Honeymoon Discussions

Disney World Honeymoon

2»

Re: Disney World Honeymoon

• I'm going to WDW for my honeymoon too! (In July). I've been with my fiancé before, and he and his family know everything about the place!

Some suggestions:

- the spas there are FABULOUS. Either Mandara or Senses. If it's within your budget, treat yourself to a massage!
    - Book a table at the California Grill during the Magic Kingdom fireworks show (happens nightly or almost nightly). You can leave your table when it starts and go out onto the outdoor patio with your drink and watch the fireworks over Cinderella's Castle, then come back and continue your meal. It's absolutely magical.

- Some of our fave restaurants are: Jiko, California Grill, Narcoosee's, Schula's. Disneyworld has SO many adult-y romantic restaurants with the most incredible food. Definitely sample many!

- Don't be afraid to act like a kid. Get your face painted at Epcot in the African pavilion; go mini putting; line up for an hour to get a picture with your favourite princess. My favourite thing about Disney is you can do literally anything and act any age you want! Last time we were there, I was getting my face painted at 4 pm, and in a gorgeous cocktail dress and heels for a romantic dinner out by 8.

• I'm from NYC and I never rent a car for DW. I've never had an issue with Magic Express-I've never waited more than 10 minutes or felt the wait for my luggage was long. Usually by the time we check in, walk to the room, get a drink, check out the park hours, etc the luggage is there. It really depends on when your flights arrive. If you are coming in evening or later you can really get screwed. My sister landed at about 9pm and it took her over two hours on ME. 

Using the resort buses has usually been OK, though on my last trip in February we had longer waits. I think it all depends on what resort you are at. Oddly enough, when I stayed at Art of Animation, which is the lowest level, we had the shortest waits/fewest problems. Never more than a 5-10 minute wait (And usually less) at the resort and at the parks. And the buses were never too full.

In February we were at Port Orleans Riverside, which is a huge place, plus it shares buses with Port Orleans French Quarter. There we often waited 15 minutes, and the bus would be full and we'd have to wait for another. 

I've used the pools at DW in January and February, when it was 85 degrees out in those months. You just never know. 
  • We usually drive to WDW, leave the car parked at the hotel and use Disney transportation the whole time. We even paid for a taxi to get us to breakfast at the Boardwalk Inn because we wanted to walk into Epcot afterwards and you're not supposed to leave your car parked at other resorts all day. We like disney transportation because we don't have to worry about figuring out how to get to each park or finding our car after a long day in the parks and not worrying about how much we drink. But I understand that some people prefer to drive.

A really great place to get all kinds of information is touringplans.com they have all kinds of information a forum section to ask questions and a chat section that is part of their app. There are many helpful knowledgeable people on chat that can help you plan a great trip!

I second what PP have recommended about booking soon if you want to stay in the Yacht Club/Beach Club during food & wine festival.

I also agree that the dining plan will probably not be a great benefit for you because if you stay at one of the Epcot resorts (Beach Club, Yacht Club, or Boardwalk Inn) you can walk to Epcot each day where the festival is going on and you don't want to be tied down to the meal plan.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We actually booked last weekend. We did opt for a meal plan but it's a basic one. the food and wine fest is not quiet a huge deal for us. We are excited to taste the food maybe one night but we're not drinkers.

We did pick club level. We will be landing on a sunday around 5pm. So hopefully Magic Express isn't a long wait cause we want to go to epcot for dinner the first night.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We actually booked last weekend. We did opt for a meal plan but it's a basic one. the food and wine fest is not quiet a huge deal for us. We are excited to taste the food maybe one night but we're not drinkers.

We did pick club level. We will be landing on a sunday around 5pm. So hopefully Magic Express isn't a long wait cause we want to go to epcot for dinner the first night.

As long as you don't mind a late dinner, you should be fine.  I wouldn't expect tp be at the hotel much before 7:30 or 8:00.  By the time you get down to the bus station, and then sit on the bus until it fills up, and then make all of the stops, it can easily take 3 hours.  Unless you completely luck out and just happen to be the last people onto the bus before it leaves, and then the first stop, which has never ever happened to me but i guess is theoretically possible.  Do online check in for the hotel before you leave so that getting into your room is fast and easy.  Since you can walk right over to Epcot, you should be able to get there and get something to eat before it closes, since i know it tends to stay open a bit later during the festival, and especially on weekends.
  • I've done DW 3 times with cheer competitions, so we were restricted to the Magical Express and on site transportation.  I didn't find it that bad, no more so that any other shuttle from the airport.  And the TV video is at least something to watch on the trip.  

We've always stayed at the all-star resorts, as that's where the athlete package is set up for (Music/Movies/Sports).  Don't do it OP, but it sounds like you're at a better hotel.  But transportation there to the parks is good as they're pretty close and usually go direct.  

Everyone else has given you good advice I can't.  We're always there for 4-5 days and I only get about 1 full day at the parks with all the practice and competing we do.  But I've hit everything major I need to.  

• I second the person who suggested dinner at California Grill during Magic Kingdom fireworks. It's the absolute best way to watch the show because you have a great view, no huge crowds, and they play all the music over the speakers so you can still hear everything. Also, last time I went they would allow you back up there to watch even if you ate dinner earlier in the evening.

My family's favorite restaurant in all of DW is Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge. It's a huge African buffet. We also love Cape May at the Yacht and Beach Club, it's a seafood buffet.

In Epcot I'm a fan of Merikesh, the Moroccan place. I've been to almost every restaurant in Epcot and that one is my favorite. 

If you eat at certain restaurants in MGM (ugh okay "Hollywood Studios") you can get preferred seating at the Fantasia show that night. It's totally worth it because the show is awesome and you have to get there really early for a decent seat if you don't do preferred seating. The Sci Fi Cafe is a lot of fun and the Italian place there is good too. 
  • Loved reading this thread, so much useful information! We are going on our honeymoon to WDW next March. Spending 7 nights and staying in the Polynesian. So excited!
  • This was SO HELPFUL. We are honeymooning at WDW too next August!  Seriously so excited! We are staying at the Porte Orleans.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards