Outdoor Weddings

Too hot for a tented wedding?

Since I've been looking at venues, I'm starting to wonder if I should try a tented wedding location because I do not want a traditional ballroom reception and am having a hard time looking for an indoor reception that meets my vision (and budget). My biggest concern about having a tented wedding is that I am doing a July wedding in NJ and am worried it will be too hot. Anyone who has had a tented summer wedding please let me know your experience with this and suggestions you have to keep it cool! Thank you!

Also if anyone has suggestions for NJ venues for about 120 guests let me know :) I'm looking for rustic/historical venues

Re: Too hot for a tented wedding?

• edited September 2015
    Yes, it will be too hot, unless the tent will have air conditioning.

Where in New Jersey are you?
  • It depends on where you find a tented venue.  I know that near me there is a golf club that has a permanent tent set up that has air conditioning and heat available.  But the sides can also be removed if the weather is gorgeous.

So if you find a great venue to have a tent I would talk to the tenting company about cooling options.

• I had a tented wedding in South Jersey the 2nd weekend of Sept (a few years back).    We had fans throughout the tent.   We could have gotten a/c but opted not because there is normally a breeze at the beach.  Well we did get a breeze alright.  In the form of Tropical Storm Hannah.  The storm made it more humid than I would have liked, but it wasn't horrible.    Once the storm passed we opened up the flaps it was nice.

We had a party for my dad in June at their home at one of the Delaware beaches.  We had 2 tents and it was nice under the tents.  Just getting out of the sun makes a difference.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I would say it will probably be too hot. Is the ceremony outside?

It will be hot, even if it is air-conditioned.  I would move forward with extreme caution if you are set on it being outside.  I went to a tented wedding the last weekend of August, but it was only the reception that was tented, so we were outside in unshaded grass during the hottest part of the day for the ceremony and cocktail hour (for 3 1/2 hours). We were all sunburned and disgustingly wet (semi-formal affair, poor FI couldn't take his jacket off because he was embarrassed by how soaked his shirt was).  GM was in a wool tux (95 degrees with heavy humidity) and had a morning full of drinking.  He was extremely dehydrated and passed out....

Try your best to keep everyone hydrated, shaded and cool. The last thing you need is a hung-over GM passing out in a wool tux. Opting for an evening wedding will help, as the hottest part of the day should be over.  I've seen weddings where they provide parasols, fans and water to guests as they wait for ceremony. 

Since you are still looking for a venue location for the reception, you may want to also look at your local board.  I don't know if it's an option where you are at, but try calling local historical houses.  There are 2 historical houses turned into museums within walking distance of my office.  We've hosted fundraisers there before, and all they ask is for a donation to the museums.  They don't advertise that it's an option, but if someone calls and asks, they accommodate the event if they can.
  • Thanks.
    I live in North Jersey near NYC, but our families are from south/central Jersey so I'm looking all over the state. I'm going to try and see Oakside Mansion in Bloomfield soon, they have a permanent tent so I will ask if they have air set up or their options for that so I know if it would be a possibility.
  • And yes, planning an evening wedding. I want the ceremony outside but it will be fairly short so I'm not as worried about that, just about the long reception, because yes the last thing I want are people passing out!
  • Why July? Since you don't have a venue, or a city for that matter, you can still be flexible with your date. If you want an outdoor wedding, I'd go with May or early June, or late Sept/early Oct. You're much more likely to have weather that isn't too hot. And heaters ate cheaper than AC, at least where we were planning.

No matter what though, you need a plan B for both ceremony and reception. Not just because of temp, but because of rain, humidity, bugs, mud, etc.
    *********************************************************************************

• Not sure what the bug situation is, but if you are going into the evening, but if you get mosquitos in your area, that can get annoying for your guests. Unless you can find a way to use liquid citronella in candle displays. I have yet to find pretty solid ones.
  • Erikan73 said:
    Not sure what the bug situation is, but if you are going into the evening, but if you get mosquitos in your area, that can get annoying for your guests. Unless you can find a way to use liquid citronella in candle displays. I have yet to find pretty solid ones.
    The bug situation in July in New Jersey is not good. There will definitely be mosquitoes. Another thing to consider.  
  • Thanks.
    I live in North Jersey near NYC, but our families are from south/central Jersey so I'm looking all over the state. I'm going to try and see Oakside Mansion in Bloomfield soon, they have a permanent tent so I will ask if they have air set up or their options for that so I know if it would be a possibility.
    I was going to look at the Oakside, too, but it was just a bit too small for me...make sure when you count your 120, you're including yourselves and all of your vendors (DJ, photographers, videographer, etc.). I'll PM you about the places we wound up looking at. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards