Just Engaged and Proposals

How much do you wear your ring?

JediElizabethJediElizabeth member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited September 2015 in Just Engaged and Proposals
We got engaged 4 months ago, and in that time, I've USUALLY worn my ring. But I don't wear it to sleep (I'm honestly afraid of scratching my face with it), shower, swim, or when I'm lounging around the house. I might wear my claddagh in the "engaged" position if I'm out but doing something dirty or sporty, but I have no problem just taking it off and putting it in a safe place otherwise.

Female acquaintances of mine have made a big deal about it, saying my FI would be mad (yeah right) or it's not proper, but I didn't think anything of it.

What do you ladies think?

Re: How much do you wear your ring?

• I take mine off long enough to clean it once a week. During the summer I would take it off while wakeboarding, but other than that, I always wear it. My finger just feels weird if I don't have it on. I have woke myself up by scratching my face once. But I do know a lot of people who don't wear their E or Wedding ring just because they don't like to.
  • edited September 2015
    I wear mine constantly (except when showering, at the gym, washing the dishes/my hands, or putting on lotion, stuff like that). Depending on if I shower at night or in the morning I may wear it to sleep, been engaged/wearing my ring since November of last year, no scratches so far.

The reason I don't take it off so often is because I'm forgetful, I put my ring down in a spot and have to search a few spots before I remember where it is. I need to get one of those ring holder necklaces so I can keep my ring on me/safe but be able to use my hands as needed.

My fiance doesn't care beyond sighing if he notices me searching my desk/bedside table for my ring because I forgot I put it on the dresser before heading down to the gym. As long as I don't lose it he doesn't care how often I wear it, 
  • Is your ring made of spikes? Is it pointy? I don't see how you could scratch yourself with a typical ring. Unless it looks like this 

I never take mine off. I cook, I clean, I shower, I work out, etc. with it. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Is your ring made of spikes? Is it pointy? I don't see how you could scratch yourself with a typical ring. Unless it looks like this 

It's a round solitaire, though it does come up quite a bit from the band itself. I'm worried because I can bruise or scratch myself to the point of bleeding on plenty of improbable things: my bed frame, pens, spoons. Doesn't matter what, I'll find a way.
  • I take mine off to: sleep, cook/do dishes, clean, work out, shower. Otherwise I wear it constantly.

The band did break a little over a month ago and I had to send it back to Blue Nile for repair. I was without it for 2 weeks. It felt really weird not having it on, and I felt sad without it :(
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• snowywintersnowywinter member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    I don't like to wear rings and can't wear them to work, so I very rarely wear mine. My Fi is fine with that. Not sure why he wouldn't be.
  • I wear mine most of the time. I take it of to go to the gym, when I go out for a bike ride or run, shower and lotion. I sometimes wear it to bed.  I ALWAYS wear it in public. 
    That said, my wedding bands surround the engagement ring and will be attached to it. 
    Once we are married I will likely tattoo my finger with our last initial and the wedding date. 
  • I only take mine off in the shower or washing dishes. It never leaves my hand otherwise. It's to pretty to.
  • I wear my ring all the time.  On the rare times it's off, it goes on my ring holder on my nightstand.  But I NEVER take it off when I'm out - way too easy to take your mind off it for a second and leave it behind.

It's a round solitaire, though it does come up quite a bit from the band itself. I'm worried because I can bruise or scratch myself to the point of bleeding on plenty of improbable things: my bed frame, pens, spoons. Doesn't matter what, I'll find a way.
    I once cut myself to the point of bleeding on a banana, so I feel ya.  I take my ring off to shower and work out, or if I'm cooking something messy, but other than that I wear it all the time. I did go to work the other day and forgot to put it back on after my shower. I felt naked all day. 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • @pinupbride6189 A banana? How the.......

• AddieCake said:
    As soon as I enter the house, all my jewelry comes off. I only wear jewelry if I leave the house.
    This.  I don't feel the need to wear my rings all.the.time.  I know I am married with or without them.

• wink0erin said:

@pinupbride6189 A banana? How the.......

I was trying to pull it off the bunch and it was being stubborn so I yanked it down and the stem part caught my wrist in just the right way...lol.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I pretty much only wear them when I leave the house.  I work at home, so that is only a few times a week.

Now that I'm married I wear my engagement ring even less.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• missa011missa011 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited September 2015
    I take mine off to: sleep, cook/do dishes, clean, work out, shower. Otherwise I wear it constantly.

This. Also swimming/beach. That's basically it though. My sister, who works for a jeweler, reprimanded me for wearing it while lotioning and washing my hands, because the pave stones will get gunky, but I think I'd lose it if I took it off that often. I have 2 ring holders (1 by the kitchen sink, 1 next to my bed) and I always make sure to put it one of those if I take it off.

• luckya23 said:

I pretty much only wear them when I leave the house.  I work at home, so that is only a few times a week.

Now that I'm married I wear my engagement ring even less.

I feel like this will be me. Once I have a band that I wear 24/7 (which I know I'll do, because I've been doing wth my claddaugh for over a decade), I can't see myself putting on my e-ring unless I'm going somewhere special.
  • I pretty much only wear my rings outside of the house. I'll keep them on when I get home from work until bed, but if I don't go anywhere on a weekend, I won't put them on just to sit around the house. I have a ring holder on a shelf in the kitchen and one next to the bed, so if they aren't on my finger, they're in one of those two spots. 

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I wear mine all the time including sleeping. I do take it off to do the dishes and shower or if I'm doing something messy like painting. I also take it off when going to the beach or swimming but I wear a different ring in it's place instead. I just feel too weird without it and while I'd be sad if I lost my other ring (it's a cute ring my aunt gave me a long time ago) I'd be absolutely devastated if I lost my e-Ring.

My mom never takes hers off, she cleans, gardens, showers, etc... I probably would leave it on for dishes/showering but I have really sensitive skin and I learned with my class ring many years ago that if I get any soap left under the band I get a bad rash so honestly in those cases I'm taking it off to protect my skin.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I only wear my wedding and engagement rings when leaving the house. Same with DH- we have a nice ring dish next to the bed and both of us put our rings there. 

On a related note, if anyone is the type to not wear their e-ring all the time, I definitely recommend not bonding the two rings together. My sister tried to insist I had to do it to prevent scratching, but I didn't agree. Now, it's nice because my wedding band is completely plain. If I'm rolling out of bed and going to the grocery store in work-out clothes, I don't feel the need to put on my blingy e-ring and just wear the plain wedding band. Also a good option for travel. 

• AddieCake said:
    As soon as I enter the house, all my jewelry comes off. I only wear jewelry if I leave the house.
    This is me as well.  As soon as I come home, I take everything off.  
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I only wear my wedding and engagement rings when leaving the house. Same with DH- we have a nice ring dish next to the bed and both of us put our rings there. 

On a related note, if anyone is the type to not wear their e-ring all the time, I definitely recommend not bonding the two rings together. My sister tried to insist I had to do it to prevent scratching, but I didn't agree. Now, it's nice because my wedding band is completely plain. If I'm rolling out of bed and going to the grocery store in work-out clothes, I don't feel the need to put on my blingy e-ring and just wear the plain wedding band. Also a good option for travel. 
    I would have never soldered them together, since I knew I wouldn't want to always deal with the big halo ring, but my wedding band is an eternity ring, so it did start scratching the side of my e-ring.  I got a spacer band to put between them, and the bonus is that more of my wedding band is visible around the halo!

• I have never taken mine off either.  Even with lotioning up.  I even swim with it.  My friend who is all knowledgeable in diamonds said there wasn't enough chlorine to damage it.  I hope she's right....?

• I have never taken mine off either.  Even with lotioning up.  I even swim with it.  My friend who is all knowledgeable in diamonds said there wasn't enough chlorine to damage it.  I hope she's right....?
    Chlorine won't damage diamonds, but it will wear away the rhodium on white gold if that's what you have.

• luckya23 said:
    I have never taken mine off either.  Even with lotioning up.  I even swim with it.  My friend who is all knowledgeable in diamonds said there wasn't enough chlorine to damage it.  I hope she's right....?
    Chlorine won't damage diamonds, but it will wear away the rhodium on white gold if that's what you have.

It will wear off the plating and start damaging the alloys in the gold - the lower your kt the higher your alloys, the more chance for pitting, splitting and cracks. Even chlorine in regular tap water can/will eventually wear away metals, that would take years and years. Swimming regularly in a chlorine pool will speed that up a lot.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    I have worn my ring every day since my now DH gave it to me, except when I was having surgery, or when the ring was at the jewelers.  That is 39+ years.
    Oops!  Forgot!  I don't wear it when I am making pie dough.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • luckya23 said:
    I have never taken mine off either.  Even with lotioning up.  I even swim with it.  My friend who is all knowledgeable in diamonds said there wasn't enough chlorine to damage it.  I hope she's right....?

It will wear off the plating and start damaging the alloys in the gold - the lower your kt the higher your alloys, the more chance for pitting, splitting and cracks. Even chlorine in regular tap water can/will eventually wear away metals, that would take years and years. Swimming regularly in a chlorine pool will speed that up a lot.
    Thanks for this information, ladies. FH and I just bought a house with a pool back in June. I will make sure we take our rings off before swimming next summer!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Thanks for this information, ladies. FH and I just bought a house with a pool back in June. I will make sure we take our rings off before swimming next summer!
    Yes.  THANK YOU.  I will start taking mine off. I was worried about the diamonds.  Never even though of the gold. This. This is why I'm here!

• Been engaged for a while but I take mine off all the time.  Usually, if I'm at home for the rest of the night, it's off.  I don't wear it while cooking, showering, cleaning, sleeping, etc.  When I leave the house it goes on.  Fiance is fine with it.
  • So far it's on my finger unless I'm showering or doing the dishes. 

I'm going to have to take it off at work at some point, I work in a kitchen, it get's caught on my gloves/tears them, I don't want to damage it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards