DIY Wedding Forum

Color Scheme help?

Hi there!

Recently engaged, have already hit the ground running with planning.
Date: 10/1/16, 
Location: a cute farm near us in Colorado, mostly outdoors (dancing in the barn though), room for lawn games, bonfire pit etc., tent rented just in case of rain

We really like rustic/vintage/chic type of styles. My Fiance is going to wear a suit like in the picture I'm attaching to this (browns). We both really love earthy colors (I wear greens and browns frequently in everyday life). 

I'm not the greatest with picking out color schemes though. I can't figure out what would look good (the picture attached helps a bit but I don't think we want to go THAT seasonal. It doesn't need to look like thanksgiving).

Given that information...does anyone have any suggestions of color schemes? Any help is so appreciated! 

I'm doing quite a lot of this stuff myself (because I LOVE crafty projects and putting personal touches on things, not necessarily to save money). 

Thanks so much!!
Jackie

Re: Color Scheme help?

• When is the wedding? Reason I'm asking, is pastels would look great for summer, but jewel tones can go well in the summer but dark colors in the sun might be uncomfortable. With the look you are going with you can go tan, white/ivory with whatever accent color you want from green, blue, yellow, red, purple, etc.
  • Wedding date is October 1st, 2016 - so full into Fall!
    (Colorado Fall tends to be filled with gold aspens, mixed with our evergreens :) )

Thanks!
  • It sounds like you've answered your own question.  Silly as it's going to sound, go to Home Depot and get some color swatches...  And there you go!   Otherwise, once you go to choose bridesmaid dresses is really when things will solidify for color scheme.  Nothing says you have to nail this down this early...
  • Since you like it, I think green should be one of your colors. Do you like green and gold? You could do more of a tan, light brown instead of gold if you like it better as that will go well with the green as well.

If you wanted more fall, I would suggest rusty red, burnt brown, and muted green/yellow.
  • Just an observation.  The man in the photo you posted is not wearing a suit.  He is wearing dress pants and a vest, which is not traditional, proper wedding attire, though it is done often these days.  Proper attore would be a sports jacket in the tan color, with the brown pants.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Ooh, I like the burnt brown, and rusty red suggestion...thanks!

Also, yes, you're right, he's not wearing a suit. My fiance will not be wearing a suit, he will be wearing something akin to what the groom is wearing in that photo. We don't so much care what is "proper" and what isn't - just want to be comfortable and ourselves on our big day :)

• julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    I just got married here in CO, in a barn, in September :)  My color scheme was chocolate brown (Mainly linens were this), dark red (not burgundy, just a deeper red than plain red, sort of the color of a red delicious apple), and burnt orange accents, mainly in the flowers. Had burlap *gasp* (no lace) table runners.  

My MOH ended up wearing a dark blue dress, only because that's what she found that she liked, along with a dark red wrap, and I didn't have any other wedding party members.  H and his BM wore dark jeans, boots, a red and white grid shirt with dark red tie, and a tan vest.  I wanted a brown tweedy looking vest for the guys but they were nowhere to be found... it's apparently a popular item because everywhere was out of stock and Etsy designers were like 6 months out. 

Here's the pic I found on Pinterest that originally helped me figure out the scheme... it basically started because the venue chairs were dark red and I didn't want to have to rent chair covers.  The venue owner said he had never seen someone use a scheme like ours at his barn, so that's cool. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/237916792790831598/  

Here's the link to our wedding photographer's blog to get a few ideas: http://kmweddingphotographers.blogspot.com/2015/09/jon-and-julie-september-12-2015.html  

Also a few pics: image

Married 9.12.15
  • Another place to look for inspiration is apples.  That was one of the ideas I thought of too, basically looking at the different shades of apples and going from there.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Ooh, I like the burnt brown, and rusty red suggestion...thanks!

Also, yes, you're right, he's not wearing a suit. My fiance will not be wearing a suit, he will be wearing something akin to what the groom is wearing in that photo. We don't so much care what is "proper" and what isn't - just want to be comfortable and ourselves on our big day :)

Mine isn't even wearing a tie, so no worries.

I love the tan vest that your H wore, @julieanne912! We'll do something like that, I think.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I really really wanted to avoid "traditional" fall colors for my October wedding so I ended up going for neutrals with an emphasis on texture. My flowers used a lot of dusty miller, seed pods, cotton bolls, hypericum berries, etc. with garden roses and hydrangeas. Mostly creams, pale greens, with some touches of blush. In my centerpieces and elsewhere my florist stuck in a few tiny orangish roses and they really accented everything beautifully!

These were some of my inspiration photos -

• Thanks to everyone so far, this is super helpful!
  • I agree with Julie Anne. Adding orange with be super beautiful for fall. Or even Orange/Red/Green I seen a picture of a wedding with those colors and it was unique and amazing. I think it would fit your theme. 
  • You might like the "the perfect palette" - an entire website dedicated to wedding colour scheme inspiration :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards