Chit Chat

S/O Tell us about your HOA

2»

Re: S/O Tell us about your HOA

• banana468 said:
    DH and I don't have a HOA for our house but we have the condo association for our rental property.   They're fairly relaxed but the only PITA was when they kept calling us to move our 3rd car when it snowed.

My issue: The association previously said that if we were going to be parking cars and inclement weather was forecasted, we should park by the fence on the perimeter of the lot so have the least impact to other vehicles.   So we would park the 3rd car there as it was used the least. (We did not have any garage) 3rd car is a Honda S2000 which is a sports car with a manual transmission.   I don't know how to drive it.   The association would give about 5 min notice that the plow was coming and we were told to get in our cars so the parking lot could be cleared.   I got a call one afternoon that the neighbors were complaining that the car wasn't moved quickly.   I complained right back that we needed more notice to move cars and that we were fine to keep the car there.   Leave it where we did did not do anything to other vehicles other than leave some snow on the ground.   And with a winter in New England, we get snow.   If you don't like it don't live here.

And considering our neighbor's parked car was totaled on the street, there was NO WAY we were parking the car there.  

Luckily we now have a house with a garage and no more complaints. 
    So you parked your car where you were told to park it for inclement weather and still got shit?!  Ridiculous!

Definitely different, but this reminds me of two years ago when we were getting a bunch of snow like every other day.  We, as the board, told people to please move their cars off the street when it snowed because of the plows needing to come through.  Our roads aren't huge and there is very little places to put snow.  So one day we got a shit ton of snow.  This one neighbor in the back had a car parked in the street.  They live at the end of a street where snow is usually piled.  So we sent an email and even walked over to their home and asked them to move their car since the plow was on its way (they were home by the way).  They didn't move it.  Our snow removal guy comes and before plowing their street asks them to move their car again.  They refuse.  Well the plow, plowed the street and in doing so plowed the car in.  The neighbors were pissed!  All we could do is shrug our shoulders and say "you were asked multiple times to move your vehicle as well as made aware that when it snowed you needed to move your car from the street.  The roads need to be plowed and if you don't move your vehicle then plowing it in is what will happen."

• CMGragain said:
    DH is the reluctant president of our HOA.  We have no pool or amenities.  Mostly the rules protect us from our neighbors.  If anyone wants to alter their exterior, they need to run it by the HOA first.  No RVs, derelict vehicles, or boats parked permanently in the driveway or street.  Nobody living out of a tent in the back yard.  No barnyard animals, though there is a farm with cattle two block away!  Fence rules. You need to keep your grass cut.  Since we are in the west, there are rules for when you can water your lawn.  (We take turns so it doesn't overtax the system.)
    There are always one or two people who think the rules don't apply to them.  One is across the street from us.  Usually  most people co-operate.  We all want a nice neighborhood.
    DH has the unhappy task of calling on people when there has been a complaint, or when they don't pay their HOA dues.  He hasn't had a big problem with anybody, yet.
    I feel for your hubby, that's a thankless job. I imagine when he runs into any of your neighbors, there's a good chance they want to mention something that pisses them off. At least, that's been my experience with my neighbor/board member. I think he permanently winces whenever he sees someone outside.
    I get a lot of neighbors complaining about shit.  It is exhausting.  I have talked about dog poop so much I want to scream.  We also have a landscape company come to cut the grass each week.  Well one neighbor thinks they are coming to often and another that thinks that they aren't coming enough while another bitches because a few sprigs of cut grass are left on her front stoop.  And if it snows, holy hell I just want to hide.  We are a tiny neighborhood so we are generally low on the list when it comes to plowing.  Our vendor comes but it won't be right when the first snowflake hits the ground.  They have other places they plow, such as nursing homes, assisted living places, that are of higher importance.  Ugh, we got so much "when are they coming?!  I need my sidewalk cleared!  It is slippery!  They piled too much snow in that one area."  It is just non-stop.

• banana468 said:
    DH and I don't have a HOA for our house but we have the condo association for our rental property.   They're fairly relaxed but the only PITA was when they kept calling us to move our 3rd car when it snowed.

My issue: The association previously said that if we were going to be parking cars and inclement weather was forecasted, we should park by the fence on the perimeter of the lot so have the least impact to other vehicles.   So we would park the 3rd car there as it was used the least. (We did not have any garage) 3rd car is a Honda S2000 which is a sports car with a manual transmission.   I don't know how to drive it.   The association would give about 5 min notice that the plow was coming and we were told to get in our cars so the parking lot could be cleared.   I got a call one afternoon that the neighbors were complaining that the car wasn't moved quickly.   I complained right back that we needed more notice to move cars and that we were fine to keep the car there.   Leave it where we did did not do anything to other vehicles other than leave some snow on the ground.   And with a winter in New England, we get snow.   If you don't like it don't live here.

And considering our neighbor's parked car was totaled on the street, there was NO WAY we were parking the car there.  

Luckily we now have a house with a garage and no more complaints. 
    So you parked your car where you were told to park it for inclement weather and still got shit?!  Ridiculous!

Definitely different, but this reminds me of two years ago when we were getting a bunch of snow like every other day.  We, as the board, told people to please move their cars off the street when it snowed because of the plows needing to come through.  Our roads aren't huge and there is very little places to put snow.  So one day we got a shit ton of snow.  This one neighbor in the back had a car parked in the street.  They live at the end of a street where snow is usually piled.  So we sent an email and even walked over to their home and asked them to move their car since the plow was on its way (they were home by the way).  They didn't move it.  Our snow removal guy comes and before plowing their street asks them to move their car again.  They refuse.  Well the plow, plowed the street and in doing so plowed the car in.  The neighbors were pissed!  All we could do is shrug our shoulders and say "you were asked multiple times to move your vehicle as well as made aware that when it snowed you needed to move your car from the street.  The roads need to be plowed and if you don't move your vehicle then plowing it in is what will happen."
    Exactly.   And during times that it snowed, the other issue is that the town would say that there was no on street parking allowed.   So we followed the law by keeping our cars off the street.   And we were perfectly fine having to dig out the convertible sports car if we opted to drive it in the middle of the winter.   
    But there were people in the small association (16 units total) who liked things the way that they liked them.   And when people didn't do the things that they wanted they complained.   I was all about dinging people who didn't pay their condo fees or annual assessments but FFS it's winter and a car and it snows and if you can't handle a little snow in the driveway or on the car move to a warmer climate.    DH and I didn't complain that we felt like they called the plow because it only snowed an inch or two.  

My IL's live in a large community with a much larger association.   I actually understand some of their laws like no commercial vehicles parked outside and you aren't allowed to park a pickup truck outside.   But the community they live in is for 55 and over and you get a complete list of the rules when you move in because they have something like 1000 units.   
  • We don't have a HOA but I live in a pretty old neighborhood and a few years ago the city got a bug up their ass with weird ordinance laws. Everyone got a note saying that garages (almost all are detached) needed to have the address on it. Okay, sure. But they have very specific (three inch, specific font thing) requirements and gave everyone like one day to do it. A guy a few blocks away apparently got pissed and painted the numbers like five feet tall across his garage door. It was hilarious. It's still there.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  •  

My IL's live in a large community with a much larger association.   I actually understand some of their laws like no commercial vehicles parked outside and you aren't allowed to park a pickup truck outside.   But the community they live in is for 55 and over and you get a complete list of the rules when you move in because they have something like 1000 units.   
    Other cars can be outside but not a pickup?
  • kvruns said:

Our neighborhood would be screwed. Literally everyone on our street has at least one pickup.  They're family cars around here haha!  
    Married 9.12.15
  • kvruns said:

Our neighborhood would be screwed. Literally everyone on our street has at least one pickup.  They're family cars around here haha!  
    Same in our neighborhood.  Also, all the trucks in our neighborhood are freaking huge and I really don't think they would physically fit into our garages.

• kvruns said:

So would ours.   Must be a CO thing.     :tongue: 

We rent but there is a HOA.    I've been here almost 2 years and nothing really sticks out has being crazy.    There are a few commercial trucks in the parking lot, so  I guess they are okay.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • kvruns said:

Same in our neighborhood.  Also, all the trucks in our neighborhood are freaking huge and I really don't think they would physically fit into our garages.
    Every unit (or almost all) have a garage.   So I believe you would be allowed to park it inside.   But no pickup trucks are allowed outside.   When FIL was looking for a car to purchase that he could use to tow his boat, that's when he went to look at older Suburbans and Ford Expeditions.     The boat cannot be stored in visible area either.   Again, this is a large condo area and I know that the association has these clear rules to make it known that there can't be any deviation.   

But because the area is a community in itself with its own contracted interior property management, there is little to complain about.   
  • banana468 said:
    kvruns said:

Every unit (or almost all) have a garage.   So I believe you would be allowed to park it inside.   But no pickup trucks are allowed outside.   When FIL was looking for a car to purchase that he could use to tow his boat, that's when he went to look at older Suburbans and Ford Expeditions.     The boat cannot be stored in visible area either.   Again, this is a large condo area and I know that the association has these clear rules to make it known that there can't be any deviation.   

But because the area is a community in itself with its own contracted interior property management, there is little to complain about.   
    But what is it about pickup trucks that are so obscene that they must be inside at all times?  I get not parking a boat in the lot, but a pickup truck?  It is just so...odd.

I honestly believe that a lot of HOA rules are completely idiotic and those that create them are equally idiotic.

• banana468 said:

kvruns said:

But what is it about pickup trucks that are so obscene that they must be inside at all times?  I get not parking a boat in the lot, but a pickup truck?  It is just so...odd.

I honestly believe that a lot of HOA rules are completely idiotic and those that create them are equally idiotic.

I think that they don't want the residents piling pickup trucks with anything that can be put in a flat bed that is visible and they want to avoid the look of anything resembling a commercial vehicle.

I also think that the rule is old but reinforced and loved by those on the board who are a generation older than my ILS.
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    kvruns said:

I think that they don't want the residents piling pickup trucks with anything that can be put in a flat bed that is visible and they want to avoid the look of anything resembling a commercial vehicle. I also think that the rule is old but reinforced and loved by those on the board who are a generation older than my ILS.
    Ah yes because commercial vehicles are also obscene and just make the neighborhood look horrible **major eye-rolling happening here**

And sadly these "old rules" are still prevelant in a lot of HOAs, even in brand new developments.  I would love to the person who created these rules their thinking behind them.  Because apparently commercial vehicles are the devil and your neighborhood will be over run with blue collared workers who will walk around in their boxers and wife beaters that don't cover their bellies and drinking beer in their recliner which sits in their front yard.

• What's funny is, most pickup trucks cost more than a new BMW.  
    Married 9.12.15

• banana468 said:

banana468 said:

kvruns said:

I think that they don't want the residents piling pickup trucks with anything that can be put in a flat bed that is visible and they want to avoid the look of anything resembling a commercial vehicle.

I also think that the rule is old but reinforced and loved by those on the board who are a generation older than my ILS.

Ah yes because commercial vehicles are also obscene and just make the neighborhood look horrible **major eye-rolling happening here**

And sadly these "old rules" are still prevelant in a lot of HOAs, even in brand new developments.  I would love to the person who created these rules their thinking behind them.  Because apparently commercial vehicles are the devil and your neighborhood will be over run with blue collared workers who will walk around in their boxers and wife beaters that don't cover their bellies and drinking beer in their recliner which sits in their front yard.

Exactly. It's all part of the "wedding are a 55 and over community" so those working are on the younger end of the residents.

And don't get me started on the pickup truck thing as a whole. They're the most common vehicle sold and exempt from the guzzler tax. It's absurd!
  • Our other house is in a rather oppressive HOA which sucks because while other homes in the city have gone back up since the bubble, ours has stayed the same as after the bubble burst (We'd lose $50K to sell it at this point).  Then dues are ~$175/mo. which covers mowing and plowing.  We're required to also pay for repairs deemed necessary by the association on the exterior which they set up/arrange for. 

It'd be great to be able to rent that house out but the HOA won't allow it.  When I moved in (DH owned it before we were dating), it wasn't as far gone as it is now for the HOA rules.  Now we can't even replace a broken leaking basement window without permission, approval, and meeting arbitrary specifications which the meeting only happens once a month, so they can fine us if we proceeded without permission.  All garage door replacements must be through a particular company/contractor instead of just specifying "Brand/style doors and letting people price it out themselves or even DIY the installation.  No planters of any sort, grills can't be left outside, can't put up a volleyball net, etc.  It has definitely become a "closed garage" community since the time I moved in there to now.  I think the one neighbors next to ours have sold four times, and couldn't pull the current owner out of a line-up if I tried...  It's really kind of sad on a lot of levels! 

At least the house we're in now is a great neighborhood, no HOA's, and I couldn't ask for nicer neighbors than I've got! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards