Snarky Brides

Need snarky opinion on cutting corners for live music

OK snarky brides, I need your opinion on this one. Would you side-eye a wedding that cut cost corners but had a live band for cocktail hour? The cost cutting would be having disposable cups/plates/utensils, a barbecue buffet, and a signature cocktail + beer/wine instead of a full bar.

Basically, is it weird to have a laid-back or casual reception with a live band for part of it? The band is old timey Americana (fiddle, mandolin, trumpet, stand-up bass, guitar), and the wedding reception is in a restored barn. We're going for a down-home classy vibe, if that makes sense. What do you think?

Re: Need snarky opinion on cutting corners for live music

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    What would be be serving if you didn't have the live band?

ETA - I do not see anything wrong with your plan.  How would someone know you were even cutting corners for the live band anyway?  Maybe people have your type of menu.

I was just wondering.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Whaf kind of band? I wouldn't side eye the music choice over the nice dishes or booze per say, but I've definitely side eyed full pop/rock bands in cocktail hours. They're generally too loud to talk over but it's not really appropriate to dance yet...and unless you know and love the band, they're almost always a waste of money, because everyone would rather hear the recordings they know from a DJ. A jazz band or string quartet? I'd enjoy that.
  • lyndausvi: We'd maybe spring for the nicer meat choices (tri tip instead of pork), and maybe get actual china plates. The band is $800 so it's not so much a splurge, just differently allocating the budget. I'm just worried the band would look out of place at a casual reception, if that makes sense? And I should clarify it's a quartet with mostly instrumental music, some vocals. All their repertoire is classic Americana, like pre-1950s.
  • I wouldn't side-eye it at all. I'd actually probably wonder why I'm eating BBQ on a really nice plate lol

FI and I are planning on doing BBQ, disposable cutlery, and a sig. drink + beer/wine as well...not really to cut corners, but just because that is what we like and it fits our budget. I don't think anyone would be disgruntled by all that.

Also, I think if you feel that the food is genuinely good and that the disposable stuff will hold up well, then go for those options and have your live band.

• OK snarky brides, I need your opinion on this one. Would you side-eye a wedding that cut cost corners but had a live band for cocktail hour? The cost cutting would be having disposable cups/plates/utensils, a barbecue buffet, and a signature cocktail + beer/wine instead of a full bar.

Basically, is it weird to have a laid-back or casual reception with a live band for part of it? The band is old timey Americana (fiddle, mandolin, trumpet, stand-up bass, guitar), and the wedding reception is in a restored barn. We're going for a down-home classy vibe, if that makes sense. What do you think?
    As an environmentalist, paper plates make me cry.  But I wouldn't side-eye a band as a way to spend your money.
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    OK snarky brides, I need your opinion on this one. Would you side-eye a wedding that cut cost corners but had a live band for cocktail hour? The cost cutting would be having disposable cups/plates/utensils, a barbecue buffet, and a signature cocktail + beer/wine instead of a full bar.

My wedding was in a barn, and we also had BBQ food and disposable plates and cups, beer, wine, and 3 liquor choices and mixers.  We received a lot of compliments on the food.  If someone side eyed it, oh well... I wasn't about to spend tons of money on china for BBQ food in a barn.   

I will say, having a live band for only an hour for $800 seems a bit crazy to me and I would wonder why they only played for an hour... but I don't think it would even occur to anybody that because you saved money w/ the type of food, that you were able to afford the band.    
    Married 9.12.15
  • adk19: All plates etc will be compostable, and the wedding is in California so much more environmentally friendly than washing dishes in the drought!

Thanks for everyone's responses, I guess I am just over-thinking this. I will hire the band!
  • I would definitely side-eye this if you had like a full-on 10-piece band with singers and electric guitars that probably cost you a few thousand dollars to hire.  What you have planned sounds great.  I would also like to eat and drink at your wedding.

• Nah, sounds fun!
    *********************************************************************************

• I'm good with your plan. My logic is all about what matters. Quality of food matters. What you serve it on does not matter (and kudos to you re: drought). I'd get a kick out of the band and it's guest-focused so that matters. Go for it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards