Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Documentation for wedding in Ireland

Hi all - just wondering whether anyone around here is planning a wedding in Ireland, or has gotten married there? The process to get a marriage certificate seems overwhelming (notification of intent 3 months prior, specifications for documentation needed, etc.) and I'm wondering if anyone out there has gone through it and can vouch for how cumbersome it is (or isnt!) for a non-citizen/non-resident. 

Best Answer

Re: Documentation for wedding in Ireland

• Options
    edited November 2015
    @LondonLisa can give some insight into UK marriage requirements. They are really strict.

• Options
    LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    Seriously?! Ireland is a completely different country than the UK...

• Options

@LondonLisa Well, she didn't say where in Ireland. It could be North Ireland. She didn't elaborate and I'm well aware that the UK is more than one country. I thought maybe you could shed some light into it. But, yeah, my bad for asking. 

• Options

@LondonLisa Well, she didn't say where in Ireland. It could be North Ireland. She didn't elaborate and I'm well aware that the UK is more than one country. I thought maybe you could shed some light into it. But, yeah, my bad for asking. 

Most Irish people would be super pissed to be lumped under the UK. . . there's still a significant number of folks in Northern Ireland that don't want to be part of the UK.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Just FYI- it is a very, very politically loaded statement to say Ireland is in the UK. Even if you mean Northern Ireland you should say Northern Ireland.
  • Options

Just FYI- it is a very, very politically loaded statement to say Ireland is in the UK. Even if you mean Northern Ireland you should say Northern Ireland.

Understand, but OP is not a citizen of Ireland. Her FI is. And she might not understand the difference. I just threw it out there without any political motivation. My dad's entire side of his extended family lives over there. I'm not clueless, but I guess I should think a little more before I type. I forgot how freaking touchy everyone is on here. This isn't a post to debate politics or discuss how politics works over there. It's about a wedding.

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015

Below is a complete legal copy of the requirements that must be met to be married in Ireland. There are no exceptions to the residency requirements for either of you, even for a Catholic or other religious wedding.

Once your residency requirement has been met (9 days minimum as the day you arrive and the day you file do not count) and the 22 day wait after filing has past you can marry at any time. So if you file your written 3 month notice of intent to marry, then you come to Ireland on holiday and spend 10 days, you can serve notice with the registrar then return home until the wedding, even if it is a year or more later.

The only other option is to have the civil or legal part done at home right before your trip to Ireland then have the actual formal wedding ceremony here. Irish couples will often have a civil wedding before the registrar then the formal wedding if the church they are members of is not licensed for weddings or does not handle the civil paperwork that must be done.

If you want to go for the residency and either of you has been married before there is another set of rules and requirements that must be met. It is then decided whether the divorce would be acceptable for marriage in the Irish State. This can take two to three weeks for a decision to be made.

TO CONTRACT A VALID MARRIAGE 1N THE STATE, THE PARTIES MUST HAVE THE CAPACITY TO MARRY EACH OTHER, THEY MUST FREELY CONSENT TO HAVE THE MARRIAGE, AND THEY MUST OBSERVE THE NECESSARY FORMALITIES AS REQUIRED BY THE LAWS OF THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND.

This includes changes to the law following passing of the Family Law Act ,1995
    1. Requirement to give three months notification of intention to marry:
    Any person marrying either by religious or civil ceremony must give three months notice to the Registrar for the district in which the marriage is to take place or have obtained an exemption as explained below. Failure to comply with this makes the marriage invalid in civil law.

2. How notification may be given.

Notification of a Marriage may be given in two ways.
    i) Both parties may write jointly (or separately) to the Registar for the district in which the marriage is to be solemnised giving the following information.
    - name and address of the parties to the marriage.
    - name and address of the church, or place, where the marriage will take place.
    - the date on which the marriage is to take place.
    - the ages of the parties, or confirmation that the parties are over eighteen.

ii) A pre-printed form may be obtained from the Registrar.
    If only one letter or form is sent to the Registrar it must be signed by both parties .
    The Registrar will issue each party to the intended marriage with an acknowledgement confirming the date of receipt of the notification. You must retain this document and produce it, when requested, to the person solemnising the marriage.

It should be noted that these acknowledgements are for record only and are not intended to be a licence or certificate signifying the approval of the registrar concerned in any proposed marriage. the other legally required marriage preliminaries, if any, appropriate to the form of marriage, must also be complied with.

Unless you are planning to be married in a church, the following applies:  Marriages by Civil Ceremony must take place in the office of a Registrar of Marriages, except in very exceptional cases of illness on the part of one of the parties, when the Registrar-General has power to grant a special licence for the marriage to be conducted elsewhere.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards