Favors

Favors for the older guest

So for my average guest I'm making up hangover kits and bags of candy for the kids. What should I do for older guests like my grandmother and great Aunt and Uncle? IDK!!

Re: Favors for the older guest

• So for my average guest I'm making up hangover kits and bags of candy for the kids. What should I do for older guests like my grandmother and great Aunt and Uncle? IDK!!
    Or you could not be ageist.  I mean, I'm sure that's a shocking concept, but....

• Maybe instead of a hangover kit just include some typical hangover cures in a general way that will be useful for any age. Instead of favors we did welcome bags which included individual doses of Advil, bottles of water, chips, fun size candy bars, and a deck of cards. It's not for hangovers as someone who doesn't drink can still enjoy having bottled water and salty/sugary snacks, it's more just something everyone wants when staying at a hotel. They were a huge hit. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What about the younger guests?  Do they not matter????
  • Wait you're giving the kids hangover kits AND candy? How will you be sure the old hags won't get as wasted as the kids?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Well let's see.   My older guests drink.  Might not enough to get a hangover, but they drink, a lot.  

I had a candy bar and my older guests LOVED it.  I made sure I had some old-school candies.  They loved seeing candy from their childhood.    To this day the 90-year old still talks about my candy bar and how she took more than one container.

Anyway, go edible for everyone.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • What is a "hangover kit"?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • My other suggestion: if you want to do hangover kits, instead of doing them as a favor, maybe just set out a basket with some kits that people can choose to take with them at the end of the night, if they think they may need them.  That would allow you to still provide them, if that's what you want, but it is limiting it only to people that actually want them.  If your demographic is mostly partying types who drink a lot, I'd say to make them for maybe half the guests at most.

• CMGragain said:
    What is a "hangover kit"?
    A kit of items to help guest endure (or maybe prevent) post-drinking hangover.  Often includes water (or maybe gatorade or electrolyte mix), aspirin, mints (to eliminate that post-vomit taste), and maybe pepto bismal tablets or alka-seltzer.

• CMGragain said:
    A kit of items to help guest endure (or maybe prevent) post-drinking hangover.  Often includes water (or maybe gatorade or electrolyte mix), aspirin, mints (to eliminate that post-vomit taste), and maybe pepto bismal tablets or alka-seltzer.
    Hmmm...that all seems like emergency kit/bathroom basket kind of stuff - not a small thank you gift you're giving me to thank me for attending your wedding (which is what a favor is).  Water is available at the bar at the reception and free out of the tap at the hotel.  Keep non-alcoholic beverages available at the bar, like pop and lemonade and offer coffee for those people who are smart enough to cut themselves off or don't want to drink in the first place.  I already keep mints and gum in my purse (or I'll brush my teeth back at the hotel, which also usually supplies mouthwash).  I almost always have advil in my purse or suitcase if I traveled.  And I've never ever taken pepto bismal or Alka-Seltzer for anything.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    CMGragain said:

Sounds gross and insulting, to me.  So you are expecting your guests to need this?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • So for my average guest I'm making up hangover kits and bags of candy for the kids. What should I do for older guests like my grandmother and great Aunt and Uncle? IDK!!

Give everyone some yummy chocolate, a few gourmet cookies, or a slice of cake in a box. A hangover kit is going to go in the trash if it's even taken home. I say this from experience, not to hurt your feelings.
  • Really, your older guests won't expect favors.  They weren't common back in the day.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Really, your older guests won't expect favors.  They weren't common back in the day.
    ah, I've seen favors at weddings dating back to the late 70's.  So almost 40 years ago.  So yeah, some older guests might "expect" them.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • CMGragain said:
    Really, your older guests won't expect favors.  They weren't common back in the day.
    Even if they won't expect them (which I actually find hard to believe), I bet they will expect to be treated equally with all the other guests.  And they'll probably be pretty put off at being singled out and excluded or treated differently.  I don't know anyone of any age who enjoys that.
  • jacques27 said:
    CMGragain said:
    Even if they won't expect them (which I actually find hard to believe), I bet they will expect to be treated equally with all the other guests.  And they'll probably be pretty put off at being singled out and excluded or treated differently.  I don't know anyone of any age who enjoys that.
    Yes, you are right about that!  My thought is, why have favors at all?  They aren't necessary.  In 1976, I was told that favors were for children's birthday parties.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Cute idea, but like a pp said, what about adults who don't drink? And how do you control who gets/takes which favor? Also, I would hate to be the parent who has to explain to my child what a hangover kit is for. It may give the kids the wrong idea about drinking.
  • If you're going to have favors at all, just have edible favors for everyone.
  • CMGragain said:
    jacques27 said:
    CMGragain said:
    Yes, you are right about that!  My thought is, why have favors at all?  They aren't necessary.  In 1976, I was told that favors were for children's birthday parties.

The only "favors" I recall from weddings back then were matchbooks and coasters.  I think of those days as the "Madmen Days".  I'm not sure they were favors as much as necessities for those times.  I can think of many people that used to keep large snifters on a living room or bar countertop filled with those matchbooks.

• This is hilarious! Thanks for the laugh lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards