Chit Chat

BabyCenter's Most Popular Names 2015

http://www.babycenter.com/top-baby-names-2015

I always enjoy discussing names with you guys. I'm not too surprised by the list, personally. Someone commented and said all the girls names are from the 1800s and all the boys names sound like they're soap opera characters ;) I absolutely adore the name Charlotte and I like that it's gaining some well-deserved attention to place #14. 

If you guys have facebook, the BabyCenter comments are hilarious and palmface-worthy. A lot of people talking about how glad they are that their kids names are "yoonique" and how "people will be so confused if there are so many other kids with the same name"! I have a fairly common name, and FH has probably one of the most common names in this country this century. It's really not all that confusing :p 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: BabyCenter's Most Popular Names 2015

• I have a normal name with an semi-unusual spelling.   Honestly, it's a PITA to have to spell my name all the god damn time.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2015
    hellohkb said:
    lyndausvi said:
    I have a normal name with an semi-unusual spelling.   Honestly, it's a PITA to have to spell my name all the god damn time.
    When you say "Lynda with a Y" do people spell it "Yinda"? :p
    Oddly it becomes "Lydia" way too often.    Apparently saying "Lynda with a Y" means drop the "n", move the "d" over to the left and thrown in an "i" before the "a".

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:

I have a normal name with an semi-unusual spelling.   Honestly, it's a PITA to have to spell my name all the god damn time.

Same here. I often just give up.
  • I love the name Charlotte.  I'm kinda annoyed that it's becoming so popular.  We're not having kids, so not sure why this bothers me to begin with. hahaha.  I am a fan of classic names, but not hugely popular or trendy.
  • Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of any of these names.  The boy and girl name I like the best of the top 10 are Lily and Lucas, but I probably not use them for any children. The girl's name we like isn't weird, but it isn't even in the top 100. The boy name is in the top 20, so it's common, but not the most common. To each their own.

• JoanE2012 said:
    I love the name Charlotte.  I'm kinda annoyed that it's becoming so popular.  We're not having kids, so not sure why this bothers me to begin with. hahaha.  I am a fan of classic names, but not hugely popular or trendy.
    I'm with you!  I've loved the name Jackson for ever, and while we won't prevent one, I'm not dead set on having a baby and was sad that my favorite name rose to the top.
  • JoanE2012 said:
    I love the name Charlotte.  I'm kinda annoyed that it's becoming so popular.  We're not having kids, so not sure why this bothers me to begin with. hahaha.  I am a fan of classic names, but not hugely popular or trendy.
    I'm with you!  I've loved the name Jackson for ever, and while we won't prevent one, I'm not dead set on having a baby and was sad that my favorite name rose to the top.
    I like that name too. I just hate when the CK are replace with an X. Or even worse, two X's.

• We have Spanish and Italian last names so we would probably use a Spanish/Latin name for our kids. Although I love some of these and wish we could use them but they would sound SO weird! 

• I'm digging the revival of "older" names. They all go in cycles. Right now I have a thing for the name Eleanor. My friend's daughter's name is Charlotte and she was pretty thrilled when Duke/Duchess Cambridge named their daughter Charlotte. 
    I just have a Biblical name. Common enough to spell and pronounce, but not common enough to have 3 or 4 per class. When I was in K-8 at a small school (30-40 kids per grade) we had FOUR boys named Chris. Chris, Chris A, Chris C, and Chris G. Not hard to keep straight. People get so bent out of shape about being one of many in a class! 

• I don't really like any of these names to be honest. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• hellohkb said:
    JoanE2012 said:
    I like that name too. I just hate when the CK are replace with an X. Or even worse, two X's.
    Their alternate suggestions are even more annoying than the random spelling:

• Of course Emma is still on there. When I was little I didn't know another Emma until college. Now I'll be in a grocery store and hear a mom call out for "Emma" and I immediately turn around. Haha.

• My Goddaughter's name is Sophia.  It seems that name has been popular for several years  (she's 4).  It's a pretty name, though!
  • My niece and her best friend are both named Emily.   They don't seem confused and seem to keep each other straight on who is who.

• I've been liking Jackson/Jack a lot, but had no idea it was #1 for boys. booo.

For girls I like Ryan, Brooklyn and Caroline although I don't like Brook or Carol as nicknames so not sure I'd ever choose either.

• lyndausvi said:
    My niece and her best friend are both named Emily.   They don't seem confused and seem to keep each other straight on who is who.
    My best friend in 5th grade had the same first AND last name as me. We managed to keep it straight. Always got the wrong report cards though. I've actually known 4 other people directly that had the same first and last name, and about 15 more with just the same first name. Never bothered me one bit.
  • Honestly, I love about half of the names on this list (Ava, Olivia, Isabella, Noah, Liam, Jacob), but hate the rest. But because the ones I like are so popular, I wouldn't want to name a kid one of them. My nephew is one of three Noahs in his 4th grade class, so they all have to use their last initials as identifiers. I'm mad Ava is so popular, that has always been a name I have really, really loved.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have a relatively uncommon name - I have met three other people in real life with my name. And I almost always have to spell it, even though my spelling is the "normal" way to spell it. I would rather my future kids not have to deal with that, either.

Been thinking a lot about baby names lately, and if we ever have a girl, I really want her middle name to be Sue (my MIL's middle name by birth and current legal last name). I love Eleanor (Ellie Sue), Clara, Evelyn, and Camilla for girls. We are toying with Harold as our top boy name, in honor of H's late great-grandfather with whom he was very close. Honestly, I just love thinking about baby names.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kvruns said:

I've been liking Jackson/Jack a lot, but had no idea it was #1 for boys. booo.

For girls I like Ryan, Brooklyn and Caroline although I don't like Brook or Carol as nicknames so not sure I'd ever choose either.

My nephew's name is Jackson. I had no idea it was so popular. I don't know any others personally.

As far as nicknames go, I think it can go either way. My name's Christina, but no one has ever really called me Chris. It just doesn't fit me. On the other hand I have a daughter, Isabella (didn't realize that was so popular either), but we call her Izzy and so does everyone else. It just seems to fit her better. I guess what I'm saying is don't not pick a name because they might have a nickname.
  • madamerwinmadamerwin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2015
    kvruns said:

I've been liking Jackson/Jack a lot, but had no idea it was #1 for boys. booo.

I know a number of Brooklyns and Carolines and I have never heard anyone shorten them to Brook or Carol. I second what PP said about not choosing a name because they may possibly be called a shortened version, especially if the shortened version is uncommon (as your examples are).

ETF - remove double negative
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • to add on to this discussion.  Those who have children, or are pregnant, or TTC are you researching names in terms of meaning and popularity?

My sister and I are both having boys in January.  She told everyone the name she picked, Jaden.  When I was researching names for my own son I came across the rankings for Jaden and asked her if she knew that the name peaked at #4 and was currently #15.  She indicated that she did no research at all, just picked a name she liked.  Meanwhile, I research any name I like 34799465 different ways!
  • When we were picking our son's name, we wanted a name that was a "normal" name but wasn't horribly common. Ours is in the top 30. There will probably be one other kid in his class with the same first name. The three names that we picked all had short versions but we decided that we aren't going to shorten our son's name, his friend's can do that for him in school. 

We are happy with our son's name. It suits him. I like older biblical names. I remember being in class with 3 Sarahs, 3 Jennifers, 3 Sams, 2 Adams, 4 Johns, 2 Seans, 2 Lauras and 2 Lisas.
  • I'm surprised (and maybe I missed it) that there were no variants at all of my name on the list - Kristina.  I have several nicknames depending on who you are - close family Krissy (ugh, makes me feel 5 yo) and Kris, lots of friends call me Kris and my mom was the only one who called me Tina. In school and even now I know a ton of K/Chris variations, including H.

@lyndausvi - I can relate to your spelling dilemma.  I have spent most of my life "that's Kristina, with a K and an A.

• I'm surprised (and maybe I missed it) that there were no variants at all of my name on the list - Kristina.  I have several nicknames depending on who you are - close family Krissy (ugh, makes me feel 5 yo) and Kris, lots of friends call me Kris and my mom was the only one who called me Tina. In school and even now I know a ton of K/Chris variations, including H.

@lyndausvi - I can relate to your spelling dilemma.  I have spent most of my life "that's Kristina, with a K and an A.
    Just curious, why do you have to specify the A? Do people think you are saying Kristine often? I could see that getting annoying. And I work with a Kristina, a Kris, and a Cristina, and new people always have a really hard time remembering which is which :)

@kaos16 - I am definitely one of the people who researches names every which way... I want to avoid names that are trending (either currently in the top 10 or headed that way), as well as names with negative meanings or names of serial killers/dictators/infamous mobsters.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not currently TTC but will likely start in a year from now, so I've quietly been picking out names I like. Popularity has very little baring on what I want, but I'd almost prefer something more common than something too out there. But picking a name for an individual that doesn't exist or isn't born is so hard, because you don't even know their personalities yet. If it's a girl, I already picked Amy Charlotte Lastname. I'm lost on boys names! All the names I like sound too much like FI's first name or he thinks are terrible names.

My mom said she regrets not giving me a more dramatic feminine name such as Cassandra. I'm Kelly and my mom doesn't think it super fits me as an adult. Interestingly, I always wanted a name that ends with "A" instead of "Y" and here I am about to name my hypothetical daughter a name that ends with "Y".

• As a fellow chistina, I understand the need to stress the A. I am constantly being called Christine. Although that's a fine name, it's not my name.
  • kaos16 said:
    to add on to this discussion.  Those who have children, or are pregnant, or TTC are you researching names in terms of meaning and popularity?

My sister and I are both having boys in January.  She told everyone the name she picked, Jaden.  When I was researching names for my own son I came across the rankings for Jaden and asked her if she knew that the name peaked at #4 and was currently #15.  She indicated that she did no research at all, just picked a name she liked.  Meanwhile, I research any name I like 34799465 different ways!
    We are TTC.  The names we like are saint names (John or Joseph for a boy ... Gianna or Elizabeth for a girl).  

Our last name starts with 'S', so my brother is mostly concerned with helping us find a name that would give our child the initials of ASS.  He's joking ... I think ...
  • Too far, America.  Too far.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/02/living/most-popular-baby-names-babycenter-2015-feat/

"Want to know the trending baby names of 2015?

Check your Instagram filters.

Lux, Valencia, Willow and Ludwig -- all of which are filters used to alter images on Instagram -- are baby names on the rise, according to Babycenter.com's annual list of the most popular names."

• To the question of researching... What I find interesting are the studies that show what kind of names are more likely to get hired, and/or even be promoted. 

Simple names lead to making money. For a man, the name Jack, for example, ranks high on the list for the ability to get a good job earning a lot of money in the future. 
      If you're gonna name your kid Ludwig George LastName, you can bet he'll create his resume as L. George LastName. 

This discussion has been closed.
    Choose Another Board
    Search Boards