Registry and Gift Forum

Adding Registry Items

mauiwowie9mauiwowie9 member
First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited November 2015 in Registry and Gift Forum
We are having our second shower coming up and my work is also throwing me a small third shower. Currently over half of the items on my registry are gone. Did you ladies with multiple showers before the wedding add things after the first shower? I don't want to come off as gift grabby at all, but I know as a guest how frustrating it can be to shop for a shower when the list is all picked over. Any suggestions on things to add? We are just starting out after college, but have limited space in our apartment. Thanks!

Re: Adding Registry Items

• We are having our second shower coming up and my work is also throwing me a small third shower. Currently over half of the items on my registry are gone. Did you ladies with multiple showers before the wedding add things after the first shower? I don't want to come off as gift grabby at all, but I know as a guest how frustrating it can be to shop for a shower when the list is all picked over. Any suggestions on things to add? We are just starting out after college, but have limited space in our apartment. Thanks!

I would add more items unless you enjoy getting crystal candle holders and mint green shell-shaped tea sets and metal roosters.  

Add things that will eventually need replacing; bedding, towels for both bath and kitchen, pot holders, cloth napkins.  Add things for entertaining; serving dishes, champagne flutes for a party, board games, cheese boards and knives.  Maybe add holiday versions of things like a Christmas table cloth or some burnt orange and brown decor if there's a chance you might someday host Thanksgiving.

Also, it's always okay to decline a shower.  If there isn't a lot that you want or need, you can always tell a potential host that you'd rather not have a second (or third) bridal shower.
  • Adding a few items in a variety of prices ranges (or to balance out price ranges) is a great idea. I'm a last minute shopper so I hate when I go a week before a shower and there isn't much left. As @adk19 said add things you will eventually need to replace, or things you would like updated. If you don't have a ton of space think about how to maximize it; are there storage shelves or boxes you could use, or closet dividers?
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    You definitely need to add more items if the registry is looking sparse and you still have 2 showers plus the wedding to go.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Think of non-traditional things. Things like board games, yard games, movies, SD cards to store your photos from your honeymoon. Since you have limited space consider even storage containers for things or small pieces of furniture you may want like side tables, or a small safe for your important documents.
  • Since you're right out of school, try to think of basic necessities that can be stored easily. A small basic toolkit is always great. A flashlight, bucket, potholders, storage containers or baskets etc. Do either of you have a car? Does at least one of you have jumper cables attached to a battery? A blanket for the car?  Do you live in a snowy climate and are responsible for some sort of snow removal? If so, a shovel could be nice.

Cloth napkins and napkin rings? Sheets and towels can only withstand so much, plus you never know if you will need more towels in an emergency (or after one).   A mountable coat rack could free up closet space, if you are allowed to mount something on the walls.

Lifestyle gifts are great too! Luggage that can be store like nesting dolls tends to be popular. Lawn chairs or the chairs that fold into a bag are great. Cooler?

FI prefers techie gifts.  He already has some of the Philips Hue Lightbulbs from apple.  They're pricey (about $50 a bulb), but it has made a significant dent in his electric bill (he's had been adding them for close to a year). It's taken time for him to get them for everywhere.  So far, he's put them in the bedrooms and living room and entry area, but we registered for bulbs for the kitchen. They're supposed to last 15 years and only supposed to use 20% of the electricity of a normal bulb.  If you're looking for something in the moderate price range that doesn't take up space, light bulbs could be an option.

• thanks for all the ideas! I added a few more things, so now people will have some options :-)
  • If you don't want/need to add anything else, perhaps your friends that are hosting could add a theme to the shower such as "stock the bar" (guests bring bottles of alcohol or barware), "stock the kitchen" (non-perishables and any other kitchen items that may not necessarily make it on a normal registry), "date night" (games, movies, gift cards, etc..) or some other creative idea of the sort.   A friend recently did a date night one for us and we had a blast with it! Not to mention now we have all sorts of things to do for date nights in and out that we may not normally do. 
  • DnR1220 said:
    If you don't want/need to add anything else, perhaps your friends that are hosting could add a theme to the shower such as "stock the bar" (guests bring bottles of alcohol or barware), "stock the kitchen" (non-perishables and any other kitchen items that may not necessarily make it on a normal registry), "date night" (games, movies, gift cards, etc..) or some other creative idea of the sort.   A friend recently did a date night one for us and we had a blast with it! Not to mention now we have all sorts of things to do for date nights in and out that we may not normally do. 
    This just sounds more limiting to me, I wouldn't suggest it. Allow people to select whatever item they want to buy from your registry don't require guests to stick to a theme. 
  • justsie said:
    DnR1220 said:
    If you don't want/need to add anything else, perhaps your friends that are hosting could add a theme to the shower such as "stock the bar" (guests bring bottles of alcohol or barware), "stock the kitchen" (non-perishables and any other kitchen items that may not necessarily make it on a normal registry), "date night" (games, movies, gift cards, etc..) or some other creative idea of the sort.   A friend recently did a date night one for us and we had a blast with it! Not to mention now we have all sorts of things to do for date nights in and out that we may not normally do. 
    This just sounds more limiting to me, I wouldn't suggest it. Allow people to select whatever item they want to buy from your registry don't require guests to stick to a theme. 
    Agree. Aside from varied taste (for example, my FI and I do not like wine or beer, though we drink hard cider and hard liquors), I think opening up bottle after bottle of liquor would get boring for everyone after a while. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards