Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Late night snacks

We had a good number-crunching session this week and realized we will have space in the budget for late night snacks.  Yay!  

My initial thought was sushi, since I don't like eating anything too heavy late at night, but FI pointed out people are likely to be drunk and tired and craving something a bit more hearty at that point.  I'd love nachos, but cheese, salsa, alcohol, formal wear and me sound like a deadly combination.  So maybe pizza?  Grilled cheeses?  Warm pretzels with dips?  

What do people think?

Re: Late night snacks

• I'm not a sushi person, and I've never heard of a drunk person craving sushi (personally, at least) so I think your FI is onto something. You're overthinking the 'deadly combination' issue. Red wine is the true nemesis of formal wear. :wink: 

What about grilled cheese? Maybe a fries/milkshake combo? (My diet is horrendous.)
  • Sorry - there are only two ways I potentially want to go with food when I'm drunk:  carbs and grease to soak up the booze or occasionally fruit salad when I feel I need something more refreshing (and that's probably not popular).  Never sushi (sushi is polarizing as it is - very few people are just meh about it - it's love or hate).

If you can get it at fast food drive thru or served at a stadium on game day, it'll probably be good drunk eats - burgers, fries, pizza, nachos, chicken fingers, potato skins.  You could also go the sweet route and do milk and cookies or an ice cream sundae bar.
  • Warm pretzels with dip sound really good! Nice and carby :)

• I love sushi.  LOVE.  But that's one of the last things I am craving at the end of the night when I've been drinking and dancing my ass off for several hours.  Our parents would also be 100% NOPE on that idea.  As PP said, sushi can be polarizing (as delicious as it is).

Pizza.  I would def go with pizza.  Carbs and cheese FTW.

• I'd go with either pizza or grilled cheeses. You could so some fun combos. The pretzels are a neat idea too. 

I love sushi as well, but at the end of a night after some drinks, that's the last thing I'd want. 
  • DH cooks late night foods all the time for weddings.     He often does one or a combination the following:

hamburger sliders
    french fries
    mini-grilled cheese  (sometimes with a milkshake shooter)
    pizza
    breakfast burritos (huge hit)
    chicken tenders
    nachos

I also say no to sushi.   People do not like sushi late night.   And honestly sushi done in bulk for a large event normally isn't all the great.  I even think sushi at a non-sushi place often isn't that great either.   Sushi is expensive and I do not think you will get bang for your buck so-to-speak.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I will never forget the first wedding I attended where they served late night snacks. Everybody was overjoyed when the pizza came out. I love your idea for soft pretzels or grilled cheese but agree with PPs that sushi is probably not the best late night snack for a crowd.
  • My wedding in in 23 days and I just sent the menus to print.  Out Late Night Snacks are: Classic Sliders, Parmesan Truffle Fries, and Mini Cuban Sandwiches.  Super excited!  
  • OP here - you ladies are awesome, thanks so much!

It sounds like carbs and cheese are definitely the way to go!  We'll call the venue to a couple of days and go over options.  Right now I'm leaning towards either grilled cheese or pizza with some kind of fry side.

Don't worry - sushi definitely won't be happening.  Thank you for your honest opinions; you all potentially saved me from spending a lot of money on something our guests wouldn't enjoy!  I really appreciate it!
  • I LOVE sushi- but many others do NOT. I would not choose a food that is so polarizing- go for some good classics!

Our late night buffet include pizza, pastries and make your own nacho plate. All were a hit! 

At one friends wedding, they had sliders, corn dogs and those fancy hatch mark fries. Another friend had artisan pizza in addition to a dessert buffet. Another friend had more simple pizza squares, veggies.

I think the late night buffet is a good thing to do (and much appreciated), but at the same time I don't think you need to go over kill on it. It is a snack- not another meal. At the 2 weddings above who had the more fancy buffets, while the food was AMAZING, there was A LOT left over. Sticking to pizza, nachos, fries, even something like mini sandwiches or wraps, is enough to fill the hunger but also not break the piggy bank. 
  • It's 3am in Scotland and i've just got home and FI has just made me grilled cheese on crumpets, so good!
  • Warm pretzels and pizza sounds great. These are junk-foodie and would satisfy drunk cravings, and can also be vegetarian if you have any guests who don't eat meat. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We're doing  mini Tony Packo's  Coney Dogs.  I've also seen pizza, sliders, grilled cheese with a tomato soup shooter.  I also love the pretzel idea.

Are there any junky type foods the area you're getting married in is known for or either area you're from is known for?  Coneys are huge in Detroit and Tony Packo's is a Hungarian coney joint and FI's family is Hungarian.  I know someone who was married in Philly and did mini cheese steaks.  
  • We served house made chips and dip. Hot pretzel sticks and cheese. Pigs in a blanket. Something sweet...can't remember off the top of my head. All went over really well.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Thanks for the new comments, but this thread is from November.  We've already chosen.

We decided on a quartet of fries, in paper cones. Regular thick cut fries, sweet potato fries, fried zucchini sticks and fried cheese sticks.  People can try one or all four, and there will be a choice of dips.  It should be really good and satisfy those late-night cravings!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards