Moms and Maids

Mismatched Bridesmaids - How to make the maid of honor stand out?

Hello all - I am doing mismatched bridesmaids for my July 2016 wedding. I have decided to let the bridesmaids pick their own dresses in a coral shade and knee length, so obviously all the colors will vary slightly I am sure, but I don't know how to have the MOH stand out? We are doing a nude shoe and gold jewelry for all bridesmaids. Any ideas on how to get the MOH to stand out? Thanks!

Re: Mismatched Bridesmaids - How to make the maid of honor stand out?

• I don't think it's particularly important that she "stands out"...she'll already be the closest BM to you during the ceremony (presumably) and then announced as MOH by the DJ (also, presumably).

If you really want to, you could have her bouquet be a little different than the other BMs if you are doing bouquets. Or she could wear different colored shoes (I know you mentioned nude shoes) or matching jewelry to yours depending on what everyone is wearing.

• Why should the MOH "stand out"?  Everyone will know that she is the lady who is standing nearest to you and holding your bouquet during the ring exchange.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • You're overthinking. She will be standing next to the bride, which is more than enough for everyone to realize she is the MOH.
  • Hello all - I am doing mismatched bridesmaids for my July 2016 wedding. I have decided to let the bridesmaids pick their own dresses in a coral shade and knee length, so obviously all the colors will vary slightly I am sure, but I don't know how to have the MOH stand out? We are doing a nude shoe and gold jewelry for all bridesmaids. Any ideas on how to get the MOH to stand out? Thanks!

No need. Chances are, she'll hold your bouquet during the vows, so she'll stand out then.

• This is what I did.My MOH is the one in bright coral, right next to me with long brown hair.

• You could have her in a full length dress in the same color palette.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I considered getting like a belt or sash or something for my MOH but in the end I didn't find anything I really liked. At the end of the day it didn't matter, everyone knew she was MOH. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Why does she need to stand out? They all do the same thing, and nobody really cares who the MOH is. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Different boquet if you really want her to stand out
  • spockforprezspockforprez member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2015
    I think MOH standing out is a regional thing - are you from the South, OP? This is done a lot where I'm from. If you want, you could have her in a complementary shade rather than coral. I was also in a wedding where the MOH's bouquet was larger than the other bridesmaids which other PPs suggested as well.

I personally don't subscribe to this custom; it seems contrived. The MOH is the lady who stands next to you and holds your bouquet - everyone will know who she is!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I considered getting like a belt or sash or something for my MOH but in the end I didn't find anything I really liked. At the end of the day it didn't matter, everyone knew she was MOH. 
    Same.  I had considered a sparkly gold belt or sash for the MOH but it would have looked odd with the dress she chose.  You could do a different bouquet or add something like long ribbons to hers, but I wouldn't hurt yourself trying to make this happen.  Everyone will know she is your MOH and she presumably already feels special about that.

• I agree with everyone that you do not need her to stand out, but I understand wanting her to.  I would give the option of a long dress for her, in the same color palette and/or do a different bouquet for her.  
  • When I was MOH, my friend gave me a small pin to wear. It was cute! I didn't do anything to make my MOH stand out, so I suppose it's up to you.
  • thanks everyone for the responses! I'll probably just have her dress as the rest of the bridesmaids, like you guys said there is no reason she should stand out over the others. good point! never really thought of that.. it was something she suggested but you're all right, she doesn't need to stand out! everyone will know she is the MOH
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards