Pre-wedding Parties

Engagement Party?

I just got engaged last Month, but we aren't going to have the wedding until 2017. Would having an engagement party next month be too soon or should we wait until closer to the wedding date? Any advice thanks!!!

Re: Engagement Party?

• An engagement party should be something that someone offers to throw for you, not something hosted by you and your FI.

And engagement parties should happen relatively close to the actual engagement.  Just because your wedding may not be for another two years doesn't mean you should wait until it gets closer. The excitement of your engagement is happening right now.  If you wait till next year, sorry to say, people are just not going to care as much.

• I just got engaged last Month, but we aren't going to have the wedding until 2017. Would having an engagement party next month be too soon or should we wait until closer to the wedding date? Any advice thanks!!!

You can have an engagement party now if someone is willing to host one for you now.  BUT... anyone invited to a pre-wedding party MUST be invited to the wedding, so you better be damn sure about that guest list.
  • Don't worry about this unless someone offers to throw you an engagement party.

Formerly martha1818

• This is not an issue until someone wants to host one for you.

And I would be very careful, because everyone invited to the engagement party MUST be invited to the wedding. If your wedding is on 2017 a lot could change regarding your guest list.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Engagement parties are pretty unnecessary. If no one offers to throw one, or you decide it's better not to risk inviting someone you might not be close to in 2 years, you're not really missing out.

The only conceivable purpose I've heard of for e-parties is as an opportunity for your families to meet and get to know each other, if they haven't already. If the families really want to do that, anyone can throw a party for that reason at any time. It doesn't have to have the wedding-related label of "engagement party" affixed to it.

• If someone offers to  throw you an engagement party, it's better to have it sooner rather than later. 

Keep in mind that everyone invited to the engagement party must be invited to the wedding. With two years to go, your guest list and budget are probably not set yet. For that reason, it's probably best to keep the guest list to a small number of VIPs that will certainly be invited to the wedding. You don't want to find yourself in a position where you're stuck inviting 25 former co-workers or neighbors, or where you decide you'd rather have an intimate ceremony with only 50, but you invited 75 to the e-party. 
  • I'm one who doesn't care if a couple hosts their own engagement party. I think engagement parties are stupid, but no matter who hosts it, it should happen close to the engagement date, not the wedding date.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • i got engaged around the same time as you (4/29/15) and we are getting married 4/28/17. my parents offered to throw us an engagement party and we just had it this past weekend. they aren't paying for my wedding, so figured this was a way they would contribute since we would get gifts. i felt like it shouldnt be more than 6 months after engagement, but at least a year before wedding. with winter coming up, thought not was perfect. lol.
  • i got engaged around the same time as you (4/29/15) and we are getting married 4/28/17. my parents offered to throw us an engagement party and we just had it this past weekend. they aren't paying for my wedding, so figured this was a way they would contribute since we would get gifts. i felt like it shouldnt be more than 6 months after engagement, but at least a year before wedding. with winter coming up, thought not was perfect. lol.
    Please stop giving bad advice.  No one is expected to pay for a wedding except you and your FI. Your parents didn't give you any money?  Boo hoo, part of being an adult is paying for your own shit.  I can't even with the bolded. You sound like an awfully entitled person.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards