Getting in Shape

21 Day Fix

Okay, so just want to hear from you other girls. 

I started the 21 day fix Saturday - to be honest my entire life I was active, in dance and then in college was steady at the gym - ever since I got engaged, I guess we have been celebrating alot? haha, and I fell off...

So I honestly havent worked out since July. Anyways, I started with the workouts Saturday so I am two days in, AND CANNOT MOVE. 

I am so sore - in a good way, but I wanted to know... is this normal for the fix? or am I that out of shape?? 

LOL! 

Re: 21 Day Fix

• I did the 21 Day Fix and the first workout can leave you feeling sore.  I say use icy hot or take a warm bath with epson salt.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is normal if you haven't used those muscle groups in a while, regardless if you are considered to be in shape or not. I'm in good shape, and if there is a particular workout/muscle group I haven't done in a while, I will be sore.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I had the same problem.  I was surprised that the muscle soreness came from Total Body Cardio fix.  On leg day I didn't think I would be able to complete the workout- but I made it through.  By day 7 I was a lot less sore, and the whole second week I didn't experience any soreness.  Your body just needs time to adapt but soon you will want to feel the soreness, or something at least to let you know you are working hard! But I haven't felt that since the first week.  Good luck, and keep at it! Try not the skip any workouts if you can! :)
  • Yeah, I was already working out a little (~3 days a week) when I started and experienced soreness the first week. Those burpees REALLY killed my calfs, I always do them motified now, but after the first week no soreness, even if I go up in weights. 
  • Yeah, that first day is kind of crazy sometimes.  What I did on day three was swap out leg day for yoga day and that helped me heal a little bit more.  Drink a lot of water and if you do drink Shakeology or any other protien drink, I suggest a spoonful of L-gultamine to go with it.  It helps with soreness. 
  • I did that cardio fix too, and about died. I had to take the whole week off before I could do the legs. I tried the pilates yesterday and I am feeling ok.

If you are super out of shape...like me, I would recommend doing these every other day for a couple weeks till you build some strength then go for the 21 day consecutive program. Throw in some yoga/pilates on sore days to help recover. You can always follow the program to the "T" after you build a little muscle.

There is sore, and there is so sore you may hurt yourself if you push it.
  • I know this is kind of an old post but have any of you been successful with the 21 day fix? Did you buy the program or did you just follow the recommended portions and workouts? I'm thinking about trying this but I haven't been successful sticking to a program yet and don't really want to shell out more money just to fail again. Also I'm wondering what do you do after the 21 days is over?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know this is kind of an old post but have any of you been successful with the 21 day fix? Did you buy the program or did you just follow the recommended portions and workouts? I'm thinking about trying this but I haven't been successful sticking to a program yet and don't really want to shell out more money just to fail again. Also I'm wondering what do you do after the 21 days is over?
    I did a whole roud of 21 day fix, I was probably finishing it up when I posted on this thread actually. I bought the program and followed it pretty much to a "t". The only thing I did differently was counting my coffee as a red- it contains artificial sweetener but it is also only 80 cals. I wasn't giving up my coffee. :)

The program was crazy easy to follow, especially considering most of the time I only had to fix food for myself. You could definitely do it without buying the program. It's easy to find the approved foods list, schedule and container measurements online. The only thing you would miss out on are the workouts, which I also loved on the program, and I haven't yet found a list of all of them. Do I feel like it was worth the price? Yes and no. I've bought a program from them before years ago so I knew the price I was getting into and was prepared to spend it. 

I lost about 10 lbs in total, this was after already losing 10-15 lbs prior to starting. I felt a lot stronger, went up in weights (so it isn't all just diet) and now have a MUCH better idea of what types of foods and how much I should be consuming. Once you finish 21 days you could do another round, move up to their "maintenance" suggestions for food or do one of their more challenging programs (I think the original just suggests using only the top 1/3 of suggested foods, and the new one has a whole different program with a very strict eating schedule). I will say 21 days flew by for me. Finding a bunch recipes online for cooking helped me too, I'm not so great with combining ingredients to make a meal without a recipe to follow in the first place. 

Like I said, I've been off it for a while since I moved back in with my parents until me and FI found a place to live. Were looking at moving this weekend so I'll probably get back on the program when we get settled in a week or so! If you decide to do it let me know and maybe we can start an accountability thread? 

Let me know if you have any other questions, I don't work for BB but I did really like this program. 
  • My first round of 21 day fix, I lost around 7lbs but didn't follow it to a T.  Now I'm doing 21 Day Fix Extreme.  The workouts are totally worth the $- at least I think so.  And it really has been making the time fly by! I would just take the plunge and buy it.  I think it's on sale this month.  I suck at sticking with programs, but this one isn't hard to stick to.  I'm trying to shed some weight for my bachelorette party so I'm super motivated, but I usually will do a week on, week off or something like that when I'm not super serious.  Helps me maintain my weight.
  • OMG I can't even explain the soreness I experienced on my first round of the fix. Like, I literally could hardly even sit on the toilet or bend down to file paperwork at work.

Just started the 2nd round yesterday. I LOVE this program. I have lost several inches overall and 6 lbs - and that is without following the plan 100%. I am planning on doing 3 more rounds. My wedding is in 2 months! :)

• I ordered it tonight! I know it took me a while to make my decision but I do need a change. Finally I realized that it's the same price as 3 months at the gym that I haven't been to in the last 3 months so I canceled that membership and am going to try this one out. Hopefully not having to drive somewhere to workout helps me stay more on track! I'll be able to get almost 2 rounds in before the wedding depending on how quickly I get it and then I'm guessing I'll need to do another round after the all-inclusive honeymoon... But I'm excited :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I ordered it tonight! I know it took me a while to make my decision but I do need a change. Finally I realized that it's the same price as 3 months at the gym that I haven't been to in the last 3 months so I canceled that membership and am going to try this one out. Hopefully not having to drive somewhere to workout helps me stay more on track! I'll be able to get almost 2 rounds in before the wedding depending on how quickly I get it and then I'm guessing I'll need to do another round after the all-inclusive honeymoon... But I'm excited :)
    Best of luck to you! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Meal planning became pretty important, so make sure you take a little time to do that at the start of the week so you know what you're eating and when. After a while I could more naturally eat and didn't have to meal plan so tough.
  • @justsie thank you! That's a great point and probably where my current diet falls short... my FI and I are always sitting on the couch Sunday night and are just like eh I don't feel like going grocery shopping so lets order take out and then we stop for breakfast on the way to work... bad cycle. So hopefully this gets us both out of it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @engagedhamstermom I would allow myself to go out to eat on Sundays with a friend/FI before going grocery shopping. I would pick something as "on plan" as I could and have my list already with me. I would go shopping and do food prep after going out, so I kinda still felt like I didn't give up much, but by shopping and prepping with a full stomach I didn't end up with things I didn't need and I didn't end up trying to oversell the amount of food I was having (which was dumb but I never felt hungry on the plan, I just felt like I needed to eat more, does that make sense?) 
    Anyway, food has always been a big thing for me, and some of those other BB meal plans are so restrictive or hard to follow that I end up never doing it. This one was ridiculously easy after about the first 3 days and I find myself thinking about it even when I'm off plan. Keep me updated, I want to hear how it goes!!
  • I just ordered 21 day fix extreme!! My friend had great results on it. I can't wait for it to come in.
  • best4lastbest4last member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2015

:) Briefly, I'm 6'0" and 5 years ago weighed 240. I tried all the trendy "stuff" that was out there (diets, exercise plans, etc...) FOR ME... it's all about the dedication to YOURSELF. What I KNOW is universal for everyone, you have to exercise. Even if it's just walking.

Having said that, I followed the South Beach Diet, and started exercising. I take Saturdays off, and eat what I want (in moderation). My current weight is 165lbs., and I've kept it off. I work at it, hating it some days, but it's important to me! And we ALWAYS find time for the things that are important to us.

Best Wishes!

P.S. There is a really cool "App" called the 7 minute workout. You can modify it to fit your needs, and it's a little personal "accountability".

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 2 months ago I went on Medifast - 

I knew people that had FANTASTIC results so I took the plunge.

I never get on a scale - its just my thing.

But I have gone from a size 10 to a size 6 - in just two months. I took two weeks off for my wedding/honeymoon and just started back up today.

It really trains you to live a healthy LIFESTYLE... and it is the only thing it 10 years of dieting that has EVER worked! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards