Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invitation Wording

Does this sound stuffy?

Your presence is requested
to witness the marriage of

Sally Jones
and/to (what would sound better "and" or "to"?)
John Smith

Date Time

Dinner and dancing immediately to follow
---------------------------------------------------
I would include the location on a separate "Information" card since the ceremony and reception are at the hotel.

Re: Invitation Wording

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    Use

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Sally Jones
    and
    John Smith
    on Day, Date
    at Time
    Venue Name
    Venue Address
    City, State/Country

If the reception is at the same location, put at the bottom "Reception to follow". If it's at a different location, put on separate inserts:

Reception
    Immediately following the ceremony
    Venue Name
    Venue Address
    City, State/Country

If the ceremony is at a house of worship, use "The honor of your presence is requested" instead of "The pleasure of your company is requested." Also, the nature of the hospitality should not be described, so don't mention "dinner and dancing."
  • GamersElope16GamersElope16 member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2015
    I just see including the location to be too busy and cluttered. Would it be really that bad to include that information on a separate card within the invitation envelope?

Maybe I don't understand why including the nature of the hospitality to be a faux pas? From the wedding's I've been invited to, I've seen it done both ways.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the the marriage of

Sally Jones
    and
    John Smith

Day, date
    time o'clock

Venue
    Address
    City, State (no zip!)

Reception immediately to follow
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
    edited October 2015
    I just see including the location to be too busy and cluttered. Would it be really that bad to include that information on a separate card within the invitation envelope?

Maybe I don't understand why including the nature of the hospitality to be a faux pas? From the wedding's I've been invited to, I've seen it done both ways.
    It seems too much like bragging.  Also, it implies that guests might not come if you aren't providing enough food, drink, and entertainment.
    Is the ceremony to be in the same place as the reception?  Is it a church wedding?  All these details are important.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • The location of your wedding is pertinent information hence why it should be included on the actual invite, not on a separate card that could easily be overlooked.

And for me, I don't care if you include that line "dinner and dancing to follow."  I don't see it as bragging because if your wedding is at a meal time then I would be expecting a meal.  And if it wasn't at a meal time I would be happy to see that a meal is being provided so that I know how to eat beforehand.  And again I don't see how saying you are having dancing as bragging.  I also don't see how it can imply that guests might not come if you don't provide a certain amount of something.  I think this is one of those things that people read way too much into.  Me, I would think "oh cool they are going to have a meal and I get to shake my ass for a bit."

• CMGragain said:

It seems too much like bragging.  Also, it implies that guests might not come if you aren't providing enough food, drink, and entertainment.
    Is the ceremony to be in the same place as the reception?  Is it a church wedding?  All these details are important.

-------------------------------------
    See original post above.  "I would include the location on a separate Information card since the ceremony and reception are at the hotel."
    It's not like I'm going to make people guess where it is. I think it would be less cluttered to have it on a different card

• The location of your wedding is pertinent information hence why it should be included on the actual invite, not on a separate card that could easily be overlooked.

And for me, I don't care if you include that line "dinner and dancing to follow."  I don't see it as bragging because if your wedding is at a meal time then I would be expecting a meal.  And if it wasn't at a meal time I would be happy to see that a meal is being provided so that I know how to eat beforehand.  And again I don't see how saying you are having dancing as bragging.  I also don't see how it can imply that guests might not come if you don't provide a certain amount of something.  I think this is one of those things that people read way too much into.  Me, I would think "oh cool they are going to have a meal and I get to shake my ass for a bit."

---------------------------
    Thanks! Now I understand why the venue information should be on the main invitation. Thanks for clearing that up for me!! :)

I agree to the bolded above.

edited October 2015
    It isn't the end of the world if you put "Dinner and dancing to follow" on your invitation.  Just know that this isn't considered to be proper wording by etiquette authorities, like Miss Manners, and others.
    I seldom post my personal opinion about wording issues, and if I do, I say that it is JMHO..
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I would include the location on the same card, otherwise your asking me to keep up with two different cards so I can make sure I have the information correct. I always bring my invitation with me to weddings, since I always second guess myself I like having it there to double check I have the right time and right location. With your method of seperating the two important pieces of information for the guests, I'd be leaving something at home.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards