Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

21% Service Fee?? two separate service fees? Is that normal?

Is it normal for the venue to charge a 21% service fee, then the food service charge a separate 21% service fee? They are all under one roof and we have no choice on who to pick for a food vendor. Something just doesn't sound right. 

Re: 21% Service Fee?? two separate service fees? Is that normal?

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    Are they charging you 21% on the total (including food), then a separate charge of 21% for food?  So basically they are charging a service charge twice on food.   

If that is the case, then yes, that is unusual and quite frankly I would fight it.

If they charging you 21% for food/beverage then 21% on everything else (minus food), then that is not unusual at all.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    A 21% gratuity or "service fee" based on the entire bill sounds normal to me. But if you're already paying that and they're trying to add 21% extra based on the food, then yeah, it sounds like they're trying to charge you twice for the food on top of the base, and I would contest it.
  • Options
    If you are being charged 21% on your total bill, that sounds normal to me. If you're being charged 42% on your total bill, that sounds abnormal to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards