Attire & Accessories Forum

What's wrong with David's Bridal?

My wedding is not until March 18, 2017, but I have still been looking up, saving and pinning dresses...I know David's Bridal has a bad reputation for being "tacky" or whatever, and I know brides prefer the boutique style gowns...I don't mean to offend anyone who is a DB or Alfred Angelo bride (I love the dresses of Alfred Angelo), but yeah there's even an article stating why it's not that bad to get a dress there http://apracticalwedding.com/2013/01/davids-bridal-wedding-dresses-are-ok/

I have a budget of $1000 for my dress, and I am currently on the DB website right now and I see some dresses that are beautiful! We will be already coughing up $30k for this wedding, and I do feel the pressure of having to buy from a boutique, which I will look into if there's a dress I love within my budget, but those types of salons will not have that price range (unless i get it in a sample size). But yeah. What is your opinion on the bridal chain shops like DB and AA?

Re: What's wrong with David's Bridal?

• My wedding is not until March 18, 2017, but I have still been looking up, saving and pinning dresses...I know David's Bridal has a bad reputation for being "tacky" or whatever, and I know brides prefer the boutique style gowns...I don't mean to offend anyone who is a DB or Alfred Angelo bride (I love the dresses of Alfred Angelo), but yeah there's even an article stating why it's not that bad to get a dress there http://apracticalwedding.com/2013/01/davids-bridal-wedding-dresses-are-ok/

I have a budget of $1000 for my dress, and I am currently on the DB website right now and I see some dresses that are beautiful! We will be already coughing up $30k for this wedding, and I do feel the pressure of having to buy from a boutique, which I will look into if there's a dress I love within my budget, but those types of salons will not have that price range (unless i get it in a sample size). But yeah. What is your opinion on the bridal chain shops like DB and AA?
    As a general rule of thumb I try to patronize locally owned businesses as much as possible.  However, for my wedding, I'm using a local venue, caterer, photographer, florist and the list goes on so if I like a dress at David's that saves me money over my current favorite, I'll likely buy it.
  • Nothing wrong with it - though be sure to research it as you would any other bridal shop you're considering purchasing from.  Some stores are better than others, it's not limited to David's. 
  • CMGragain said:
    You are buying a dress that you are going to wear for ONE DAY in your whole life.  How much should you spend for that one day?  Only you can decide.
    David's Bridal is a fantastic place for brides on a budget.  Be aware they they have more profit in accessories that they would love to sell you - like veils, shoes, undergarments, etc.  Many of these items are better bought elsewhere.

Their alterations are only as good as the local seamstress that they employ.  Many brides prefer to have their dresses altered locally by a seamstress they trust.

Personally. if I have a chance to buy a high end dress, I would rather buy something that I can wear for years than to blow that money on a dress I can only wear once.

I will say this though - they're one of the best places to find a long-line bra for those of us in the plus sizes because of shaping issues (after my little guy I've got a larger tummy that not even spanx can shape) and they had one that fit my waist and FF's...  The unfortunate part is the ones they carry are meant to last through the alterations process and one day of wear - any more than that and just no...  won't hold...
  • I got my dress at DB and couldn't be happier. I didn't let them sell me anything else, though, and I did heed warnings here not to use them for alterations. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Add me to the list of got my dress at DB and love it. They were more in line with my price range than any of the non-franchise shops were. Now I went in expecting that I would not be the only bride my consultant was juggling and I left myself plenty of time for ordering. I also triple checked my order when placing it and went over my dress with a fine tooth comb when it came in. I'm also choosing to buy my slip and accessories from ebay or craigslist and my alterations will be done by my friend's seamstress. Personally I think they're an affordable place for those of us who don't have much to spend.
  • Getting a David's Bridal (or Alfred Angelo) dress is not tacky. Buying from a boutique is also not tacky. Neither one makes you a better person or bride, or will make your marriage any stronger or weaker.

What IS tacky is judging other brides based on their dress, or their dress manufacturer. Do you like the style? Does it fit? Is it in your budget? Awesome. That's all that matters.
    THIS!  Brilliant!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I am DB bride, and I absolutely love my dress!

I went there to sort of get an idea for a dress, with no intentions on buying one at all, and the first one I tried on was the winner. They still encouraged me to try others, and I did, but still stuck with the first one. And since I wasn't prepared to buy one that day, they also gave me a super reduced price to hold it until pay day. Instead of having to put 25% down, they let me do 5%. It was just awesome customer service.

I think as long as you love the way you look, and its within your budget, then who cares where it came from ?

• There isn't anything "tacky" about getting your dress at David's Bridal. If you find a dress you love there that fits your budget, that's all that matters. I didn't look there myself, but that was because I didn't see anything on their website that I could see myself wearing.

The concerns I've heard about DB have more to do with their service than their dresses. Apparently their stores vary a lot in terms of the quality of service; some are good and some are not so good. But honestly, that's true of bridal shops in general, so if you think you'll find a dress you like there, I wouldn't necessarily let that stop you.
  • Wow, these were some amazing responses! Thank you guys so much!

jacques27, I do like mixing high end products (NARS, MAC, Coach, etc.) with low end (Target, Forever 21, H&M...I shop at Macy's and people turn their nose up at it?!) so it's not really an issue to me.

I actually have been looking up David's Bridal dresses I really love. I think I'm going to go there first to get a dress since my budget is $1,000. We are already spending $17-$19k on the venues alone ($1,500 for the church ceremony and the rest to a swanky 4-star hotel that already provides catering), and yeah I'm bracing myself because I know how expensive the flowers and photography will be. Plus, I have student loans, have a huge dental bill to pay (I got sedated last month because I needed a lot of work on my teeth), and I'm still job hunting (I just graduated in college in May, and I just turned 26 so I'm off of my mom's insurance). 

I do hear that David's Bridal has poor service, but I researched the one in my area (Sacramento, CA) and that particular store has nothing but great reviews, and the consultants are amazing and kind. So I'm going to save the dresses and the style #'s so when I go there, I'll show them which dresses I want. Although I keep hearing that you will most likely end up getting the dress you think you will hate or vice versa, I really want a ballgown (not too poofy) with tulle, or an off-shoulder lace gown with sleeves (a-line or trumpet). I don't want mermaid because I am pear-shaped, and definitely not sheath for that reason (I used to envision myself in a sheath dress when I was 17–21, but even at my thinnest I still had curves, and I think it's not fancy enough for a hotel ballroom setting). I know you're supposed to keep an open mind, but I hope I do end up loving the dresses I choose.

Here's examples of the ones I like (from David's Bridal, all of which are within my budget):

• @mrspadilla2017  I love that first one! I just had to look it up, and I saw it comes in a blush. so in love.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I used to work for Davids Bridal and actually had every intention of buying my dress there, but fell in love with a dress somewhere else. But the dresses are beautiful and reasonably priced at DB.  You will find something within your budget and be happy.  The people that generally avoid DB are because they used to have a reputation of being a discount store but they are trying to move into a more boutique feel while still being affordable.  I got all of my accessories and bridesmaids dresses there and am very happy with everything!
  • I found that the DB dresses just didn't fit me right. The cut of the dresses just didn't flatter me. I also wasn't a fan that most of the dresses I liked were discontinued and couldn't try on in the store. You were able to order them, but weren't able to try them on. Other than that DB was my first pick. Keep in mind if you looking for dresses now, they may not be in the store to try on. I loved the Oleg Cassino dresses, they were pricey though!
  • I too will be a DB bride in January.  I was very pleased with the service I received,not just for my dress but my BM as well. I do agree with all these statements though.you get the dress that speaks to you and don't worry what others think. If someone at your wedding has  negative things to say about your dress that's their problem. Besides, is anyone really going to know if you purchased your dress from a thrift store or high end boutique? Good luck and happy hunting!!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    My daughter did not buy her dress at DB, but theirs was a close second.  We found her dress at the very upscale Tyson's Galleria in Northern Virginia.

At the wedding, I overheard a friend ask my daughter, "Ooo, did you get your dress at David's Bridal?"  Daughter had the good sense to answer, "No, but we liked many of the dresses there."
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I love that first one. I had a lace ball gown from DB that had pockets too, best idea ever!
  • AddieCake said:

I got my dress at DB and couldn't be happier. I didn't let them sell me anything else, though, and I did heed warnings here not to use them for alterations. 

Same! They tried to sell me every accessory under the sun there and I was like just the dress please. "How about this keepsake box for 100 dollars only today!" Just the dress. I plan on getting my veil, jewelry and everything else from somewhere a little cheaper. I say go try on dresses at DB if you like one then buy it!
  • My sister bought her dress at DB. It was gorgeous! I looked at several and almost purchased one from them, but ultimately bought from simplybridal.com, which is pretty similar to DB in that they have lots of inexpensive dresses and aren't designer or boutique although they don't have very many physical stores and aren't as well know.
  • I got my dress at David's Bridal. As a plus size bride, they had the most in stock options for me to try on. Most bridal shops have their sample sizes in smaller sizes, so it's hard to get a good idea on how a dress will really look on you if it's the wrong size. I also loved the amount of variety they had for different budgets. They are also great if you are in a time crunch. Some dress shops you have to order your dress 6-9 months in advance. DB, their dresses come in much faster if you have to order it, or you can buy the one off the rack if they have it in your size. I think the big issue people have is their cost of alterations. Their charges are up there, but with the details of my dress, I was willing to pay the costs because I figured that they would have experience dealing with my specific dress and if they messed up, they would be able to easily replace my dress at their expense. My dress had a lot of details on the bottom and I didn't have a simple 3 point bustle either, so I didn't want to mess around with alterations. My sales rep was wonderful and didn't try to sell me anything extra except the slip and veil.
  • Erikan73 said:
    I got my dress at David's Bridal. As a plus size bride, they had the most in stock options for me to try on. Most bridal shops have their sample sizes in smaller sizes, so it's hard to get a good idea on how a dress will really look on you if it's the wrong size. I also loved the amount of variety they had for different budgets. They are also great if you are in a time crunch. Some dress shops you have to order your dress 6-9 months in advance. DB, their dresses come in much faster if you have to order it, or you can buy the one off the rack if they have it in your size. I think the big issue people have is their cost of alterations. Their charges are up there, but with the details of my dress, I was willing to pay the costs because I figured that they would have experience dealing with my specific dress and if they messed up, they would be able to easily replace my dress at their expense. My dress had a lot of details on the bottom and I didn't have a simple 3 point bustle either, so I didn't want to mess around with alterations. My sales rep was wonderful and didn't try to sell me anything extra except the slip and veil.
    Yeah, I do noticed that David's Bridal and Alfred Angelo offer more options for plus sized brides. I'm not plus sized but I'm not stick thin either (I gained 30 pounds due to being on prednisone), and I've heard stories about bridal salons being so rude to those who are above a certain size. I will keep my options open, but yeah I already signed up for an account and favorited my dresses so when I go there, I can try on my favorites. The thing I am worried about though is alterations because I want the ones with sleeves (my favorites are the top 2 and the last one). I am on a budget, I am already spending $30k on the wedding, so I want something that will make me look fabulous. It helps that there's always a sale too.

Thanks so much everyone for responding! You guys made me feel better about wanting to shop there, and now I'm itching to buy a dress soon! (I probably won't though until May or June)
  • you can get a budget gown in a bridal salon 
    designers such as mori lee, boney, jasmin, venus and allure all have dresses that start at 500 and go up to around 1500 some in the 2000 range my dress  made to order was 950 added a second strap a jacket for church purposes and alterations ended up paying 1200 
  • I actually had the better service with DB than the bridal salons. DB never questioned my request for covering my shoulders, salons kept saying how much prettier I looked without sleeves.

1 - I disagree. I looked a bit off in strapless gowns. I don't wear anything like that ever.

2 - Even if I really did look better, it doesn't matter since my diocese is known for being on the conservative side, and my parish is conservative in our diocese. Which local stores should know. DB got it right away. My shoulders have to be covered. End of discussion.

Granted, I went with BHLDN over DB, but same idea.
  • I was like that at first. Honestly I  had had not one but 2 terrible experiences at DB as a maid and I was SUPER apprehensive about even walking into the store. Much to my mother, I went in. SO glad i did!! I got my dress there for an AMAZING dress and veils! They were so so good to me! SO absolutely go with what you feel works best for your budget!! Good Luck to you!!
  • I had a bad experience in 2002 with a prior engagement here in New Hampshire, i said if i got engaged i never come back, well i lied dec 2014 im engaged 12 years later, my MOH dragged me, and i feared the worst im a plus size girl and all i could think about is looking like a jet puffed marshmello LOL well i was shocked found my dress 3 inches to small, but im able to fit in it after those 20lbs i lost wooo:) and im very happy with my plain and simple dress out of chiffon and was on rack for 499.00 with 20% off as well i lucked out
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Personally, I had better experiences at David's Bridal than I did at the boutique shops I went to. I ended up buying a sample gown from Brides for a Cause, but I went back to David's for bridesmaid dresses and I'll probably go back again for a veil.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I visited David's bridal 3 times and you're not going to be pampered, but it was fine. Unfortunately, my second visit I had a girl who was brand new and didn't have a great experience so decided to just go back later. She was very nice, but kept pulling dresses in the wrong size and telling me incorrect delivery dates. 

They did did have a couple dresses I was close to buying though. 
  • I found dresses I absolutely loved from David's bridal. I originally found my dream dress was gorgeous and over my budget but I got it anyway. 
    I then found out we were expecting a baby so had to return my dress and get another one that would allow more room for my bump.
    Sadly and unexpectedly, we then lost our baby so I again had to change my dress and went with something simpler and more in my budget. 
    The David's Bridal I went to was extremely patient and understanding with me. I loved every woman that helped me find a dress I could love in the worst possible situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards