Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Is a "Wedding Crasher Invite" appropriate for acquaintances and friends with whom we are not close?

124»

Re: Is a "Wedding Crasher Invite" appropriate for acquaintances and friends with whom we are not close?

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    OP posted :I perhaps was mistaken in thinking that a community was about support. Not support of an idea, not a search for validation of every possibility, but of a person and the fact that they are undertaking a huge step in their life and require the advice or expertise of people who have experience in such undertakings.

This community IS about support.  We support Knotties and try to stop them from making a terrible mess of their weddings!  That is what these ladies were doing - trying to stop you from making all kinds of rude etiquette mistakes.  We will not gleefully watch you violate etiquette and then suffer the results when you have insulted half of your guests.  We will try and help you plan a proper wedding, but you need to be open to our feedback, not defensive and self absorbed.

What?  That isn't what you wanted?  You wanted to hear that your ideas were just fine?  Too bad, because they aren't.

PS.  You never thanked me for the PM that I sent you, which was at your request.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    According to OP's definition, she is now "cyber-bullying" MobKaz.
  • Options
    Ladies, 

I feel like this thread has become pretty unproductive. 

I'm fine with opinions, I like the critique of ideas, but as I said in my last post I think we are here to criticize ideas, not people. I perhaps was mistaken in thinking that a community was about support. Not support of an idea, not a search for validation of every possibility, but of a person and the fact that they are undertaking a huge step in their life and require the advice or expertise of people who have experience in such undertakings. 

Support in simple terms, is not what you do, or what you say - it's how you make someone feel. And I can honestly say that this has made me feel awful. My comments have been taken out of context (Even a direct quote, taken out of context doesn't say the whole story), people who don't know me have assumed terrible things about me (the latest of which is that my bridal party increased because I wanted slave labour for my DIY projects. Which simply isn't true. But nobody stopped to ask what was true, or why the bridal party increased). This forum provides very little in the way of benefit of the doubt.

I took issue with MobKaz's comments because the post had no discernible goal other than to criticize me. It didn't offer a fresh perspective, it didn't relate to the original post of "Wedding Crasher Invites", it didn't offer advice. There wasn't even an opinion other than purporting the idea that I didn't actually learn anything from the posting, which certain I did. 

When someone takes time to read all your posts, chooses some quotes, paraphrase your words and take it all out of context, and throw it in your face to make you look stupid, they are likely not interested in helping, they just want to humiliate you. And I take issue with that, and I do feel that purposely trying to humiliate someone online is within the cyber-bully realm. Yes, there are certainly more terrible instances of cyber bullying, but that doesn't mean that because its mild, it's okay. I'm not whining, I'm pointing out behavior that I think is unacceptable and unappreciated. I have no issue standing up for myself and doing it in an articulate way. I don't have to accept treatment that I find diminishing, even when most posters seem to.

I have nothing left to say to MobKaz, I think my last post was well stated and I don't intend on engaging in a verbal pistol fight with someone that I don't hold in high regard. It would be a waste of both our time.  I also don't intend to cower away from the "community" posting boards, because of one foul experience. There are great people, who do give good advice and I encountered a few of them and appreciate that. Every post is a fresh post, and I would hope that Knotties could bring their most constructive/helpful A game to every response they give. 

My Bambi attitude (if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all) might be regarded as too nice for the cut throat Etiquette Board, but that's okay as this has truly been a learning experience. If this Board has prepared me for anything, it has prepared for handling potential criticism of my actual wedding, and how to look that critic in the face and smile.
    I 100% agree with you. I have been reading these boards for over a year now and it's full of nasty, mean bullies who seem to get off on putting others down. 

You can try and justify your treatment of others all you want by calling it "blunt," or "honest," or implying that the person you're talking with is thin skinned, but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of posters around here are abusive to people. 

A LOT of girls come on here and complain about the treatment they received...but amazingly, it's never the fault of the community and always the fact that the original poster was rude, or naive, or thin skinned, or looking for validation, or unable to take the truth, or a pretty princess, or entitled...or...or...or....
    It's astounding, really. 
  • Options
    @Knottie82223823

I'm pretty sure this thread is dead. :smiley: 
  • Options
    drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    Ladies, 

I feel like this thread has become pretty unproductive. 

I'm fine with opinions, I like the critique of ideas, but as I said in my last post I think we are here to criticize ideas, not people. I perhaps was mistaken in thinking that a community was about support. Not support of an idea, not a search for validation of every possibility, but of a person and the fact that they are undertaking a huge step in their life and require the advice or expertise of people who have experience in such undertakings. 

Support in simple terms, is not what you do, or what you say - it's how you make someone feel. And I can honestly say that this has made me feel awful. My comments have been taken out of context (Even a direct quote, taken out of context doesn't say the whole story), people who don't know me have assumed terrible things about me (the latest of which is that my bridal party increased because I wanted slave labour for my DIY projects. Which simply isn't true. But nobody stopped to ask what was true, or why the bridal party increased). This forum provides very little in the way of benefit of the doubt.

I took issue with MobKaz's comments because the post had no discernible goal other than to criticize me. It didn't offer a fresh perspective, it didn't relate to the original post of "Wedding Crasher Invites", it didn't offer advice. There wasn't even an opinion other than purporting the idea that I didn't actually learn anything from the posting, which certain I did. 

When someone takes time to read all your posts, chooses some quotes, paraphrase your words and take it all out of context, and throw it in your face to make you look stupid, they are likely not interested in helping, they just want to humiliate you. And I take issue with that, and I do feel that purposely trying to humiliate someone online is within the cyber-bully realm. Yes, there are certainly more terrible instances of cyber bullying, but that doesn't mean that because its mild, it's okay. I'm not whining, I'm pointing out behavior that I think is unacceptable and unappreciated. I have no issue standing up for myself and doing it in an articulate way. I don't have to accept treatment that I find diminishing, even when most posters seem to.

I have nothing left to say to MobKaz, I think my last post was well stated and I don't intend on engaging in a verbal pistol fight with someone that I don't hold in high regard. It would be a waste of both our time.  I also don't intend to cower away from the "community" posting boards, because of one foul experience. There are great people, who do give good advice and I encountered a few of them and appreciate that. Every post is a fresh post, and I would hope that Knotties could bring their most constructive/helpful A game to every response they give. 

My Bambi attitude (if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all) might be regarded as too nice for the cut throat Etiquette Board, but that's okay as this has truly been a learning experience. If this Board has prepared me for anything, it has prepared for handling potential criticism of my actual wedding, and how to look that critic in the face and smile.
    I 100% agree with you. I have been reading these boards for over a year now and it's full of nasty, mean bullies who seem to get off on putting others down. 

You can try and justify your treatment of others all you want by calling it "blunt," or "honest," or implying that the person you're talking with is thin skinned, but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of posters around here are abusive to people. 

A LOT of girls come on here and complain about the treatment they received...but amazingly, it's never the fault of the community and always the fact that the original poster was rude, or naive, or thin skinned, or looking for validation, or unable to take the truth, or a pretty princess, or entitled...or...or...or....
    It's astounding, really. 

WALKERS!!!!

• Options
    Knottie82223823 ... just FYI, this thread has not been commented on since Nov 5 prior to your comment.  Resurrecting a "zombie" to complain about the vibe of these boards isn't received well.
  • Options
    Am I the only one who doesn't think a thread that was last commented on 2 weeks ago is a "zombie" thread?  I mean where do we draw the line in regards to a zombie thread?  One week since the last comment? Three days?  A month?  Six months?

I just really love yelling "WALKERS!!!!!"

• Options
    Am I the only one who doesn't think a thread that was last commented on 2 weeks ago is a "zombie" thread?  I mean where do we draw the line in regards to a zombie thread?  One week since the last comment? Three days?  A month?  Six months?
    Newp.  Last year- that's a zombie thread to me.

And if the OP wants to dredge up her own thread in order to bitch about how mean we all are, have at it, honey!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I wouldn't call this a zombie thread but I would say that it's dumb to dig it up just for the sake of chastising the regs.  
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2015

In general, us mods consider a zombie thread as something that has not been commented on in 6 months.   Sometimes as few as 4-5 months.   

That said, I admit I give an eye-roll one that hasn't been commented on in over month even or has moved to like the 3rd page.   I do not close the thread, but just wonder why it's being re-hashed.

funny story.  We get people reporting users from threads that are almost 6 years old.   Really, 6 year old threads need reporting?  In most cases the user being report on is long gone.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

And if the OP wants to dredge up her own thread in order to bitch about how mean we all are, have at it, honey!
    This wasn't the OP ... it is a different Knottie #s.
  • Options

I cannot keep all of them straight ><

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

I cannot keep all of them straight ><
    hahaha, me neither.  I just noticed because new Knottie #s commented on one that original Knottie #s did, so it was easier to look at the numbers.  And it didn't help that both of the numbers ended in '3'.  

So maybe "zombie" isn't the "right" term ... I just find it annoying that it's being brought back up for such a stupid reason.
  • Options

It is astounding, isn't it - that a board full of people well versed in etiquette rules would recognize rude behavior and provide suggestions to correct it.  Shocking, if you ask me.  

LOL at "bullies" and "abusive".  Actually, not LOL.  It's not funny to throw around those terms when you're referring to people on an online forum giving advice to people who don't know any better or have horribly planned "unique ideas" to basically get around properly hosting guests.  Calling "bully" or "abuse" when someone says something you don't agree with, even in a tone you don't agree with is a defense of the weak-minded.  It also makes a mockery of those words and is extremely inconsiderate to those who may have indeed been victims of bullying or abuse.  A bride to be who comes here and says that she wants to have "party crasher invites", gets a whole lot of people saying how rude it is and WHY, is NOT a victim of bullying.  

Finally, the reason that it's not found to be the fault of the community is b/c we obey the TOU.  You do not see us name-calling, you do not see us personally harassing anyone, you do not see us practice discrimination, you do not see us advertising for our businesses, etc.  In other words, we are not violating TOU.

Rude behavior is everywhere, online and IRL.  Helping people understand the rules of etiquette (aka good manners) even if you have to be blunt and honest and *gasp* risk hurting a poster's feelings is STILL doing that person a favor.  Believe me - if some of the behavior of the speshuls that I see on here carries over into other aspects of their life beyond wedding planning, like WORK, God help them.  And yes, sometimes we express the absolute astonishment about some of the stuff we see on here...b/c people's rudeness can be truly, to use your words, astounding.  
    Just in this reply you called people who don't agree with you  "weak minded" and "speshuls."  You and I have very different opinions of what is considered name calling.  Your entire response, actually, illustrates my original point perfectly.  You're not going to agree with that, obviously, because who WOULD agree that they're being a bully?  

I am certainly not the first person to express this opinion and, just as you urge brides committing etiquette faux pas to listen to the feedback when a bunch of different people are telling you the same thing, perhaps you should do the same. 
  • Options

It's astounding, really. 
    Not to mention, why have you spent over a year of your life on these boards if you hate them so much?  That's like saying "I despise spaghetti, but eat it every Sunday for dinner."  Make a hamburger then; no one is forcing you to eat the spaghetti!

I didn't say that EVERYONE on here is a bully. There are, thankfully, quite a few people on here with constructive comments that make the forums worth visiting.  To use your own analogy, you're suggesting that just because I had a bad spaghetti dinner I should swear off pasta for the rest of my life. 
  • Options

It's astounding, really. 
    Not to mention, why have you spent over a year of your life on these boards if you hate them so much?  That's like saying "I despise spaghetti, but eat it every Sunday for dinner."  Make a hamburger then; no one is forcing you to eat the spaghetti!

I didn't say that EVERYONE on here is a bully. There are, thankfully, quite a few people on here with constructive comments that make the forums worth visiting.  To use your own analogy, you're suggesting that just because I had a bad spaghetti dinner I should swear off pasta for the rest of my life. 
    I'm saying if the same restaurant gives you bad spaghetti over and over again order something different or find a new restaurant.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards