Budget Weddings Forum

Help a fellow Knottie?

Hey all.  We need some help!  My FI and I are finalists in a contest to win $500 in Wedding Favors.  But, we're way behind in votes!  The cool thing is, you don't have to sign up for ANYTHING! Just go to the page, find us (Heather & Todd; our picture is of us bundled up in the snow) and click on the "vote" button under our story.  We truly appreciate any and all help! Voting ends 10/31/15; but you can vote once a day for those who feel like it & want some good wedding karma!  :-) 

*Edited by mod as link is a violation of TOS.

Re: Help a fellow Knottie?

• Wedding favors are not required.  If you have to have them, pay for them yourself.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Pay for your own favors

• Skip the favors!!!
  • I voted for Lucille and Andrew because I like caramel lattes.
    *********************************************************************************

• Hi there Heather and Todd. You are not going to get a good response here. Soliciting for votes is against the terms of service. If I were you, I'd delete my post before people head over to your contest and vote for your competition.
    That's truly sad.
  • Hi there Heather and Todd. You are not going to get a good response here. Soliciting for votes is against the terms of service. If I were you, I'd delete my post before people head over to your contest and vote for your competition.
    That's truly sad.

Why? People can vote for whoever they want to. If SouthernBelle is moved to vote for the couple who met over lattes, why shouldn't she? Because a different stranger asked for her vote first?
  • I voted for Ivon and Juan as well as the latte couple. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I voted for the Latte Couple and Jillian and Patrick because their  story is very similar to the one I have with my SO
    That's truly sad.

Why? People can vote for whoever they want to. If SouthernBelle is moved to vote for the couple who met over lattes, why shouldn't she? Because a different stranger asked for her vote first?
    Because in most cases, this kind of thing is done out of spite. That's why.

That's truly sad.

Because in most cases, this kind of thing is done out of spite. That's why.

Well, they deserve it. Not only is it against the TOS, but it's annoying seeing random strangers beg for help when they can't even bother to be active contributors to the boards. They can pay for their own wedding, just like most of us have/are.
  • Maybe it's just me, but when someone posts against TOS, I either ignore it or I report it. When I'm annoyed by a poster, I either ignore it or I say so in the thread. I don't do things out of spite just because they were in the wrong. Again, I guess it's just me.
  • People who ignore wrong actions are often doomed to see them being repeated.  Begging for votes from strangers is completely unacceptable on The Knot.  Anyone who violates this will get what they deserve.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • It's a new day, don't forget to go back and get your second round of "spite" voting in :smirk:
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I figured it was just me. I just don't take pleasure in screwing someone else over, especially for an offense as petty as this. If I was feeling particularly annoyed, I'd flag/report the post, but I don't get vindictive with such things.
  • scribe95 said:
    I especially loved the "Fellow Knottie" plug when this person has had very little interaction in the community. Ugh.

I was thinking the same thing. Initially I posted my standard "tell me 2 things about each poster..." and then I checked post history. She's not completely new, but every Knottie#s is the same to me, so she may as well be 100% a stranger.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I figured it was just me. I just don't take pleasure in screwing someone else over, especially for an offense as petty as this. If I was feeling particularly annoyed, I'd flag/report the post, but I don't get vindictive with such things.

She basically had no chance of winning anyway. I can't remember what couple it was but they has like 550+ votes at the time she posted this and she only had 20 or something.

If I had liked her story, I might have voted for her. But I liked the latte couple's story (objectively, it's way better).

And really, I get annoyed when people panhandle for anything....money, votes, whatever. So I'm not going to just give her my vote. No.
    *********************************************************************************

• I kind of want to know how many guests they are having at their wedding.  Because, say they have 150 guests, that means they are only spending a little over $3/person.  I don't know about you, but $3 is not going to get you a great favor.  At that point you may as well just skip favors all together.

• I kind of want to know how many guests they are having at their wedding.  Because, say they have 150 guests, that means they are only spending a little over $3/person.  I don't know about you, but $3 is not going to get you a great favor.  At that point you may as well just skip favors all together.
    Genuinely asking. How much is typical to spend on favors? I ask because most of the favors I'm considering, you can get a special rate if you order in bulk for, say, 100 guests and it comes out to under $5 a favor.
  • The only favors I would like would be edible, and, preferably, chocolate!  Hershey's kisses in a little bag are fine.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
    Genuinely asking. How much is typical to spend on favors? I ask because most of the favors I'm considering, you can get a special rate if you order in bulk for, say, 100 guests and it comes out to under $5 a favor.
    We did chocolate covered Oreos and it was less than $1 per person. I had friends say they really liked them and it was a much better use of $$ than spending $6 on a mug with our wedding date or whatever that people will throw away/send to goodwill
  • kvruns said:
    I kind of want to know how many guests they are having at their wedding.  Because, say they have 150 guests, that means they are only spending a little over $3/person.  I don't know about you, but $3 is not going to get you a great favor.  At that point you may as well just skip favors all together.
    We did chocolate covered Oreos and it was less than $1 per person. I had friends say they really liked them and it was a much better use of $$ than spending $6 on a mug with our wedding date or whatever that people will throw away/send to goodwill
    Speaking of chocolate covered Oreos, have you ever had an Oreo truffle? I don't think I'd do this for a wedding as it's a little labor-intensive depending on how many you need (though they can be done ahead and frozen!), but it's essentially crushed up oreos and some butter or cream cheese rolled into little balls then dipped into either regular chocolate or white chocolate. They. Are. So. Freakin. Good. They'd definitely be cost-effective as well, and 2-3 of them would present well in a little baggie or box.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I am so truly sorry to have offended so many of you with my original post.  All I was thinking was, "hey, this could be fun."  There were no bad intentions at all.  I guess I tend to think the best of things, rather than the worse.  But, a lot of you put way more thought into this than I ever did.

Naturally, I know I can buy my own favors, or not have any at all.  I in fact, don't have any problem with purchasing my own.  But, I entered a contest, I got into the finals, and I thought, "hey, why not?"  Are you guys telling me that if you had the opportunity to maybe get something free for your wedding, you would not do it?  

I tried to delete this post.  I could not figure out how.  I guess my computer skills are not on par with some of yours.  Someone did delete the link to the contest - thank you to whoever did that.  In addition, I did not know it was against the TOS.  I was just so excited to get engaged, and become a part of the community...I didn't fully read, nor memorize the TOS agreement.  Maybe ignorance isn't an excuse, but I would venture a guess that most Knotties do not remember every line of the TOS, nor print it out for future reference.

I have also tried to change my Knottie number into a name.  I am again sorry for not being smart enough to figure this out.  Somehow, Todd is still managing to want to marry me, despite my lack of computer skills, and that's all I really care about - so if I can live with being Knottie #1436805937, I guess everybody else will have to live with it too.  

Do I participate a lot?  No...maybe not.  I am very busy running my own business, unpacking after moving, planning the wedding, caring for an ailing parent - and I am only on this site once a week or so.  In addition, I only comment when I think I actually have something valid to say, and I can contribute.  I don't answer posts, just because I can.

To answer the last question - our favors we will get if we don't win the contest cost $6 each and we have 75-85 guests coming.

Again, I am sorry.  This post was never meant to cause so many of you so much grief and trouble.  I know you may not believe me, but it was all meant to be innocent fun.    

I hope you all have beautiful weddings and just the favors you want, whether you have them with or without cost to yourself.
  • I definitely would not try to skew the voting by asking people on a forum to rush over there and vote for me.
  • I am so truly sorry to have offended so many of you with my original post.  All I was thinking was, "hey, this could be fun."  There were no bad intentions at all.  I guess I tend to think the best of things, rather than the worse.  But, a lot of you put way more thought into this than I ever did.

Naturally, I know I can buy my own favors, or not have any at all.  I in fact, don't have any problem with purchasing my own.  But, I entered a contest, I got into the finals, and I thought, "hey, why not?"  Are you guys telling me that if you had the opportunity to maybe get something free for your wedding, you would not do it?  

I tried to delete this post.  I could not figure out how.  I guess my computer skills are not on par with some of yours.  Someone did delete the link to the contest - thank you to whoever did that.  In addition, I did not know it was against the TOS.  I was just so excited to get engaged, and become a part of the community...I didn't fully read, nor memorize the TOS agreement.  Maybe ignorance isn't an excuse, but I would venture a guess that most Knotties do not remember every line of the TOS, nor print it out for future reference.

I have also tried to change my Knottie number into a name.  I am again sorry for not being smart enough to figure this out.  Somehow, Todd is still managing to want to marry me, despite my lack of computer skills, and that's all I really care about - so if I can live with being Knottie #1436805937, I guess everybody else will have to live with it too.  

Do I participate a lot?  No...maybe not.  I am very busy running my own business, unpacking after moving, planning the wedding, caring for an ailing parent - and I am only on this site once a week or so.  In addition, I only comment when I think I actually have something valid to say, and I can contribute.  I don't answer posts, just because I can.

To answer the last question - our favors we will get if we don't win the contest cost $6 each and we have 75-85 guests coming.

Again, I am sorry.  This post was never meant to cause so many of you so much grief and trouble.  I know you may not believe me, but it was all meant to be innocent fun.    

I hope you all have beautiful weddings and just the favors you want, whether you have them with or without cost to yourself.
    Ugh, spare me the martyr act.  If you had participated as a community member, you would have known we don't support shameless advertising (as well as the fact it's against TOS), and you would actually have rapport with us.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards