Wedding Etiquette Forum

NWR: Baby shower after baby born. Tacky?

2»

Re: NWR: Baby shower after baby born. Tacky?

• I have been to many showers after the baby is born. They are super common, and I like them better because then I get a chance to see and hold the new baby. Usually, that's within a few weeks of the birth though. I would think it a bit odd to have one 3-4 months after the birth, but I'd still go if I was able.
    My only thing with that is germs. I thought it was standard not to have the baby out and about until a set amount of time has passed, like six weeks. Maybe I'm getting that mixed up, though.
    ----------box---------- I've never heard this. My sister's baby shower (just a few months ago) was two weeks after the birth. All the after-birth showers I've attended have been within a few weeks of the birth. Also, in my family it's common to be taking the baby to church right away. I was born on a Wednesday and in church with my parents that Sunday. And it's not just my family, I know plenty of people who bring brand new babies to church and elsewhere. Heck, I traveled on a plane at just a couple weeks old!
    It was recently explained to me that now with all the anti-vaccine people, doctors are recommending not taking newborns out in public until they have been immunized. I, too, was unaware of people not taking babies out and was like WHAT? I had my kids out when they were a week old, but anti-vaccine was not a thing then.
  • I have been to many showers after the baby is born. They are super common, and I like them better because then I get a chance to see and hold the new baby. Usually, that's within a few weeks of the birth though. I would think it a bit odd to have one 3-4 months after the birth, but I'd still go if I was able.
    My only thing with that is germs. I thought it was standard not to have the baby out and about until a set amount of time has passed, like six weeks. Maybe I'm getting that mixed up, though.
    ----------box---------- I've never heard this. My sister's baby shower (just a few months ago) was two weeks after the birth. All the after-birth showers I've attended have been within a few weeks of the birth. Also, in my family it's common to be taking the baby to church right away. I was born on a Wednesday and in church with my parents that Sunday. And it's not just my family, I know plenty of people who bring brand new babies to church and elsewhere. Heck, I traveled on a plane at just a couple weeks old!
    It was recently explained to me that now with all the anti-vaccine people, doctors are recommending not taking newborns out in public until they have been immunized. I, too, was unaware of people not taking babies out and was like WHAT? I had my kids out when they were a week old, but anti-vaccine was not a thing then.
    WAY back in the day, new moms were encouraged to stay home with their babies until after the baptism.  I think that is why so many baptisms happened when the babies were newborns. 

I encouraged my daughter to take the baby out ASAP to not fall into the trap of feeling as if she couldn't do it without help.  Her first trip my have been nothing more than the drive through at Starbucks, but it took the fear out of driving with the baby.  She quickly learned that she and the baby would survive if the baby started to cry in the car.

Our doctor said to just not bring her out anywhere where random people would be handling her a lot until she was vaccinated.  We did have groups of friends over to the house where we could make sure they were washing hands/using anti-bacterial before handling her.  Our doctor specifically said that you should be careful of bringing a new baby to church...the people there feel like they know you well enough to start touching your baby, and in many cases you would have no idea if they vaccinate or not, or what they might be carrying...they might even just have a cold but don't think about possibly infecting the adorable baby that they want to poke at.  The doctor also suggested baby wearing in public early on because strangers are less likely to try to get in your newborn's face if you're wearing him/her on your chest. :-)

I hit plenty of drive throughs on maternity leave...but unfortunately I had a colicky baby and her incessant screaming made me too embarrassed to bring her out in public (we did spend a lot of time out in the yard and on walks through the neighborhood though).  I began to look forward to my weekly trip to WalMart while DH was home to watch the baby!  Fortunately, at 3 months now, we are able to bring her out and about without any major meltdowns.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards