue so we would have moved it if we needed to for the venue to work.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was in med school at the time so we wanted when I would not be in school.. It worked out that our 6 year dating anniversary was a Saturday in 2014 so it was perfect!
  • We got engaged August 15, 2014 and married August 22, 2015.  We didn't want to be engaged longer than a year. We wanted to get married before football season started, and we wanted to be back from our honeymoon before Notre Dame's first game of the season. Also, our venue only had the 22nd open in August. We actually booked it at the end of July though, since we were waiting for the ring to ship and were super impatient to get started with planning!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Picked it to fall on fiancé fall break so honeymoon would only take one day from school.
    Turns out he decided not to do summer school so we could of done it then.
    Oh well
  • We got engaged July 27, 2014. We wanted to get married on Halloween, but Halloween 2014 was out - my sister might possibly have a baby that day and it was super fast to plan. We looked at Halloween 2015, but I didn't want to wait that long to get married.

So we started looking in the spring which seemed like a reasonable amount of time to plan. April was cheaper than May so we picked April. And then between Easter and not wanting a lot of snow on my wedding (we live and got married in MN) we picked late April. So April 25, 2015 became our date.
  • There are only three weeks of each year that my fiancé and I are the same age, and it was his idea to choose a date in that time! The church only had one day available, so that was it! It didn't take us long to decide, and I thought it was cute that my fiancé thought of that. We will both be 24, and our wedding is next August!
  • primafaba15primafaba15 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited October 2015
    I love the idea of doing it on your dating anniversary if that works out! Nothing weird about that at all.  We would really have liked to do that (especially since H proposed on our dating anniversary, too), but our anniversary is in April and we both work in education. 

Because of our jobs, our options were basically either Winter Break (not an option for asking far-flung relatives to travel to New England...), July or the first week of August (H's school lets out at the very end of June and he's usually back in meetings, and I'm busy working with my college's orientations, by the second week of August). We had to wait a least a year to finish the marriage preparation process through our church. 

So we called the chapel where we wanted to get married and they gave us 3 weekends the next July that were still available. Because it was essentially a DW for my side of the family, we could not do a Friday or a Sunday. We ran the 3 Saturdays by our VIPs and nobody had any conflicts or input at all. At that point we were stuck, so we resorted to looking up the significance of each date historically, religiously, etc. We studied ancient history together in college and as it happened July 25 was significant for a particular historical figure we're both interested in, and had some appropriate religious connotations too, so that became our date! 
  • We got married yesterday. It was the anniversary of the day we met (in person anyway, we knew of each other through craft beer groups on FB). Also our venue is a craft brewery that is open to the public on weekends so they only allow private events during the week. It's a beautiful time of year in Austin so we went with it.
  • We got married yesterday. It was the anniversary of the day we met (in person anyway, we knew of each other through craft beer groups on FB). Also our venue is a craft brewery that is open to the public on weekends so they only allow private events during the week. It's a beautiful time of year in Austin so we went with it.
    Yay, congrats!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards