Chit Chat

Spurgeon Elliot Seewald (duggar)

So this is the newest Duggar grandchild's name.  Jessa and Ben wanted a strong name.  Named after Charles Spurgeon who was a pastor in England back in the 19th century. 

This is the urban dictionary definition of spurgeon (apparently written on Nov 12, 2013):

A beer guzzlin, bacon frying, big dick swingin bad ass motherfucker. Someone you really want to have on your side when shit hits the fan. Someone you'd let nail your old lady just for the story. A man that makes Chuck Norris tremble just hearing his name. Someone that seeps testosterone out of every pore of his body. Spurgeon, the man of all men.
Look at that Spurgeon go! -Chuck Norris
by Hoss420 November 12, 2013

Well I guess they got their strong name.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: Spurgeon Elliot Seewald (duggar)

• Poor kid. They've also chosen a nickname for him - Quincy.

http://www.people.com/article/jessa-duggar-seewald-baby-spurgeon-nickname-quincy

• I guess naming him just Quincy or IDK.... Charles wasn't good enough.      Heck even Quincy Spurgeon Seewald would be better.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Gag. That's the worst name I've heard in a long while.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I'm dying over here!  Poor child.
  • Courtesy of FreeJinger, Spurgeon the Virgin.  Good thing he'll get homeschooled
    I love to lurk on freejinger.  They must be dying.

• "He is going to have this name for the rest of his life," Ben said.

Unless he legally changes it. I would with a name like that.
  • Poor kid is going to have an identity crisis:

Jessa said on Facebook:

Question asker: He's adorable! Will he go by Spurgeon or Elliot?

Jessa Seewald Both, but everybody still calls him Quincy!

My grandfather had an unusual first and middle name.  He was called a 3rd  name that had ZERO connection to either name.   Never did figure how he got his nickname.

I worked with a guy who's name is Bobby.  His legal name is Marvin (no middle name).    He was called Bobby because his dad's name was Bobby and he was "Little Bobby".       Umm, okay, why not just name him Robert then?

• I work with a Cyrus who goes by Bill for no reason.  I call him Billiam since everyone assumes his real name is William.
  • I have high school students like this.  Reading off the roster on the first day of school.... "Actually, my name is Lauren".  Ok, then wtf does it say your name is Christina?  Lauren's not even your middle name?  Since when do we get to just choose any random name for ourself?  Ok, whatever, Princess Consuela Banana Hammock!

As for Spurgeon, I'm worried his terrible name is the LEAST of this poor child's problems.

SaveSave
  • MIL had a habit of doing this.  She called both of her sons (incl. DH) by their middle names, and I always wondered why she didn't just choose those as first names.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Heffalump said:
    MIL had a habit of doing this.  She called both of her sons (incl. DH) by their middle names, and I always wondered why she didn't just choose those as first names.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I say this tongue-in-cheek, but someone probably had a meddling mother in law or grandmother around somewhere, and they're such a people pleaser that they just HAD to do xyz name to keep the peace. Then they call the kid what they really wanted to call them. 

• Heffalump said:
    MIL had a habit of doing this.  She called both of her sons (incl. DH) by their middle names, and I always wondered why she didn't just choose those as first names.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I say this tongue-in-cheek, but someone probably had a meddling mother in law or grandmother around somewhere, and they're such a people pleaser that they just HAD to do xyz name to keep the peace. Then they call the kid what they really wanted to call them. 

This is one of 4,385 reasons why I don't want kids. My H's family basically has two first names that they just flip flop every generation. H's name is the same as his grandpa's and his dad's name is just the two names flipped. I don't like either of them and H would have wanted to continue with that.

An old friend of mine continued with the family and named her son Name Name Name III. She calls him Tre.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Sorry the only thing I think of when I hear Spurgeon is of Moody Spurgeon, that awful boy from Anne of Green Gables.  

Married 9.12.15
  • This is all I can think of

• edited November 2015
    This is my immediate vision. Sturgeon.

ETA picture

• Oh, it also sounds like a mix of "sperm" and "virgin"... Spurgeon the sperm virgin.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I can't get over that there is literally "purge" in the middle of the name. Such an unpleasant association. 
  • I think of "sturgeon", a good, strong, fish.
  • monkeysip said:
    I have high school students like this.  Reading off the roster on the first day of school.... "Actually, my name is Lauren".  Ok, then wtf does it say your name is Christina?  Lauren's not even your middle name?  Since when do we get to just choose any random name for ourself?  Ok, whatever, Princess Consuela Banana Hammock!

As for Spurgeon, I'm worried his terrible name is the LEAST of this poor child's problems.
    I have a student whose name is Elizabeth M (for middle name) and A (for last name).  I was told on the first day that she goes by "Ema", based on her initials.  What a waste of two perfectly good names.
  • Sorry the only thing I think of when I hear Spurgeon is of Moody Spurgeon, that awful boy from Anne of Green Gables.  

Holy crap. That's the bully from "A Christmas Story". Does he play an awful boy in everything?

Holy crap. That's the bully from "A Christmas Story". Does he play an awful boy in everything?
    OMG you know I never even put the two together... it's totally the same kid!!!  A Christmas Story was his first movie, Anne of Green Gables was his second. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0911933/  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Two of my siblings go buy their middle name...Catholic family, everyone is named after someone. One is bc no one really goes by Mary when you have as many as my family did. And the other was so not to confuse him with his namesake.

A third sibling goes by Bud, bc yet another sibling decided to start caging him that when Rudey on The Cosby Show started calling Kenney, Bud. But how do you argue with 5 year old when she renames her younger brother? 24 years later it had still stuck.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Hoping I don't zombie this post {apologies ahead of time}

My family has a weird way with nicknames. My poppa's real name was Gerald, close friends/family called him Mick. It wasn't just him, there were others.

Poor kid with a name like that though .... jeez!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards