Pre-wedding Parties

Say yes to the dress party - what theme?

Hello everyone!

First, I'm really sorry for my english, but i really need an advice from you girls. :)
I'm maid of honour for my best friend wedding. I'm also a event planner in some europen country where pre-wedding parties aren't so popular like in US, but i like to export new trends and ideas partly beacuse it's my job, and partly beacuse i love idea of celebrating every important situation in life. :)

So i would like that my bestie have "full wedding experience", and what is the better ocassion to create girls party then day of shopping a wedding dress.
I think in the morning all bridesmaids and our bride would go to wedding shops, i would like to create "wedding shopping dress kit". What should i add to it? I think about some home made snack(granola bar, mini salad etc.), water, mini champagne, painkillers, bobby pins, hair brush, diy signs for bridesmaid("yes", "no", "say yes to the dress", "next" etc.). What else?

And second problem is what theme should this party has? After the shopping i want to make lunch. I'm a good cook, and my diy decoration skill are also ok, so i think i can manage. I will arrange everything in the morning and then only invite girl.
But i don't know what theme use? I think about disney movies(princesses and all), parisian, fashion, but i'm affraid it will be to sweet for our brides, who likes girlly things but not so much like i do. I don't want to overwhelm her.
Then i think about chesee and wine tasting party(she loves wine), but i'm affraid this is "too distant" for such femine party.

I need something on the middle. She likes nature(but it's to cold for picnic ;)), fantasy, games(LOL), books, art, beauty(she is nails-freak), but she is also a "cold" buisness women, in prive she is casual(don't like too "fancy" and "expencive" places).

Please help! :smile:

Re: Say yes to the dress party - what theme?

• This sounds wayyyy too much.
    Does your friend want all those people there? I'm not the slightest bit introverted/shy around my friends but the signs sound like a nightmare. What if I come out in a dress I love only to see everyone with a "no" or "next" sign?

Is this happening at one shop or are you going to multiple bridal shops all in 1 day? She might feel pressured to buy that day if you go too crazy with this. 

As for lunch I would make this as calm/casual as possible. Wine and cheese are okay starters but don't count as a full meal. Simialr to what we think about weddings- good food is memorable, not decorations. Put some fresh flowers around and make sure your house is clean.

• I would make sure this is what the bride actually wants. I really just wanted my mom there. I did also take my closest aunt and cousin and it was a lot of fun. I made sure it was people who really knew my style. A lot of my closest friends would probably be surprised to see that what I always dreamed of and picked was a big ball gown and it would have hurt me to come out and see them holding cheesy signs saying "next". I saw someone do this on say yes to the dress, it was awful, the bride ended up in tears if I remember correctly. 

As for food after if it is something she does want then I would honestly keep it simple. You don't need a crazy theme just have some good food and drinks and everyone will be happy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, I think this is a little bit over the top and might cause some anxiety for the bride, depending on her personality.  It is very sweet of you to want to make this such a lovely day for her, but make sure this is something she would want.  Gown shopping is very personal to many brides, and not everyone wants a big group with them.  Too many opinions can make for a stressful shopping experience.  As PP's said, what if the bride is in love with a dress and everyone immediately holds up their "No" signs?  The bride shouldn't feel pressured by anyone for this important purchase.

Lunch at your house sounds very nice afterwards.  Just keep it simple and serve a full meal if it's actually at lunch time, not just snacks.  Champagne is always a good idea IMO... just don't put pressure on the bride to find her dress that day so you can celebrate.  She may not find the one she loves on this trip, and that's ok.  Just keep it light, relaxed and fun.

• Hello everyone!

First, I'm really sorry for my english, but i really need an advice from you girls. :)
    I'm maid of honour for my best friend wedding. I'm also a event planner in some europen country where pre-wedding parties aren't so popular like in US, but i like to export new trends and ideas partly beacuse it's my job, and partly beacuse i love idea of celebrating every important situation in life. :)

So i would like that my bestie have "full wedding experience", and what is the better ocassion to create girls party then day of shopping a wedding dress.
    I think in the morning all bridesmaids and our bride would go to wedding shops, i would like to create "wedding shopping dress kit". What should i add to it? I think about some home made snack(granola bar, mini salad etc.), water, mini champagne, painkillers, bobby pins, hair brush, diy signs for bridesmaid("yes", "no", "say yes to the dress", "next" etc.). What else?

And second problem is what theme should this party has? After the shopping i want to make lunch. I'm a good cook, and my diy decoration skill are also ok, so i think i can manage. I will arrange everything in the morning and then only invite girl.
    But i don't know what theme use? I think about disney movies(princesses and all), parisian, fashion, but i'm affraid it will be to sweet for our brides, who likes girlly things but not so much like i do. I don't want to overwhelm her.
    Then i think about chesee and wine tasting party(she loves wine), but i'm affraid this is "too distant" for such femine party.

I need something on the middle. She likes nature(but it's to cold for picnic ;)), fantasy, games(LOL), books, art, beauty(she is nails-freak), but she is also a "cold" buisness women, in prive she is casual(don't like too "fancy" and "expencive" places).

Please help! :smile:
    I think your intentions are good, but you need to dial it back... a lot.
  • I agree with PPs. I think you should really re-think this. It would make most brides really anxious to have to try on dresses for an audience. That doesn't even consider if the bride is somewhat self-conscious about her body. 

First, I would check with the bride and find out if she even wants anyone to go shopping with her. Most brides prefer to shop with just a best friend or mom. If she does want to invite the BMs, invite them along, without gimmicks. 

A nice lunch with mimosas or wine after is perfect. No need to come up with a theme or to turn it into a big production. 
  • Please don't. Especially with the "yes" and "no" signs -- everyone has different opinions and tastes, and having too many competing voices can be overwhelming and confusing. The bride may LOVE a dress but if all of her friends and family are waving big "no" signs she may feel railroaded into picking something else she'll later regret. 
  • Thanks for replises! :) Our bride choose witch people she want to invite for wedding dress shoping. And she wants all brides with her(it's just 3 girls, so this is not a crowd). Shy is not an issue here, she is very extravertic person. 

You are right, sign with "no" or "next" is not good idea. :) I will think about something different. 

We have event planning "company"(bride, second bridesmaid and me) and that's why we like every event(in our buisness and privete lifes) to be pre-planned, big and with theme, that's just our style. :) But you are right, I think about something simple to lunch. 
    There is also no pressure to buy dress, we will just celebrate this beatifull time with girls. 
  • Thanks for replises! :) Our bride choose witch people she want to invite for wedding dress shoping. And she wants all brides with her(it's just 3 girls, so this is not a crowd). Shy is not an issue here, she is very extravertic person. 

You are right, sign with "no" or "next" is not good idea. :) I will think about something different. 

We have event planning "company"(bride, second bridesmaid and me) and that's why we like every event(in our buisness and privete lifes) to be pre-planned, big and with theme, that's just our style. :) But you are right, I think about something simple to lunch. 
    There is also no pressure to buy dress, we will just celebrate this beatifull time with girls. 
    One other thing you'll need to do is contact the store and see if they have any policies limiting the number of people who accompany the bride.  I would also be sensitive to making a scene in the store, as there will likely be other women there shopping for the dress.  
  • So it's four people going shopping, then having lunch? I'd go with the theme of fancy lunch. Nice flower arrangement on the table, use the good china, drink champagne.

Also your English is excellent!
  • So it's four people going shopping, then having lunch? I'd go with the theme of fancy lunch. Nice flower arrangement on the table, use the good china, drink champagne. Also your English is excellent!
    I agree with this theme.  I also agree that your English is good.  Though I did have to smile at the word "extravertic" because it's awesome.
  • Thank you girl for replies! :) I'm pleased to hear(read ;)) my english is not so bad that I think it is. ;) I have really big issues with your 17th times and grammar. ;)

So, I made final preparations. We will go to four bridal salons, and then to lunch to very nice place. I go to every salon and talk to the ladies work here and ask for everything. We will have an hour in every place, there will be no other bride(we don't have big multibrands in our county, so there is no problem that we will be disturb anyone). Some place are more open(in one there will be music witch our bride like, we can eat snack and drink champagne ;)), other are not so much, but I think our bride will enjoy this day. 

I ask about number of people who can accompany the bride, about taking a photo, can we take stuff with us, how is the policy about buy and book a dress. Do I miss something?

Also, we decide on modern theme. Restaurant in which we book a table is little lofty(dark tables, brick walls etc.). We want go with black white stripes on the table, blush pink flowers, gold mason jar and bottles. And mimosa bar of course. ;) I think this will be enought for the decorations. I create a invitation (and wedding shopping guide) for bride in that style and she loved it. :)
    We are inspire by this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/8a/a4/99/8aa499a80fda15b99831ce56b759bada.jpg

I have problem with wedding shopping dress kit. Should i create one, or for every bridesmaid and separate for the bride? What items should i throw there?

I think we should have items for everyone, like food, champagne, note with pen to write what dress our bride like the most, mini emergency kit, celebration confetti, sign(but without "no" and "next"), mints, water. I don't know what else?

In our bride kit should be stuff which help her in fitting, such as items for hair(bobby pins, mini hairbrush), tissues, h
    and lotion, lip balsam, a few cosmetics for improve make up. What do you think? 

Also I don't what snack make? It must be something small, tasty, elegant, girly, not "smelly", not messy to eat, and something which we can easly pack and take to "road" with us. I have: homemade granola bars, macarons, brownie bittes. I think also about salad in the jar but I don't know. 

• Thank you girl for replies! :) I'm pleased to hear(read ;)) my english is not so bad that I think it is. ;) I have really big issues with your 17th times and grammar. ;)

So, I made final preparations. We will go to four bridal salons, and then to lunch to very nice place. I go to every salon and talk to the ladies work here and ask for everything. We will have an hour in every place, there will be no other bride(we don't have big multibrands in our county, so there is no problem that we will be disturb anyone). Some place are more open(in one there will be music witch our bride like, we can eat snack and drink champagne ;)), other are not so much, but I think our bride will enjoy this day. 

I ask about number of people who can accompany the bride, about taking a photo, can we take stuff with us, how is the policy about buy and book a dress. Do I miss something?

Also, we decide on modern theme. Restaurant in which we book a table is little lofty(dark tables, brick walls etc.). We want go with black white stripes on the table, blush pink flowers, gold mason jar and bottles. And mimosa bar of course. ;) I think this will be enought for the decorations. I create a invitation (and wedding shopping guide) for bride in that style and she loved it. :)
    We are inspire by this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/8a/a4/99/8aa499a80fda15b99831ce56b759bada.jpg

I have problem with wedding shopping dress kit. Should i create one, or for every bridesmaid and separate for the bride? What items should i throw there?

I think we should have items for everyone, like food, champagne, note with pen to write what dress our bride like the most, mini emergency kit, celebration confetti, sign(but without "no" and "next"), mints, water. I don't know what else?

In our bride kit should be stuff which help her in fitting, such as items for hair(bobby pins, mini hairbrush), tissues, hand lotion, lip balsam, a few cosmetics for improve make up. What do you think? 

Also I don't what snack make? It must be something small, tasty, elegant, girly, not "smelly", not messy to eat, and something which we can easly pack and take to "road" with us. I have: homemade granola bars, macarons, brownie bittes. I think also about salad in the jar but I don't know. 

I think going to 4 salons in one day is A LOT. That will be exhausting. Also, I wouldn't bring in confetti. I can't imagine these shop owners are going to be happy with you throwing confetti around their stores. Who's going to be cleaning it up? 

I really don't think the kit is necessary, but if you insist, maybe just champagne. But you might want to check with the salon on what items you're allowed to bring in. Some places do not allow you to bring in outside food and drinks. Salad in a jar in a bridal salon? No. That's messy. And weird. 

I tried on many wedding dresses, and at no point did I need any of these items you're putting in a kit for everyone. You're way overthinking this. 
  • If someone wanted to drag me to four bridal salons in one day, I would not show up. And even if I did decide to give it a shot, there is no way I would make it past the second shop before regretting it. There is seriously a limit to the number of dresses someone tries on before they all start to blur together. And even if you take  photos, the bride might not remember all the little things about how each dress feels (or makes her feel) when she's wearing it. 
    ~*~*~*~*~

• This is way too much.

Here is a "perfect day:"

Visit 2 salons max.

Make reservations to a nice place for lunch.

DONE

• I have anxiety on behalf of this bride.

This is WAY too much.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Four salons in one day is too much.  I easily spent several hours in each shop I went to, I wouldn't want to have to worry about hurrying through trying on dresses at one location just so I could make my appointment at a second location.  And that's the thing, you will need to make appointments to try on dresses. . . you can't just walk in and stat working with a consultant.

I'd limit this trip to just two shops, one before lunch and one after maybe, and honestly I'd probably just do one shop and then go out to lunch.

None of the salons I have ever been to have ever allowed food or drink, so you can just scratch those off your "kit" list.  Have some bottles water in the car in case people get thirsty.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Four salons is crazy.  It may not seem like it would be, but trying on wedding gowns is tiresome.  And if you try on too many you will start to become confused.  I went to two bridal shops on my first day of shopping and was exhausted after the last one and completely lost/worried/depressed/confused about what I wanted and scared I was never going to find anything.  If this is suppose to be a fun experience you are setting yourself up for disaster.  Trying on dresses for some people can be stressful and as much fun as it is, if you aren't finding anything you like you can start to get really down on yourself.

I understand pre-planning things and making everything a theme is completely "you." But I think it may be best to tone things down and not to make everything a production.  Go to two salons and have lunch in between.

• This is WAY too much. What if she finds her dress at the first store and doesn't see a need to go to other stores? Bridal salons will likely not want you to toss confetti. I also doubt they'd want you to bring food.

Seriously, scale it back.
  • This is probably one of the craziest things I've read on here!  A party for when the bride tries on wedding dresses?  This will be the next big thing for the wedding industry!

OP - This is too much, too far, and just plain crazy.  Scale back times 1000!  Just pick 2 salons and have lunch in between.  Even asking the bridal salons to have no other people in the salon at the same time you are there is just plain crazy.  You are asking them to basically close up for you on the chance that your friend may buy her dress from that salon.  Unless your friend is super rich or a celebrity of some kind, this is just overkill.

I also think all of your added things for the lunch are overkill.  You said there will be 4 people total at lunch?  But yet you want to dictate the type of tablecloth that is on the table?  You also want to go as far as dictating the décor of a table, for 4 people.  If the 4 people at lunch want mimosas, that is fine, they can order them on their own.  I'm afraid you will have too much champagne go to waste if you try to create a mimosa bar.  Also, who is paying for all these extra things YOU want at the lunch?  If I am tagging along on this day of crazy and am asked to help pay for a mimosa bar, when I'm not drinking the mimosas, will be a big shock to me.  I also would only pay for the food and drink I did consume.

And no to confetti, in almost every aspect of life, you can just say no to confetti.

• Holy hell.  This sounds like a nightmare.  OP, your heart is in the right place but that's about the only thing.  No to 4 salons, no to asking/demanding that the salons not have any other brides at the same time, no to dictating the decor at the restaurant, no to the emergency kits and snacks and champagne.  If the restaurant offers mimosas you can order one, but no mimosa bar. DEFINITELY no to the confetti.  You're insane if you think ANY store will allow you to throw confetti. 

On second thought, yes to the mimosa bar - today.  You need a drink or 12 to help you chill out.  Seriously, even Flavor Flav thinks this is over the top.

• Even your description of the snacks is too much. What makes a snack elegant or girly?

• One of the main things I remember about dress shopping was how overwhelmed I was & I was only there with my mom and FMIL.  I can not imagine how I would have felt if my friends were there and there was a party focused around me finding a dress, I have anxiety just thinking about it.  As others have said, youre heart is in the right place, but this is way too much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards