Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

What's on Your DO NOT Play List

My DJ has set up a really great website for us to fill in our receptions important details. One of the things has in addition to a "Must Play List" is a "Do NOT Play List". It's funny because I have been to weddings or other events when I've heard a song and have said "this song is awful" and generally everyone leaves the dance floor (Mambo #5 anyone?).

It's one thing to say we hate this song when we hear it, but it's another thing to have to think of them when you aren't hearing them at that very moment. We are able to list up to 15 songs, and right now I have 4 that I really would prefer not hear at my wedding. I don't have any specific genre I absolutely love or hate, so rather than limit him there, I want to give him a more exact list. My goal is to have that dance floor full the entire night, so variety is great. With that being said, are there any songs you just hate hearing at a wedding or that you know is a sure-fire way to get everyone to exit the dance floor?

Re: What's on Your DO NOT Play List

• edited August 2015
    Why would anyone play Mambo #5 at their wedding? It is about cheating! Why would a DJ think it would be appropriate to play?
  • Blurred Lines was on our Do Not Play list. I hate that song.
  • Why would anyone play Mambo #5 at their wedding? It is about cheating! Why would a DJ think it would be appropriate to play?
    I've never actually even thought about the content of the song, I thought people hated it because it was annoying. Maybe the fact it is about cheating is why everyone hated it so much, or that I heard it played at a wedding in 2014 and that song was a one hit wonder from the 90s. None the less, it's terrible and for sure not the DJ that I've booked.
  • Why would anyone play Mambo #5 at their wedding? It is about cheating! Why would a DJ think it would be appropriate to play?
    I've never actually even thought about the content of the song, I thought people hated it because it was annoying. Maybe the fact it is about cheating is why everyone hated it so much, or that I heard it played at a wedding in 2014 and that song was a one hit wonder from the 90s. None the less, it's terrible and for sure not the DJ that I've booked.
    I actually don't mind it as a song, but I'd be shocked to hear it at a wedding. I would think the DJ or the couple didn't realize what it was about. 
    I actually don't mind it as a song, but I'd be shocked to hear it at a wedding. I would think the DJ or the couple didn't realize what it was about. 

I almost put "Golddigger" on our wedding playlist. I was at first just picking songs that are fun to dance to, like "oh when we hear this song at a bar or a club everyone wants to get up and dance and sing." My friends and I love Golddigger. Luckily the second time I looked at the list I was like "WTF was I thinking?" and took it off.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I love the idea of a "Do Not Play" list. I feel it gives the DJ a bit more freedom and he gets to do what you are, most likely, paying him a lot to do, which is play the music that gets the crowd going. On my "Do Not Play" list would be:

Uptown Funk
    Happy
    Electric Slide
    YMCA
    Celebration
    We Are Family

I've been to 3 weddings so far this summer and if I have to hear any of these songs one more time I'm going to cut an ear off. 

Happy planning!
  • The Chicken Dance, The Hokey Pokey. I actually don't have a DNP list- we're doing our play list (no DJ) and we're having music more as background music. If people want to dance, great; if not no big deal. I'm still waiting on my fiance to decide if he wants an AW first dance moment.
  • We didn't have a DNP list.    I did have a few that were by request only.    Mostly line dances.     I'm not a fan of the Electric Slide, but hey if my guests really want to dance to it, no skin off my back.  It's a perfect time to hit up the bar or go to the bathroom.

Yes, Electric slide was requested and played.  We had a packed dance floor all night, including the Electric slide.   NBD

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Any song with instructions:  cha cha slide, cupid shuffle etc.  
  • Cha Cha Slide
    YMCA
    Electric Clide
    Chicken Dance
    Shout
    The Wedding March
    There are a few others, but for some reason my online account wont let me log in and look. 
  • I'm kind of surprised they gave you a limit on songs you didn't want. If you don't want it, you are paying them to PLAY SOMETHING ELSE. I'm using a H&W guitar duo for both the ceremony and reception, so I don't have to worry about shitty requests. I gave her a general idea of what we DON'T like (choreographed crap, line dances, inappropriate shit) but aside from that it is really about what is in their repertoire. They just aren't going to be able to accommodate the Boot Scootin' Boogie.
  • Blurred lines is definitely at the top of my list.

Anything Black Eyed Peas

Uptown Funk

Cupid Shuffle

That's all I can think of the top of my head.

• My DJ sent me a list of the Top 200 most requested wedding songs and I've started crossing some off the list so he knows not to play them. DNP includes Blurred Lines, which he actually suggested and I shot down.
  • I was at a wedding that stated "Adult Reception", but there were over a dozen kids acting crazy before dinner even started. I know some people make exceptions for their own children/family kids, but if your invitation says "Adult Reception" then I am expecting zero kids there. Right after dinner the DJ started playing "What Does the Fox Say?" The kids went nuts. That was our cue to leave.

On our DNP List:
    Taylor Swift
    Justin Beaver
    We are family
    Celebration
    Country
  • @wildcat144 - Thank you for the link to the list. I printed it off and have been crossing off the songs I don't like or don't want played.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Uptown Funk
    Blurred Lines
    Happy

hate them!
    I also dont want Ed Sheerans Thinking Out Loud. SO OVERPLAYED lol
  • We only had songs that I knew myself and others couldn't handle emotionally, but our DJ was really good. He said he'd swap a song if people are just really not liking it. Tbh it ended up being a lot of slow songs that were swapped. Not a huge amount of recent songs either.
  • Uptown Funk
    Blurred Lines
    Happy hate them!

I also dont want Ed Sheerans Thinking Out Loud. SO OVERPLAYED lol
    I really want to just tell our DJ "please, no songs about rape" but I feel like s/he'll play Blurred Lines anyway if I don't put it on the do not play list...

• I feel a real comradery here, knowing I hate the same things as you, PPs.  ;)
  • Yeah, Blurred Lines, any line/step songs, Beaver, Pit bull are definitely on my DNP list. However, I'm making my own playlist with spotify, so it makes it easier. Thank you for the top 200 list by the way.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I love these kinds of topics. 

Similar to the above, line dances, chicken dance, YMCA, Celebration... those were on our list. 
    However, we weren't ones to cross songs off because of the lyrics aside from asking for the radio (not dirty) versions. We told our DJ "think 80's meets early 2000's frat party." That's what we got and that's what packed our dance floor. 

Know thyself, know thy crowd. I bet a lot of stuff played at my wedding would concern some people here, but the fact is, we all danced to those songs in college, we all sing along to those songs when we hear them at a bar even now. We didn't worry about if lyrics were "wedding appropriate" or not and got complimented that our reception was a great party. 

Our first dance was to a Taylor Swift / Ed Sheeran song. Haters gonna hate. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards