Catholic Weddings

What you won't see at Catholic weddings

Re: What you won't see at Catholic weddings

• Great article, I think I remember reading this a while ago. It might not be bad if you have non-Catholic guests that want to get a better idea of what the ceremony would be like.  My bridesmaid was baptist and had never been to Mass before, so we talked a bit before so she knew what to expect.  

With the "giving away" tradition, a lot of parishes encourage the couple to process down the aisle together, and I am so so glad that we did.  It was amazing to walk in together singing.

What we also did was my dad walked me to meet my now husband in the back of the church right before we got in line to process in.  It was a nice compromise since I kind of wanted to have my cake and eat it too with this.  My church was also set up very well for this, as there is a nice staircase that leads to the room at the back of the church.  

Also I love the For Your Marriage website.  Great for both wedding and marriage planning!
  • I wish I had read this before my daughter was married. She converted several years ago (before she met her husband). None of our family is Catholic. They did not process together though. She said she had always wanted her father to walk her down the aisle. However, the pronouncing of man and wife, no kiss, no presentation of the couple - it would have been nice to know in advance. My daughter was not very good at communicating things during the planning process though!
  • @ilovebeachmusic - Some of that sounds church to church kind of stuff.  I was married in a Catholic ceremony (H is, I'm not; not full mass) and we got to kiss and the priest did present us to the guests.

• @ilovebeachmusic - Some of that sounds church to church kind of stuff.  I was married in a Catholic ceremony (H is, I'm not; not full mass) and we got to kiss and the priest did present us to the guests.
    That could be. They also had a full mass so maybe that was the difference. I think the priest was pretty old school. He is actually an auxiliary bishop. I know a lot of things differ parish to parish. The hoops we had to jump through at this church were ridiculous!
    That could be. They also had a full mass so maybe that was the difference. I think the priest was pretty old school. He is actually an auxiliary bishop. I know a lot of things differ parish to parish. The hoops we had to jump through at this church were ridiculous!
    As a non-Catholic and having heard lots of horror stories about the hoops, I was very pleased at how easy the parish we married in made it.  I was more frustrated with the musical director and the wedding coordinator than the churches requirements.

• MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2015

My Dad walked me down the aisle as well...  I don't think there was any question on that part of things. 

For us, the priest announced it directly after the vows instead of some big announcement at the end.  We opted to wait to kiss until we got to the back of church because I wanted the "photo op" to be like my parents had done for theirs but the photographer messed it up... (was suppose to be a silhouette from the inside facing outside)..  H isn't a big kisser, so we chose to do it at the back of the church LOL...

@ilovebeachmusic - Some of that sounds church to church kind of stuff.  I was married in a Catholic ceremony (H is, I'm not; not full mass) and we got to kiss and the priest did present us to the guests.
    As a non-Catholic and having heard lots of horror stories about the hoops, I was very pleased at how easy the parish we married in made it.  I was more frustrated with the musical director and the wedding coordinator than the churches requirements.

By the time we got done dealing with the musical director I was ready to have a SILENT wedding!  DH wouldn't allow it because his Mom writes (church-type) music...  (I grew up in a church with no singing and 33 minute masses as the norm, the music director played music so dang loud all I was asking is for him to take the volume down a hair because I didn't want to have tinnitus the rest of the day...)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards