Wedding Reception Forum

Tablecloth question

Here is the scenario. We are having our wedding ceremony in our church at 11 am followed by a 12 noon lunch in the reception hall. Here is the menu:
  • BBQ with three kinds of sauce
  • roasted chicken
  • green beans
  • Salad
  • Hash and Rice 
  • seafood display
  • stuffed mushrooms
  • fruit and cheese
  • and of course cake
Heres my dilemma. We are having assigned seating and using the mismatched china idea. Ive purchased various china in blue and yellow (our colors are seaglass, horizon and yellow) from thrift stores and will be donating it to the church afterwards. Ive designed centerpieces as well. Ive looked everywhere and all rental companies rent are white tablecloths. There is no white in our wedding at all (not even my dress). The few that I have found that would rent yellow tablecloths want astronomical prices for them that is not in our budget. I figured since we are hosting properly (no gap, lots of food at meal time) that it would be ok to use plastic tablecloths. Would you think plastic tablecloths are tacky with assigned seating and actual china???

Re: Tablecloth question

• Here is the scenario. We are having our wedding ceremony in our church at 11 am followed by a 12 noon lunch in the reception hall. Here is the menu:
    • BBQ with three kinds of sauce
    • roasted chicken
    • green beans
    • Salad
    • Hash and Rice 
    • seafood display
    • stuffed mushrooms
    • fruit and cheese
    • and of course cake
    Heres my dilemma. We are having assigned seating and using the mismatched china idea. Ive purchased various china in blue and yellow (our colors are seaglass, horizon and yellow) from thrift stores and will be donating it to the church afterwards. Ive designed centerpieces as well. Ive looked everywhere and all rental companies rent are white tablecloths. There is no white in our wedding at all (not even my dress). The few that I have found that would rent yellow tablecloths want astronomical prices for them that is not in our budget. I figured since we are hosting properly (no gap, lots of food at meal time) that it would be ok to use plastic tablecloths. Would you think plastic tablecloths are tacky with assigned seating and actual china???
    Personally, I would prefer white linen tablecloths to any plastic. People don't notice tiny things like tablecloths unless they stand out - like plastic would. I think the china would look more mismatched on a cheap (sorry) tablecloth than it would a nice crisp white tablecloth. I don't even know what color the tablecloths were at my own wedding (I think maybe black?) and I'd be willing to bet my guests wouldn't remember either. 

But, at the same time, this is entirely up to you. If your guests are talking behind your back about your plastic tablecloths, that's their issue and their assy-ness. There's nothing wrong or incorrect or against etiquette about plastic tablecloths.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I think the white tablecloths would look much better than plastic. 
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Thats kind of what I thought. Maybe I can find some yellow overlay to go on top of the white tablecloths. Here are two of the colors that we are using. The seaglass is a really light blue to off set the two bright colors.
  • Have you checked Facebook for wedding item swap/consignment groups? People in the MD one are always trying to sell their tablecloths. Otherwise...stick with white cloth.

• I agree with @lnixon8 or check the local boards here.

Also, check with the caterer, they often have contracts with rental companies and may be able to get them for you.
  • I agree with PPs. You really can't go wrong with classic white table clothes. White goes with everything, and in my opinion would be a nice backdrop to the yellow and blue. 
  • The mismatched china would look better on white table cloths, rather than yellow. You don't need the overlays. After going to all the trouble of buying china and making centerpieces, why you spoil the look with plastic table cloths? 

• MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2015
    Couple options...  Flat sheets can double easily as tablecloths.  Check Walmart or Target to see if you can find some in your color and if it's more of a neutral, you could also donate these to your church.  I purchased my linens (B&W, then tan napkins) from Sam's Club and a local restaurant supply store (red napkins) pretty reasonably.  The one thing about owning linens is taking care of them.  Obviously price it out because sometimes it is cheaper to own than to rent, but choose a color that you will have occasion to use again.  At the end of the day, plastic does add up the costs too, and it doesn't give near the appearance that linen will.  Ideally though, you'd be able to rent through your caterer, venue, or a local rental company. 
  • I found the cost to purchase linens online was about equal to renting them.  I bought all of my chocolate brown ones from www.smartyhadaparty.com   Even after the cost of shipping it was still a really great price... just a bit above $200 for 24 rectangle cloths, so a little under $9 a cloth.  Plus, I own them so I can reuse them or sell them.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • I would use white linen tablecloths. They go with every color scheme, and linen is much better than plastic with China.
  • I found the cost to purchase linens online was about equal to renting them.  I bought all of my chocolate brown ones from www.smartyhadaparty.com   Even after the cost of shipping it was still a really great price... just a bit above $200 for 24 rectangle cloths, so a little under $9 a cloth.  Plus, I own them so I can reuse them or sell them.  
    We are scouting out tablecloths from Smarty during Black Friday! They also have an annual tablecloth sale in December, if the price on BF isn't great. I think Smarty will be responsible for nearly all of our wedding accessories, lol.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards