Budget Weddings Forum

Dresses?

Hi guys!

I can't be dealing with the traditional bridal dresses - it's just not my style.  Was wondering if you could recommend any simple (preferably budget!) dresses? FYI, I'm plus size, so custom sizing would be much easier to deal with!

Thanks in advance!

Re: Dresses?

• Hi guys!

I can't be dealing with the traditional bridal dresses - it's just not my style.  Was wondering if you could recommend any simple (preferably budget!) dresses? FYI, I'm plus size, so custom sizing would be much easier to deal with!

Thanks in advance!
    What would you consider your style and your budget?  That will help people give you quantifiable answers.
  • Hi guys!

Thanks in advance!
    What would you consider your style and your budget?  That will help people give you quantifiable answers.
    What she said. For custom, I always think eShakti but if you're looking for a simple white/off-white dress, I'd direct you to bridesmaid dresses. If you're looking for more modern, I'd think Kiyonna, Igigi, or Modcloth. It just depends on your taste.

Think about color (white or not?), length (long? short? train?), material (silk? lace?), etc.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • What do you mean by "the traditional bridal dresses"?  What is it that you don't like.
    David's Bridal is wonderful for plus size brides.  You might look at their bridesmaids dresses as an alternative.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Look at Bridesmaid dresses as options. You can do colors or many are available in white and ivory. So you can get something not so big & fancy but still formal. If you want something less formal, check out Torrid.
  • I bought a white prom dress on eBay.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Ooh, thank you everyone!! Sorry, I wasn't very specific... I want something simple, either knee-length or floor length, either dark-ish blue or white/ivory.

Simple, but I guess I want to still be a special snowflake :D

I found a nice dress on Etsy- what do you think?
    Ivory Hemp Silk Dress - eco wedding dress Rose
  • Love it!  I'd try to find a wrap tank style dress of a similar fabric at a store you can try to make sure you know you like the style on you first if you can.
  • danindidanindi member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2015
    While I did go traditional dress shopping a couple of times, I never felt comfortable doing it. It just wasn't a process that ~clicked with me. I found one dress I reaaally liked, but took myself to some department stores a few times over the course of a month or so, looking for anything that was more my style but could pass as a wedding dress. I found a Ted Baker dress at Bloomingdales that I *loved*. I happened to get a Friends and Family discount of 25% off so a $600ish dress was $479 after tax. Honestly, if I were still shopping around, I would be diving on some sales this holiday season; you might be able to luck out given that it's a party season.

• Love it!  I'd try to find a wrap tank style dress of a similar fabric at a store you can try to make sure you know you like the style on you first if you can.
    Great idea, thank you! Nice dress/ bridal stores in my area are pretty limited, unfortunately!
    danindi said:
    While I did go traditional dress shopping a couple of times, I never felt comfortable doing it. It just wasn't a process that ~clicked with me. I found one dress I reaaally liked, but took myself to some department stores a few times over the course of a month or so, looking for anything that was more my style but could pass as a wedding dress. I found a Ted Baker dress at Bloomingdales that I *loved*. I happened to get a Friends and Family discount of 25% off so a $600ish dress was $479 after tax. Honestly, if I were still shopping around, I would be diving on some sales this holiday season; you might be able to luck out given that it's a party season.

I was made to feel like a freaking whale.  I'm not skinny by any means, but I work out a lot and swim in competitions, so I'm not a couch potato.  Anyway, the woman was all, "this will look great once you've lost a few pounds!" which was the biggest put-off ever.

We have a really cool department store called Debenhams, they do some loooovely bridesmaid dresses, I'll take a look, thank you!
  • AriBeluga said:
    Love it!  I'd try to find a wrap tank style dress of a similar fabric at a store you can try to make sure you know you like the style on you first if you can.
    Great idea, thank you! Nice dress/ bridal stores in my area are pretty limited, unfortunately!
    danindi said:

I was made to feel like a freaking whale.  I'm not skinny by any means, but I work out a lot and swim in competitions, so I'm not a couch potato.  Anyway, the woman was all, "this will look great once you've lost a few pounds!" which was the biggest put-off ever.

We have a really cool department store called Debenhams, they do some loooovely bridesmaid dresses, I'll take a look, thank you!
    To the bolded, woooow what a jerk! haha I am surprised she can make a living as a salesperson if she goes around insulting customers like that. I would be so upset! 
  • AriBeluga said:
    Love it!  I'd try to find a wrap tank style dress of a similar fabric at a store you can try to make sure you know you like the style on you first if you can.
    danindi said:

To the bolded, woooow what a jerk! haha I am surprised she can make a living as a salesperson if she goes around insulting customers like that. I would be so upset! 
    Is cool, I just said, "Well, how much do you think I need to lose?", and walked out.  Sarcastic Ari loves to party! It's like, I have a squishy belly, broad AF shoulders and a tiny ass, but I'm pretty sure the OH loves me the way I am.

It's the whole "you need to be a certain size or have a certain look to be beautiful" thing that I really despise.  Ick.
  • I love the one you posted that you found on Etsy! My cousin got hers off of there and it turned out to be beautiful.

• Love that Etsy dress!

I was also going to suggest ModCloth, and David's Bridal has pretty good prices and lots of styles of their bridesmaid/ MOB dresses. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards