Wedding Woes

Bridezilla? More like Cousinzilla

Re: Bridezilla? More like Cousinzilla

• I've heard a lot of crazy things from brides on here - but that she can only have single bridesmaids is right up there for the worst!  Where in the world did you come up with that?

You handled everything badly, you never tell people they aren't in your wedding party, only ask if they are.  Your reason for not having her is crazy.  Like PP said, you also handled the FB drama very poorly.  I think you sound 12.  Grow up, say your sorry to all involved - that you completely misunderstood the "tradition". You are basically ruining 2 sets of family holidays with YOUR drama, this is really on you - not your cousin.
  • What the what the what the what?

I went to cousins house at the same time and told her we were getting married. I told her I knew she wanted to be a bridesmaid but repeated myself about tradition and our grama and also told her that I wanted her to feel welcome to join in any activities she wanted like dress shopping. I also mentioned several traditions that I wanted to include her because of how important she is to me and FI, including her and her husband signing our registry instead of MOH and BM.

• Thanks for the feedback ladies so far :) I can see that there were a few things that could have been done differently (after last week I was kicking myself for not doing limited profile...did I mention having brain damage and not always thinking right? seriously no lies

Single ladies tradition: I was taught by my grandmother that bridemaids were single friends and that you had a MOH (matron or maid). cousin agreed she would never want to me MOH. While this is the reasoning I gave my cousin instead of saying other reasons why she wouldn't be one, I've just made my belief in this tradition very clear over the years.  I have other cousins I am closer to and would have as a BM but they are also married. It may not be a common tradition and might be one that is just in my family, but tradition is very important to me, FI, and my mother and was super important to my grandmother. I've also encountered it in texts (novels and historical) involving our cultural background (which I will avoid saying). My mother and I are the geneology buffs and I'm generally considered our family historian, as well as have my HBA specializing in our cultural history - and our ceremony is full out culture tradition, but NOT the modern (modern traditions are different). We're talking traditions from 1800s back. 

Lots of other details in bits that I think leaving out gave the wrong idea. Mostly FI is the one who is angry and wanting to break ties, but its not just between him and his bro, because of the double family thing. (also i knew his bro for more than 10 years before I met FI)

Thanks again for the feedback. FI, FMIL, my mother and most of our family have thought that FI and I made the right choices and acted accordingly and are calling bro and cousin the ones in fault, I was curious if this was something a lot of people would think or if there was something in it we were missing :) 

Heffalump why do I sound Canadian? 

• your MIL is coming off as the only sane person here. 
  • Then you need to own up to the fact that a weird tradition is more important to you than your friends and/or cousin and accept that these people will be upset with you. Especially when you seem to keep bringing up your super awesome wedding and super exclusive wedding party.

I guess it is important. The bridesmaids I have are much closer to me than my cousins. They are absolutely the best choice. Lots of factors in choosing them - and maybe because all my friends are single, had one of them been married the choice would have been different. 

Its not that traditions are more important to me than relationships, its that its more important to me to have relationships where people respect my beliefs than caving into other people who are unbending. almost 30 years of trying to maintain a relationship with this cousin and not piss her off and basically at this point, FI and I feel like this one time we shouldn't have to be "the bigger person"

Thanks again ladies for all your feedback :) FI and I are reading and listening. In the end what happens will be his choice (regarding dinners as its his mom) and if his brother is invited - although I doubt I will support not inviting them. We try to deal with the family situations together and not "your family" vs "mine" since we will all be family soon and for the most part act like family now. 
  • Sooo....if you never wanted her to be a BM in the first place, why on earth would you do this - 

"I went to cousins house at the same time and told her we were getting married. I told her I knew she wanted to be a bridesmaid but repeated myself about tradition and our grama and also told her that I wanted her to feel welcome to join in any activities she wanted like dress shopping. I also mentioned several traditions that I wanted to include her because of how important she is to me and FI, including her and her husband signing our registry instead of MOH and BM."

You seem to be perpetuating drama and need to keep your mouth shut. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I'm not Heff, but I assumed you were Canadian because you spoke of all the drama happening at Thanksgiving.  Canadian Thanksgiving day was Monday.  US Thanksgiving day was last year.  I hope this mess hasn't been going on THAT long.
  • There are traditions.

And then there's crap someone made up.  

Will you also be allowing someone to kidnap you and/or bridesmaids, making the bridesmaids wear a similarly styled and/or white dress like yours or having your groom and groomsman fight them off?  No?  Then you've changed tradition.
  • I didn't even think of the Thanksgiving thanks @MNNEBride for pointing it out so nicely :) 

@VarunaTT .. actually the  bridesmaids are dressing like the bride and other traditions. Like I said, my degree is actually based around our heritage. 

And as mentioned, there are several references to it in older texts. Not new wedding etiquettebooks but old texts - our ceremony is including a lot of historical items. 

I probably could have just ignored the tradition, but she responded poorly to all the other traditions that I mentioned we were including (even though its a shared heritage). 

I appreciate all the feedback, but is there any constructive advice on how to deal with it? I know I may sound like a drama queen and I am on occasion but this relative is well known for drama, and its hard to articulate that without getting bashy bashy and giving you a whole life story :) 

If any of you have more tips on how to handle MIL threatening to not come, FI being super angry and wanting to not invite them, trying to keep face around them, etc etc we'd love to hear it:) 

But I'd really rather not hear over and over again how wrong/stupid/ridiculous your thoughts on my choice of traditions is. 

***As for telling her she wasnt a bridesmaid - she expected to be and made it clear for years that she expected to be multiple times before we were engaged and each time SHE brought it up and I told her she would not be. I told her that night we were getting married and invited her to participate in several important customs that only immediate family does. I made a point of saying she wasn't one so she didn't assume being asked to be a participant made her a bridesmaid. For FI and I, the role we wanted her in was more important for family and more honour but she felt different. 

• All this tradition talk makes me want to be all:

"Traditioooooonnnn, Tradtion!" 

imageimage

haha took me a minute :) I just saw that live last year as our local group did a performance. Catchy song. 
  • I didn't even think of the Thanksgiving thanks @MNNEBride for pointing it out so nicely :) 

@VarunaTT .. actually the  bridesmaids are dressing like the bride and other traditions. Like I said, my degree is actually based around our heritage. 

And as mentioned, there are several references to it in older texts. Not new wedding etiquettebooks but old texts - our ceremony is including a lot of historical items. 

I probably could have just ignored the tradition, but she responded poorly to all the other traditions that I mentioned we were including (even though its a shared heritage). 

I appreciate all the feedback, but is there any constructive advice on how to deal with it? I know I may sound like a drama queen and I am on occasion but this relative is well known for drama, and its hard to articulate that without getting bashy bashy and giving you a whole life story :) 

If any of you have more tips on how to handle MIL threatening to not come, FI being super angry and wanting to not invite them, trying to keep face around them, etc etc we'd love to hear it:) 

But I'd really rather not hear over and over again how wrong/stupid/ridiculous your thoughts on my choice of traditions is. 

***As for telling her she wasnt a bridesmaid - she expected to be and made it clear for years that she expected to be multiple times before we were engaged and each time SHE brought it up and I told her she would not be. I told her that night we were getting married and invited her to participate in several important customs that only immediate family does. I made a point of saying she wasn't one so she didn't assume being asked to be a participant made her a bridesmaid. For FI and I, the role we wanted her in was more important for family and more honour but she felt different. 

Ignore it. Tell her you hope she changes her mind but if not, she'll be missed. 

My MIL tried to pull all sorts of horseshit surrounding our wedding. We responded with the bare minimum ("I'm sorry you feel that way and I hope you reconsider". Period. Done.) and hung up the phone/walked away/changed the topic. Stop talking about your wedding with these people and stop engaging with them. 

I'm not about to reread your series of short stories here but why is your FI all pissy again?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Hi brother is refusing to be in the wedding because brothers wife (my cousin) is mad at me for unfriending her on facebook and /or because she isn't a bridesmaid. 

• All this tradition talk makes me want to be all:

"Traditioooooonnnn, Tradition!" 

imageimage
    Damn you, mrs.conn, now I'm going to be singing this all afternoon.  :)
  • Hi brother is refusing to be in the wedding because brothers wife (my cousin) is mad at me for unfriending her on facebook and /or because she isn't a bridesmaid. 

That sucks, I get it. But he needs to move on. Think about the bigger picture, here. A wedding is one day. These people are your family forever (whether or not you choose to communicate with family is up to you, but a facebook unfirending seems like a crazy ridiculous reason to hold a grudge). I suggest your FI do what I suggested above - "I'm sorry you feel that way and I will miss you" and move. on. 

And for the love of god, stay off the freaking facebook. 
  • In the 1800s there was a good chance you couldn't choose your husband or age you wanted to marry, so not ALL traditions are worth keeping. Also, when you are willing to alienate family for genealogy reasons, you're doing it wrong...
    Yeah.

OP, can you please explain the rationale your grandma told you for having single bridesmaids?  And how could your FI ask his married brother to be a GM?  Shouldn't all the GMs have to be single men? 

What culture is this that this is supposedly even a thing?  Usually when ppl try to use culture as a rationalization on these boards to do something rude or wonky, it ends up having nothing to do with their culture and everything to do with their particular family of origin.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Now, it's a nerd wedding and I want an invite.

Also, both you and FI are going to have to let it go.  BIL is going to side with wife.  "We'll be happy to have you as guests."  And stop talking about the wedding to them.  

You've got a lot of drama and history and both of you have played into it.  Don't use your wedding as a peace summit, or FFS, as a prize.  You might think she doesn't respect you; TBH if someone I thought was a friend made sure to have multiple convos with me about not being a bridesmaid?  I wouldn't feel very respected and probably really damn lowered tier that I had thought, whether I ever thought about being in the wedding or not.
  • Finally, "tradition" and "historical accuracy" are really not the same thing or interchangeable.  

YWIA.
  • VarunaTT said:
    Now, it's a nerd wedding and I want an invite.

Also, both you and FI are going to have to let it go.  BIL is going to side with wife.  "We'll be happy to have you as guests."  And stop talking about the wedding to them.  

You've got a lot of drama and history and both of you have played into it.  Don't use your wedding as a peace summit, or FFS, as a prize.  You might think she doesn't respect you; TBH if someone I thought was a friend made sure to have multiple convos with me about not being a bridesmaid?  I wouldn't feel very respected and probably really damn lowered tier that I had thought, whether I ever thought about being in the wedding or not.
    She brought it up multiple times and I said no you will not be one. Once we were ACTUALLY engaged, I was the one to bring it up, but only because I wanted to nip it in the bud ahead of time? 

Nerd wedding? @VarunaTT - yes. But in like a "Bride studied ancient history and traditions and literature and knows things only academics come across" lol. i've been nicknamed wiki (as in wikipedia) from co-workers because I know so many random things. When you get into what I actually studied I pretty much become a walking encyclopedia

PrettyGirlLost I purposely did not include it because modern traditions are different for the culture. Because my degree included modern history but focused a lot on the much more historical environment, and I've read numerous historical documents and scripts and pieces that many people wouldnt have read - even current residents of that area. I don't really want to get into citations and digging through my books to prove its a real tradition. 

@Barbie I'm sorry you found me to be not polite :( 
  • VarunaTT said:
    You've got to be Canadian; I just googled "signing the register" b/c I don't know what you were talking about.

DON'T have them sign your license instead of your BM and MOH.  That's supposed to be the entire point of BEING the BM and MOH.  Talk about waving tradition away.  I'd be pissed if I was MOH and didn't get to be the witness.  Also, you'll need to talk to your officiant and make sure that meshes with the rules of the license.

Seriously, your idea of tradition really seems to be, "I like this one, let's do it" and "this one messes up the image in my head, it's out."
    Ah yes, I can see the confusion. MOH didn't mind when it came up. In some cases its my OCD... for example have the license say all the same last name would be awesome. Same with each bridesmaid chosen was a best friend for high school, college, university, and post grad and are all still my closest friends. Its another reason why the traditions are so unchangeable is the OCD which I don't really like to use as an argument but keep to myself lol 

And yes historical accuracy and tradition are not the same but in some cases come together  if the historical trend followed its way down to now in some places :) 
  • VarunaTT said:
    Now, it's a nerd wedding and I want an invite.

She brought it up multiple times and I said no you will not be one. Once we were ACTUALLY engaged, I was the one to bring it up, but only because I wanted to nip it in the bud ahead of time? 

Nerd wedding? @VarunaTT - yes. But in like a "Bride studied ancient history and traditions and literature and knows things only academics come across" lol. i've been nicknamed wiki (as in wikipedia) from co-workers because I know so many random things. When you get into what I actually studied I pretty much become a walking encyclopedia

PrettyGirlLost I purposely did not include it because modern traditions are different for the culture. Because my degree included modern history but focused a lot on the much more historical environment, and I've read numerous historical documents and scripts and pieces that many people wouldnt have read - even current residents of that area. I don't really want to get into citations and digging through my books to prove its a real tradition. 

@Barbie I'm sorry you found me to be not polite :( 
    Are you having sex in front of an audience too to prove you're a virgin? 'Cause that used to be traditional. Also, is your father getting sheep, goats or cows in exchange for your marriage? Or do you come from an aristocratic background and land and homes will do. 

So, yeah, traditions only go so far. Your BMs should be people to help bury a body at 2am. Or at least go toe-to-toe in a Twilight movie drinking game. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards