Snarky Brides

Article: What if your vendors could rate YOU

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bitchless-bride/what-if-your-wedding-vendors-reviewed-you-bridey_b_8285382.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592&ref=yfp

Read this yesterday and was totally offended! Ummm... I'm paying you (A LOT), so yes I expect you to do what was discussed. That doesn't mean being rude is okay in any way, but when you're paying me to use you, then you can review me!

Re: Article: What if your vendors could rate YOU

• So true. One of my vendors - photographer - is horrible. Pics are great. Her customer service and attention to detail...not so much. She didn't include tax in our contract and is now trying to charge us and has yet to provide me with a photography timeline and I'm 15 days out. I won't write her a review - nasty or nice. I just won't recommend her or use her again - she's a family photographer who gets repeat business.

I've been nothing but polite to my vendors despite my disappointment. I know a lot of brides are CRAZY but some vendors could just care less and we are spending a LOT of money.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bitchless-bride/what-if-your-wedding-vendors-reviewed-you-bridey_b_8285382.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592&ref=yfp

Read this yesterday and was totally offended! Ummm... I'm paying you (A LOT), so yes I expect you to do what was discussed. That doesn't mean being rude is okay in any way, but when you're paying me to use you, then you can review me!
    I think the point is that paying someone for a service does not mean that you get to walk all over them.   I can be an employee of someone but when my boss acts like a jerk, it's still a hostile environment and makes the day worse.   So I can see both sides.   

We talk to brides all the time and say, "Just because no one complained does not mean that no one was upset or offended."   So sometimes there's the desire to see the potential for a reality check on behavior after the fact.

Similarly, I see this daily when shopping in a retail environment or dining.   Sure I can say that I'm paying the restaurant or clothing store for what I'm receiving.   But it's not OK to be condescending / rude / overly demanding just because I feel like I have the cash.
  • I think it's a bad business practice publicly to do that, however businesses already do internally.

A few years back when I worked on a boat we tired to take a family to a Rosewood property for lunch.  They would not let us bring the family because they had been banned from all Rosewood properties for being high maintenance assholes.   :o

I've had GM's kick guests out of our hotel for being high maintenance.   Basically after 3 days of complaints to get free shit he simply said "it doesn't appear we can live up to your expectations.  I've arrange for you to go to "x" place instead." and they put them in a pre-paid taxi to their new location.     

Certain meeting planners and/or groups are black listed from places because it's not worth the money. 

Again I think it's bad practice publicly to do that.  Besides, the average wedding couple is a one and done thing.   Kind-of silly to warn other vendors about a bridezilla who chances are will not  even needed those services again.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    I think it's a bad business practice publicly to do that, however businesses already do internally.

A few years back when I worked on a boat we tired to take a family to a Rosewood property for lunch.  They would not let us bring the family because they had been banned from all Rosewood properties for being high maintenance assholes.   :o

I've had GM's kick guests out of our hotel for being high maintenance.   Basically after 3 days of complaints to get free shit he simply said "it doesn't appear we can live up to your expectations.  I've arrange for you to go to "x" place instead." and they put them in a pre-paid taxi to their new location.     

Certain meeting planners and/or groups are black listed from places because it's not worth the money. 

Again I think it's bad practice publicly to do that.  Besides, the average wedding couple is a one and done thing.   Kind-of silly to warn other vendors about a bridezilla who chances are will not  even needed those services again.
    Totally agree with you.  I don't think it's actually a *good* idea but I think it would be really interesting if people with the attitude of 'the customer is always right' were met with honest critiques.

Then again, those who admit no wrongdoing are probably like the woman DH once saw at a train station near his hometown who yelled, "That train can't leave yet!   My HUSBAND isn't on it!"

Her husband was not the conductor. 
  • Uggggggh.  No.  No no no no no.

First of all, don't refer to me as "bridey."  That's super condescending.

Second of all, I paid my vendors to provide a service to me.  In many instances, I was paying them quite a substantial sum of money to provide that service.  When I write a vendor review (which FTR have all been 5 star/exceptional reviews so far), it is because I want to provide helpful information to other individuals who are also considering hiring that vendor.  I found vendor reviews to be helpful when I was planning my wedding, and am attempting to pay it forward.

What purpose does reviewing a bride have?  None.  Did she pay you the money she owed you under the contract?  Good.  Then she held up her end of the bargain.  Obviously, nobody should be a dick to their vendors.  Everybody deserves to be treated with respect.  And I'm sure dealing with demanding bridezillas must be terrible.  But unfortunately, dealing with difficult customers is an intrinsic part of customer service.

I went above and beyond to make sure that my vendors were treated well (i.e. good tips, our yummy guest food instead of standard vendor meals, prompt communication, etc. etc.) because (1) they were awesome and I adored most of them, (2) I'm a decent human being, and (3) selfishly, I figured if I treated them well there was a better chance that they would treat me well in return and I would have a better shot of getting their very best work.  But I really didn't like the tone of this article.  Brides have enough to worry about without stressing about how they "rate" as a customer.
  • Uggggggh.  No.  No no no no no.

Second of all, I paid my vendors to provide a service to me.  In many instances, I was paying them quite a substantial sum of money to provide that service.  When I write a vendor review (which FTR have all been 5 star/exceptional reviews so far), it is because I want to provide helpful information to other individuals who are also considering hiring that vendor.  I found vendor reviews to be helpful when I was planning my wedding, and am attempting to pay it forward.

What purpose does reviewing a bride have?  None.  Did she pay you the money she owed you under the contract?  Good.  Then she held up her end of the bargain.  Obviously, nobody should be a dick to their vendors.  Everybody deserves to be treated with respect.  And I'm sure dealing with demanding bridezillas must be terrible.  But unfortunately, dealing with difficult customers is an intrinsic part of customer service.

I went above and beyond to make sure that my vendors were treated well (i.e. good tips, our yummy guest food instead of standard vendor meals, prompt communication, etc. etc.) because (1) they were awesome and I adored most of them, (2) I'm a decent human being, and (3) selfishly, I figured if I treated them well there was a better chance that they would treat me well in return and I would have a better shot of getting their very best work.  But I really didn't like the tone of this article.  Brides have enough to worry about without stressing about how they "rate" as a customer.
    one could say that if they didn't pay it would be helpful. 

I think you would be surprised how many couples end up stiffing vendors.

just devil's advocate. As I said it not a good business practice and wedding couples tend to be one and done planners anyway.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    Uggggggh.  No.  No no no no no.

just devil's advocate. As I said it not a good business practice and wedding couples tend to be one and done planners anyway.

If they don't pay the vendors should be taking them to small claims court (or regular civil court depending on the amount of the contract), not rating them on some website.  It's likely to be far more useful to them.
  • I feel like

lyndausvi said:

Uggggggh.  No.  No no no no no.

If they don't pay the vendors should be taking them to small claims court (or regular civil court depending on the amount of the contract), not rating them on some website.  It's likely to be far more useful to them.

I feel like the author isn't really advocating a way to rate the bride and groom but more saying it would be interesting if the tables were turned.

• http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/1/9431055/peeple-yelp-for-people-app

This was almost a thing. John Oliver talked about it on an episode I haven't seen yet. But due to the overwhelming backlash, the creators have gone back to the drawing board to create a "more positive" version.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards