Budget Weddings Forum

ceremony and reception in same place.

What would you think of sitting at your reception table  for a wedding ceremony?
 I don't have staff to flip the room and I  can't find a place with out stairs to have a ceremony in my area. 
 I was thinking of having tables on both sides and an aisle runner down the middle of the room.   Would this idea be  rude or uncomfortable for my guests?
 I'm open to ideas and  suggestions. 

Re: ceremony and reception in same place.

• The venue that I booked said we could do that as an option, if we wanted. Apparently, couples have done it and I saw photos of it. It was actually beautiful. The tables were all situated in such a way that everyone had a view of the aisle and altar and the wedding party and bride walked down the center with tables on each side.

In the end, we chose a more traditional set-up and they're going to flip the room, but I don't see anything wrong with the table set-up.
  • I have no issue with this. As long as I can hear and see your ceremony, I don't care how you have it set up.

This will mean low centerpieces though - those tall eiffel tower ones would block everyone's view. And you'll probably want to have a sound system to ensure people can gear since tables will mean people are sitting further back. And banquet tables would make it seem more like rows than round tables would.
    *********************************************************************************

• I went to a wedding that was just like this today actually, and it was perfectly fine. I adjusted my chair to have a good view before things got started and then readjusted afterwards to eat. 

Now sitting in the blazing sun for that long........ that I had a problem with. 
  • OK good to know.
    It's inside the community center so no weather troubles. I finally found another option that we are going to look at on Tuesday. It's an elks lodge and has a separate ceremony spot on site.
  • One of my cousins had to do this due to rain, and I rather enjoyed it.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  •  What would you think of sitting at your reception table  for a wedding ceremony?
     I don't have staff to flip the room and I  can't find a place with out stairs to have a ceremony in my area. 
     I was thinking of having tables on both sides and an aisle runner down the middle of the room.   Would this idea be  rude or uncomfortable for my guests?
    I think PP's have all offered hope that your initial plan would work out well.  I also appreciate that you are still considering other options.  What I find MOST refreshing is that in addition to finding a venue you and your FI like, you seem to be considering the perspective of your guests as well.

• I can think of a million reasons why I'd be absolutely fine with this idea as long as the reception space has plenty of room for guests to move around without bumping into someone sitting at the next table over...

As for the sounds, this is why you have the DJ there as they can usually mic you both up so everyone can hear.  That's a concern with any event though to make sure you've got good sound.  Don't use a "house" system for this as they've got notoriously bad sound (this coming from someone who performs at venues - the house systems SUCK!)

• MesmrEwe said:

I can think of a million reasons why I'd be absolutely fine with this idea as long as the reception space has plenty of room for guests to move around without bumping into someone sitting at the next table over...

As for the sounds, this is why you have the DJ there as they can usually mic you both up so everyone can hear.  That's a concern with any event though to make sure you've got good sound.  Don't use a "house" system for this as they've got notoriously bad sound (this coming from someone who performs at venues - the house systems SUCK!)

a DJ or  sound system isn't in our budget.  I'm hoping the officiant will bring a mic. 
  • MesmrEwe said:

I can think of a million reasons why I'd be absolutely fine with this idea as long as the reception space has plenty of room for guests to move around without bumping into someone sitting at the next table over...

a DJ or  sound system isn't in our budget.  I'm hoping the officiant will bring a mic. 
    Most don't have one...  You can usually rent sound systems for around $50-100 from either a store that sells them or your local rental company.  It's money well spent unless your group is smaller than 20...
  • DarthV8rDarthV8r member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    I wouldn't know how to set it up.  I have someone I can pay 200$ that will bring a set up and  can do everything for me, but my budget is so small and the community center is already costing me 500$.   It seems  every time I turn around  I  find something I need to get married that costs us money.  I'm getting discouraged. 
    500$ for the hall
    300 for deposit
    175 officiant
    89 marriage license
    50 cake
    100$ drinks
    100$ cheese crackers, veggies, fruit and ice
    150 decorations
    50 plastic utensils, paper plates, cups
    100 rentals
    300 photographer and hair and make up
     200 microphone/dj
    20$ invites 
    20$ stamps
     and I have to set up everything myself the day of our wedding. 

• How many people are you inviting?

• 40 including kids and true plus ones. 
    lnixon8 said:
    How many people are you inviting?

•  What would you think of sitting at your reception table  for a wedding ceremony?
    This was actually my rainy day plan, and also my plan in case we couldn't come up with the extra money for the separate ceremony space (Mom ended up saving the day with that one).  I don't think it's terrible at all, especially if you're having a short ceremony like we did.  Oh, and if you have drinks etc. available for people even better.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • I wouldn't know how to set it up.  I have someone I can pay 200$ that will bring a set up and  can do everything for me, but my budget is so small and the community center is already costing me 500$.   It seems  every time I turn around  I  find something I need to get married that costs us money.  I'm getting discouraged. 
    500$ for the hall
    300 for deposit
    175 officiant
    89 marriage license
    50 cake
    100$ drinks
    150 decorations
    100 rentals
     200 microphone/dj
    20$ invites 
    20$ stamps

Is your state one where they require a licensed officiant?  Or can you get a friend ordained online and do it that way?  $175 seems like a lot of money to me... but then again I live in a state where you can marry yourselves with no officiant at all.  We had a friend do ours though.
    Married 9.12.15

I went to a wedding like this several years ago. It was meat and I don't think anybody minded it.

• I wouldn't know how to set it up.  I have someone I can pay 200$ that will bring a set up and  can do everything for me, but my budget is so small and the community center is already costing me 500$.   It seems  every time I turn around  I  find something I need to get married that costs us money.  I'm getting discouraged. 
    500$ for the hall
    300 for deposit
    175 officiant
    89 marriage license
    50 cake
    100$ drinks
    150 decorations
    100 rentals
     200 microphone/dj
    20$ invites 
    20$ stamps

Is your state one where they require a licensed officiant?  Or can you get a friend ordained online and do it that way?  $175 seems like a lot of money to me... but then again I live in a state where you can marry yourselves with no officiant at all.  We had a friend do ours though.

I don't have a friend who has offered. I would hate to ask someone to do this for us. Even if someone did offer I would want to pay the fee to get deputized. 
    $175 is the cheapest I have found. Every other officiant wants 400+. 

500$ for the hall
    300 for deposit
    175 officiant
    89 marriage license
    50 cake
    100$ drinks
    150 decorations
    100 rentals
     200 microphone/dj
    20$ invites 
    20$ stamps

This seems cheap to me!  We paid $700!
  • JoanE2012 said:
    I wouldn't know how to set it up.  I have someone I can pay 200$ that will bring a set up and  can do everything for me, but my budget is so small and the community center is already costing me 500$.   It seems  every time I turn around  I  find something I need to get married that costs us money.  I'm getting discouraged. 
    500$ for the hall
    300 for deposit
    175 officiant
    89 marriage license
    50 cake
    100$ drinks
    150 decorations
    100 rentals
     200 microphone/dj
    20$ invites 
    20$ stamps

Holy bejeezus!  I guess it really does matter where you're located for something like that.  :)
    Married 9.12.15
  • JoanE2012 said:
    500$ for the hall
    300 for deposit
    175 officiant
    89 marriage license
    50 cake
    100$ drinks
    150 decorations
    100 rentals
     200 microphone/dj
    20$ invites 
    20$ stamps

Holy bejeezus!  I guess it really does matter where you're located for something like that.  :)
    I remember a conversation one time where they paid $1500 for their officiant in the NYC area. I was astounded. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    lnixon8 said:

Curious - what does "true plus one" mean to you? 

I went to a wedding recently that did this -- didn't flip the space, people sat at their tables for the ceremony. I think in theory it is fine, and it is not at all rude. I will say, from a basic logistical standpoint, it was my least favorite ceremony. I always really look forward to the part where the bride walks in. Because of where our table was, not right on the "aisle" I couldn't see anything once people were standing up. Even when the bride was even with our table I still couldn't see because people taller than me were in the way. In a more standard format I've never had this problem. I was pretty bummed to not get to see my friend walk down the aisle. Throughout the ceremony I really couldn't see super well either, although at least they were on a stage a little above the ground so it was a bit better than the aisle situation. 

I think there were about 120 people there which may have been part of the problem with a crowd of 40 maybe it wouldn't be so bad. I'm not trying to dissuade you, just be mindful of how you set-up the tables as much as possible so that people can get the best view possible. 

lnixon8 said:

Curious - what does "true plus one" mean to you? 

I went to a wedding recently that did this -- didn't flip the space, people sat at their tables for the ceremony. I think in theory it is fine, and it is not at all rude. I will say, from a basic logistical standpoint, it was my least favorite ceremony. I always really look forward to the part where the bride walks in. Because of where our table was, not right on the "aisle" I couldn't see anything once people were standing up. Even when the bride was even with our table I still couldn't see because people taller than me were in the way. In a more standard format I've never had this problem. I was pretty bummed to not get to see my friend walk down the aisle. Throughout the ceremony I really couldn't see super well either, although at least they were on a stage a little above the ground so it was a bit better than the aisle situation. 

I think there were about 120 people there which may have been part of the problem with a crowd of 40 maybe it wouldn't be so bad. I'm not trying to dissuade you, just be mindful of how you set-up the tables as much as possible so that people can get the best view possible. 

To me, true plus ones= singles get to bring a date and I do not know who it is. I would never call an s/o a plus one , their name would be on the invite as a guest.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards