DIY Wedding Forum

DIY Altars

My friend has offered to help me make my altar, once I figure out what I want it to look like. So I'm hoping to enlist your help, since I have no idea what I'm doing. Friend can make basically anything, she just needs to know what.

The building is a 1920's art deco style former bank. We'll hold the ceremony on the right side balcony in front of the door with the exit sign (hence the need for an altar). The cocktail hour is on the left and the reception will be on the main floor. I'm not going full on Great Gatsby, but I do want whatever decor we have to compliment the building. It's a winter wedding (not Christmas) and our colors are a dark purple, light green, blush and gold.

Re: DIY Altars

• What type of ceremony? I say that because you may want something that temporarily will block everyone from seeing the exit (you can't cover it because of laws, but that doesn't mean you can't design something that is tall enough to "hide" it)...
  • MesmrEwe said:

What type of ceremony? I say that because you may want something that temporarily will block everyone from seeing the exit (you can't cover it because of laws, but that doesn't mean you can't design something that is tall enough to "hide" it)...

Short, sweet, and secular:). The altar will be about 8 feet in front of the sign for egress, but I'd like it to be tall enough to cover the exit sign (about 8' off of the floor).
  • Those exit signs are there for a reason. I doubt very much if you would be allowed to cover them for safety reasons.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

Those exit signs are there for a reason. I doubt very much if you would be allowed to cover them for safety reasons.

We can't cover the sign directly, but we can build an altar that is taller than it as long as we have a means of egress behind it that is 8' wide. My goal isn't necessarily to hide the exit sign, I mean it's just a sign. I want to create a prettier background that is more formal in appearance than an open door frame.
  • I just realized my original post made the sign sound like the problem, sorry about that, it's just not a pretty wall.
  • Why don't you just use the area above the big clock? It is the focus of the room.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

Why don't you just use the area above the big clock? It is the focus of the room.

The balcony goes behind the clock not in front of it so it's too small back there. Ideally, we would host a receiving line there in between the ceremony and cocktail hour. Previous weddings have either used the side we like, or have split the guests on either sides of the balcony and held the ceremony below the windows here, but that's not conducive to our Deaf guests (because of interpreter positioning).
  • I do have to say I like the positioning in the middle where the picture shows - and position the interpreters to the back side up there as almost a second officiant in a sense.

The "what are you going to do with it after" is my one concern when it comes to the side if you choose to do it in front of the exit... Followed by how much do you want to spend.. I'd create a mock stage area using draping (DIY vs. renting can be a wash) which would cover the exit without actually covering it KWIM... While I understand you're doing a secular ceremony, to give height the garden-arch with some floral "filler flower fluff" might be your best bet.

This arch is relatively cheap, spray it gold to coordinate, then add greenery in to finish the look.

From there, I'd add a small round table with linen to match your colors, and call it golden!
  • MesmrEwe said:
    I do have to say I like the positioning in the middle where the picture shows - and position the interpreters to the back side up there as almost a second officiant in a sense. The "what are you going to do with it after" is my one concern when it comes to the side if you choose to do it in front of the exit... Followed by how much do you want to spend.. I'd create a mock stage area using draping (DIY vs. renting can be a wash) which would cover the exit without actually covering it KWIM... While I understand you're doing a secular ceremony, to give height the garden-arch with some floral "filler flower fluff" might be your best bet. This arch is relatively cheap, spray it gold to coordinate, then add greenery in to finish the look. From there, I'd add a small round table with linen to match your colors, and call it golden!
    Thanks, that's pretty!  

My concern for the middle ceremony option is the visibility.  Ideally, the terp would be near the officiant, as you suggested, but that's too far for the Deaf attendees, especially the (2) blind/Deaf attendees, which includes my mom.  The alternative is to have the terp closer to the guests, but then they have to go back and forth between us and the terp.

The lady in black here is the terp, she's perfectly positioned next to the couple and in front of the guests:

• Essentially the interpreter is going to need those individuals needing their services in a "place of honor"/reserved seating.  It's a tough call for how to arrange it best without obstructing any other guest's view and would say trust your instincts...
  • MesmrEwe said:
    Essentially the interpreter is going to need those individuals needing their services in a "place of honor"/reserved seating.  It's a tough call for how to arrange it best without obstructing any other guest's view and would say trust your instincts...
    I'm going to be working a corporate Holiday party there next month and possibly a wedding in the late winter so I'm going to have to have to do some research while I have access to the building.:). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards