Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Dessert Bar

Has anyone else opted for a dessert bar? 

We're thinking of having a very small, two-tiered wedding cake for the cake cutting and then having a variety of desserts such as fresh fruit tarts, cupcakes, cake pops and cookies. 

If you've done anything like this do you have photos?

Re: Dessert Bar

• A dessert bar is a nice idea. The one issue I see here is that if you do a cake cutting, every guest needs to be offered cake of the same or better quality as the one you cut.
  • Has anyone else opted for a dessert bar? 

We're thinking of having a very small, two-tiered wedding cake for the cake cutting and then having a variety of desserts such as fresh fruit tarts, cupcakes, cake pops and cookies. 

I did this.  We had a 2 tier cutting cake, plus a quarter sheet cake of similar quality to the cutting cake, and then like a bunch of little desserts.... cookies, brownies, macarons, chocolate covered bacon on a stick, mini cupcakes, mini pecan pies, and lemon bars.  I will say, we did not do enough cake for every guest, since I knew not every guest would eat cake.  And, sure enough, cake is what we had the most leftovers of.  I don't have a great picture of the dessert table, because it didn't all get set out til after dinner and people starting grabbing stuff right away.  

imageBut here is a non-professional pick my H's sister took before it all got started, it's just missing the stuff that was in the fridge.  

Married 9.12.15
  • Has anyone else opted for a dessert bar? 

I did this.  We had a 2 tier cutting cake, plus a quarter sheet cake of similar quality to the cutting cake, and then like a bunch of little desserts.... cookies, brownies, macarons, chocolate covered bacon on a stick, mini cupcakes, mini pecan pies, and lemon bars.  I will say, we did not do enough cake for every guest, since I knew not every guest would eat cake.  And, sure enough, cake is what we had the most leftovers of.  I don't have a great picture of the dessert table, because it didn't all get set out til after dinner and people starting grabbing stuff right away.  

imageBut here is a non-professional pick my H's sister took before it all got started, it's just missing the stuff that was in the fridge.  

Wow!  This is gorgeous and everything looks delicious.  My mouth is watering.
  • Jen4948 said:
    Has anyone else opted for a dessert bar? 

Wow!  This is gorgeous and everything looks delicious.  My mouth is watering.
    Thanks, from what I heard it was all delicious.  I myself had one bite of cake, and a lemon bar, and nothing else because we were too busy.  The tasting for it all was fun though.
    Married 9.12.15
  • We did this for DH's cousin years ago, unfortunately the only pictures I have are of the cake and not the full display.  The only thing I will say is - make sure it's delicious.  Great tasting treats get eaten, lousy tasting ones get leftover.  There wasn't much of anything left at the end of the night.
  • We are having a dessert bar. We're having 6 flavors of mini pies, 4 flavors of cake shooters, mini cupcakes, mini donuts, and 2 flavors of mini cheesecakes. We are having a 6 inch cake to cut but we are not adding the cutting cake to the dessert buffet.
  • We are having a dessert bar. We're having 6 flavors of mini pies, 4 flavors of cake shooters, mini cupcakes, mini donuts, and 2 flavors of mini cheesecakes. We are having a 6 inch cake to cut but we are not adding the cutting cake to the dessert buffet.

The bolded would be rude because it leads guests to believe they will be served whatever cake or other dessert is cut, and for them to find that there is no cake for them is hurtful-regardless of whatever other desserts you are serving, because it is deceptive. 

If you are going to do a cake cutting, you must serve the cake you cut or cake of the same or better quality to your guests.

I agree w/ the others... you can't have something sitting there (ie your cutting cake) that isn't an option to eat.  Even a quarter sheet cake of the same quality as your cutting cake would be fine.  I know I LOVE cake and would be really disappointed if I went to a wedding and didn't get to have some.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • No. That's why I'm having cupcakes so guests can have cake if they want it. We're only cutting the cake and then having it then away for my fiance and I to take home. I don't think it's rude to do the cake cutting tradition but then have all the other yummy desserts. Cake is so blah anyway.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    No. That's why I'm having cupcakes so guests can have cake if they want it. We're only cutting the cake and then having it then away for my fiance and I to take home. I don't think it's rude to do the cake cutting tradition but then have all the other yummy desserts. Cake is so blah anyway.

The bolded is your opinion, and it in no way exempts you from the requirement that if you do a cake cutting, you must also serve cake to your guests.  It is rude to cut anything that you are not going to serve to your guests.  And maybe your guests would prefer cake because they don't think the other desserts are yummy.

If you don't want to serve cake, then don't do a cake cutting.  Or cut one of the desserts you are going to serve.  But do not do a cake cutting and then fail to serve cake to your guests.  That is rude.

• Jen4948 said:
    No. That's why I'm having cupcakes so guests can have cake if they want it. We're only cutting the cake and then having it then away for my fiance and I to take home. I don't think it's rude to do the cake cutting tradition but then have all the other yummy desserts. Cake is so blah anyway.

The bolded is your opinion, and it in no way exempts you from the requirement that if you do a cake cutting, you must also serve cake to your guests.  It is rude to cut anything that you are not going to serve to your guests.  And maybe your guests would prefer cake because they don't think the other desserts are yummy.

If you don't want to serve cake, then don't do a cake cutting.  Or cut one of the desserts you are going to serve.  But do not do a cake cutting and then fail to serve cake to your guests.  That is rude.

This. 

I like cake. I prefer cake to cupcakes.

If the cake is so "blah", why do you want to take it home with you? Why are you getting this cake while others are not?

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    At my daughter's wedding, we saved money and time by having pre-cut pieces of cake from sheet cakes which were the same recipe as the displayed wedding cake.  I don't personally care for cupcakes, either.  They are messy.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • So, we're not doing cake at all, but I just want to be clear about the opinions shared here. If you had a small, round red velvet cake to cut for tradition's sake, and red velvet cupcakes to serve to guests, that's not kosher? Maybe it's because I don't like cake much but I don't see the difference. A cupcake is a small cake, yes? 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • So, we're not doing cake at all, but I just want to be clear about the opinions shared here. If you had a small, round red velvet cake to cut for tradition's sake, and red velvet cupcakes to serve to guests, that's not kosher? Maybe it's because I don't like cake much but I don't see the difference. A cupcake is a small cake, yes? 

This would be perfectly okay. What would be a total etiquette fail would be to cut a cake and then either serve it only to VIPs, not serve any cake at all, or serve cake of lower quality to the guests. If the cupcakes are of the same or better quality as the cut cake, then you're fine.
  • lovebug2016x3lovebug2016x3 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited November 2015
    Jen4948 said:
    So, we're not doing cake at all, but I just want to be clear about the opinions shared here. If you had a small, round red velvet cake to cut for tradition's sake, and red velvet cupcakes to serve to guests, that's not kosher? Maybe it's because I don't like cake much but I don't see the difference. A cupcake is a small cake, yes? 
    This would be perfectly okay. What would be a total etiquette fail would be to cut a cake and then either serve it only to VIPs, not serve any cake at all, or serve cake of lower quality to the guests. If the cupcakes are of the same or better quality as the cut cake, then you're fine.

I am having cupcakes! They come from the same bakery and are the same flavor as my cake! Why do you agree with one person but then put down my thoughts??

• Jen4948 said:

So, we're not doing cake at all, but I just want to be clear about the opinions shared here. If you had a small, round red velvet cake to cut for tradition's sake, and red velvet cupcakes to serve to guests, that's not kosher? Maybe it's because I don't like cake much but I don't see the difference. A cupcake is a small cake, yes? 

I am having cupcakes! They come from the same bakery and are the same flavor as my cake! Why do you agree with one person but then put down my thoughts??

Your post suggested that you thought it is okay to do a cake cutting but serve no cake at all to your guests because they will be served other desserts and because "cake is so blah anyway."

It's this last statement that's off-putting because you're dissing what you're planning to offer your guests. If you don't like cake (which is fine but again, your opinion of cake which is not universally shared), why not just cut another dessert you are offering them rather than insulting the preference any of your guests, or anyone in this forum, may have for cake?
  • Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

Your post suggested that you thought it is okay to do a cake cutting but serve no cake at all to your guests because they will be served other desserts and because "cake is so blah anyway." It's this last statement that's off-putting because you're dissing what you're planning to offer your guests. If you don't like cake (which is fine but again, your opinion of cake which is not universally shared), why not just cut another dessert you are offering them rather than insulting the preference any of your guests, or anyone in this forum, may have for cake?
    Exactly. Or cut a cupcake, because IME even when they are the same flavor, cupcakes have a different texture and different frosting-to-cake ratio than regular cake and are thus a different dessert. For the record, I generally choose cake over a cupcake but would not be bothered at a wedding if there were cupcakes and other desserts but no cake. I would just have one of the tarts or whatever.
  • We had a dessert bar, I don't have a photo of it handy right now, but we had fresh fruit, chocolate covered strawberries, different pastries, chocolate mouse and we also served our wedding cake. It was beautiful and yummy and based on the lines & what was left at the end, I would have to say it was a big hit. I think the fruit was a big hit because several family members aren't necessarily into sweets so the fruit provided a sweet option for them.
  • Dessert bars are awesome!

My friend had one. There were different flavours of cake and pie, fruit bowl, cake pops, and various tarts. They also had a s'more station and passed ice cream sandwiches. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards