Wedding Party

Wedding party bonding

Hi! I was just reading an article about ideas to get your wedding party to bond and I thought they were pretty neat. I am wondering if any of you have done any group activities with your party and had good reaults? We have a 15 year old, a 20 year old, two 23 year olds, a 24 year old, and two 26 year olds. They have all met briefly before, but never really hung out. Any ideas or in your opinion is it not really a big deal? Thanks!

Re: Wedding party bonding

• A lot of people here will tell you not to worry about this. As long as everyone gets along on the wedding day and any other wedding-related events, it's not a big deal if they don't "bond" - especially if "bonding" involves anything that your 15 year old or your 20 year old can't participate in due to being underage.
  • Please don't force your bridal party members to bond. There's no need for this.
  • Why do they need to bond? They don't have to be besties. They don't even have to like each other. The only reason that they are grouped together is because of your wedding. Once the day is over with they just go back to their normal lives and their own friends.

If they want to communicate to plan a shower or bach party for you, then they will do so. But they definitely don't have to be buddy buddy to do so.

They are all shy and awkward around each other, which is why I thought of just having a BBC or something simple and casual. I just hope it won't be awkward on the wedding day, because I know that I will be worried if everyone is tense and awkward around for photos and stuff.

I am not overly concerned, just thought I'd ask. Thanks!
  • Jen4948 said:

A lot of people here will tell you not to worry about this. As long as everyone gets along on the wedding day and any other wedding-related events, it's not a big deal if they don't "bond" - especially if "bonding" involves anything that your 15 year old or your 20 year old can't participate in due to being underage.

Thanks! I would definitely make it something they could participate in, like a backyard bbq or something. But I am not so concerned with them getting a long, they all do. Just to be more comfortable around each other. Thanks again!
  • edited November 2015
    Aschive said:

Why do they need to bond? They don't have to be besties. They don't even have to like each other. The only reason that they are grouped together is because of your wedding. Once the day is over with they just go back to their normal lives and their own friends.

If they want to communicate to plan a shower or bach party for you, then they will do so. But they definitely don't have to be buddy buddy to do so.

They are all shy and awkward around each other, which is why I thought of just having a BBC or something simple and casual. I just hope it won't be awkward on the wedding day, because I know that I will be worried if everyone is tense and awkward around for photos and stuff.

Shy and awkward people are only going to be more shy and awkward if you force them to "bond" and socialize. People don't need to be best friends to pose for pictures. You are overthinking this.
  • Please don't force your bridal party members to bond. There's no need for this.

It wouldn't be forcing, it would be whoever wants to come can. I am not aaying i am going to do something, but if I did it would be more along the lines of 'hey we are having a bbq if you want to come over.' Thanks for your input though!
  • Aschive said:

Hi! I was just reading an article about ideas to get your wedding party to bond and I thought they were pretty neat. I am wondering if any of you have done any group activities with your party and had good reaults? We have a 15 year old, a 20 year old, two 23 year olds, a 24 year old, and two 26 year olds. They have all met briefly before, but never really hung out. Any ideas or in your opinion is it not really a big deal? Thanks!

Aschive said:

Why do they need to bond? They don't have to be besties. They don't even have to like each other. The only reason that they are grouped together is because of your wedding. Once the day is over with they just go back to their normal lives and their own friends.

A BBQ is never a bad idea. I just wouldn't call it a "bonding" event. Also, chances are if someone throws you a shower or something, they will meet then.
  • Yeah, I don't like people. So while I might attend a BBQ that my friend is throwing. If she's throwing an event so that I can bond with her other friends, I have other plans that day.
  • adk19 said:

Yeah, I don't like people. So while I might attend a BBQ that my friend is throwing. If she's throwing an event so that I can bond with her other friends, I have other plans that day.

This is what I was thinking. If they're all so shy and awkward around each other, maybe they won't want to attend a bbq together? Don't they just have to walk and stand somewhat close to each other? Why do they need to bond for that?
  • auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    If you do a BBQ or something, maybe invite their SOs as well. Or mutual friends. Just more people so that for any given girl, the only person she knows at the BBQ isn't just you. Because this will just continue the awkwardness. Some people need a net of a few other people at social events. (and at this point I wouldn't make it wedding related. Just friend related)
  • Have a party if you and your FI want to, but don't expect awkward people to bond over hot dogs/your wedding.

• Handcuffs, nipple clamps and floggers?

• Please don't. Shy and awkward people are going to be...shy and awkward. You may not think you're forcing them to come by planning an event, but honestly, they're going to feel pressured to come. I hate these types of events. You want to go shopping and hang out with your girl friends? Then invite them out. But don't make it about the wedding and don't pressure them to "bond."

• Ugh. Even the title of this post made me cringe.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • adk19 said:
    Yeah, I don't like people. So while I might attend a BBQ that my friend is throwing. If she's throwing an event so that I can bond with her other friends, I have other plans that day.
    This, exactly this.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thanks everyone!
  • Was in a wedding recently where the bride and groom hosted a BBQ for wedding party. BMs and GMs were all invited, most brought their SOs, and the couple's parents were there as well. It wasn't really an attempt to have us bond, more just so everyone could meet each other before the rehearsal. I would suggest something low key to let everyone meet, but agree with PP there is no need for the WP to "bond."
  • I don't talk to 90% of the people that I've been a bridesmaid with and I don't intent to. They are the bride's friends/ family, not mine. Nothing awkward about pictures...we were all smiling because we were all elated for the bride...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards