Chit Chat

BabyCenter's Most Popular Names 2015

2»

Re: BabyCenter's Most Popular Names 2015

• MrsMack10612MrsMack10612 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2015
    @madamerwin - Yes, I get Kristine all the time.  I've been dealing with it for the last 30 of my 40+ years.  I seem to run into a world at large that thinks the only female K/Chris name is Christine.

ETA:  An no one ever asks - they always just assume Ch.

I actually have to emphasize the A in my last name as well. It's a semi-common name that can be spelled either 'an' or 'en'.  Apparently for most 'en' is the default.

• @madamerwin - Yes, I get Kristine all the time.  I've been dealing with it for the last 30 of my 40+ years.  I seem to run into a world at large that thinks the only female K/Chris name is Christine.

I actually have to emphasize the A in my last name as well. It's a semi-common name that can be spelled either 'an' or 'en'.  Apparently for most 'en' is the default.
    My sister is Kristy and everyone assumes she's Christie too:).
  • The alternate names are really irritating me.  Jackman.  Brayson.  Kiam.  Noe.  Why not just call your kid Sneauxflaykke and be done with it?
  • @madamerwin - Yes, I get Kristine all the time.  I've been dealing with it for the last 30 of my 40+ years.  I seem to run into a world at large that thinks the only female K/Chris name is Christine.

I'm Kristan.  I get all sorts of variations / combinations.  Ch, K, Kr, -en, -in, -ina, -ine, etc ....

My maiden name started with D.  There were 2 other Kristin's in my classes growing up.  One was Kristin V and one was Kristin E.  "D", "E", and "V" all sound alike, so we were often confused by whom the teacher was callling.  Atg my 10 year reunion, we greeted each other as "Kristin E", etc.  It's funny that all these years later, we still think of ourselves that way.
  • hellohkb said:
    I'm not currently TTC but will likely start in a year from now, so I've quietly been picking out names I like. Popularity has very little baring on what I want, but I'd almost prefer something more common than something too out there. But picking a name for an individual that doesn't exist or isn't born is so hard, because you don't even know their personalities yet. If it's a girl, I already picked Amy Charlotte Lastname. I'm lost on boys names! All the names I like sound too much like FI's first name or he thinks are terrible names. My mom said she regrets not giving me a more dramatic feminine name such as Cassandra. I'm Kelly and my mom doesn't think it super fits me as an adult. Interestingly, I always wanted a name that ends with "A" instead of "Y" and here I am about to name my hypothetical daughter a name that ends with "Y".

Kelly is a great name!  And there were always 1-2 other Kellys. Heck even at work in our 55 person office there were 3 of us - and 2 started on the same day, talk about confusing for people.
  • DH and I are TTC and we have boy and girl names picked out. I didn't really research them because they are names we like and family names. However, I was originally supposed to be named Anna and when I was born my parents said I didn't look like an "Anna or Anne" so they named me Emma. The names we've picked out could change while I'm pregnant or when a baby is born.

• Just to note... Having a common name does not mean never having to spell out your name. My maiden name was one of the simplest/most common names (think like Kim Smith) and I still was asked to spell both first and last names everywhere I went.

Even now, my married last name is easy to spell, but it is also a kind of derogatory term in other circumstances. I always have to spell it out because people don't want to assume it is spelled the way it sounds.

Having to spell your name when talking to vendors is just one of the necessary evils of life no matter what your name is, I think.
  • I am Sarah and I married a Michael. So, yeah....super common over here. I am pregnant (don't know what we are having and don't plan to find out). We aren't really researching names but are maintaining a list of things we like (it is kind of short, can't seem to agree....)

H leans toward very traditional stuff, while I like slightly less traditional (but not ridiculous). Right now, I would vote for Luke (boy) or Violet (girl).
  • HID14118 said:
    As a fellow chistina, I understand the need to stress the A. I am constantly being called Christine. Although that's a fine name, it's not my name.
    My manager's name is Kristine, and she constantly gets called Kristin.  So the letter dropping never ends LOL
    Married 9.12.15
  • Speaking of supposedly easy-to-spell names, I was pretty excited to take my H's last name, because my maiden name is a super uncommon last name (like, everyone with it in the US is likely related to me). It rhymes with a very common last name but is spelled differently. Even when I would spell it out for people, 50% of the time they wrote it down wrong. Seemed to confuse the shit out of people.

When I got married and took H's name, I thought that would end. But it turns out that most people assume it's spelled with an I, not an E, so there's no escape from having to spell it for people.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My new last name is weird and it's spelled with a Ch but pronounced like Sh. Whenever I'm asked for my last name, I try to spell it without saying it. If I say it first, I always - ALWAYS have to say "C H - No S - ". I was astonished last week when someone pronounced it correctly.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • My new last name is weird and it's spelled with a Ch but pronounced like Sh. Whenever I'm asked for my last name, I try to spell it without saying it. If I say it first, I always - ALWAYS have to say "C H - No S - ". I was astonished last week when someone pronounced it correctly.
    I feel you. My maiden name was an "-sch" and it was frequently mispronounced with a CH sound rather than the proper SH sound. 
    My married name ends in "sz" and they pronounce it "SS" rather than what I originally would have assumed as "SH." But, it's shorter than my maiden name so I'm thrilled to have far fewer letters to spell out over the phone with customer service folks...! 

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    I am a Sarah and I married an Adam :P. I always had another Sarah in the class. In my masters program, there were 5 of us!! 

Fortunately our last name is wayyyy uncommon. It's Hungarian. There are only 4 us with that last name living in Canada (all my husband's family- I have made up the 4th ;) ). Thus we figure when we do name our future children we don't need anything too crazy because the last name will be "unique" enough (more than unique...because no one can pronounce it). 

I like most of the names on the list, though I would want something less popular. I like classic, elegant names. Such as Emma, Charlotte, Evelyn, Rosalie, Audrey, Isabella, Anastasia, Everleigh, Emmaline, and Hadley for girls. For boys I'm a little less decided but I like Everett, Emmett, Ian, Sebastian, Grayson and Owen. 

DH and I can't agree on any names except for Anastasia. So we'll see how that goes. DH actually really wants to name our future daughter "Solomia". It's Ukranian. I think our last name is crazy enough for North America.

As for this list- one thing that is amusing is how often I can say, "Yep, know someone with that name, and that name".

What I also find interesting is the current celebrity trend of giving your daughter a boys' name.

Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds named their daughter James. Leighton Meester and Adam Brody named their daughter Arlo Day. And Ashley Simpson named her daughter Jagger Snow.
  • I'm annoyed because I have wanted to name my daughter Sophia for like the last 15 years, but Sophia has been the #1 name for years now, and I really don't want to pick the MOST popular name there is.  I'm not like a Hipster that wants a "unique" name or something, I just didn't want to choose the #1 name... I was kind of hoping the Sophia trend would die out soon.

SaveSave
  • My name isn't on there!! Lol Never is .... peaked in the 80s, but never top 10 :smile:  and yet .... Starbucks cannot spell it. Just throwing an "i" in the middle! I don't need more vowels thanks.

This totally bites. Jackson/Jack have been topping for awhile. H and I agreed first child is Jack or Jaclyn and it's a family name :(

My mother isn't there, but my mother in law is lol Although my mother has a rare name sorta, more popular in Spanish families.
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2015
    JoanE2012 said:
    I love the name Charlotte.  I'm kinda annoyed that it's becoming so popular.  We're not having kids, so not sure why this bothers me to begin with. hahaha.  I am a fan of classic names, but not hugely popular or trendy.
    I'm with you!  I've loved the name Jackson for ever, and while we won't prevent one, I'm not dead set on having a baby and was sad that my favorite name rose to the top.
    DD was going to be Jackson/Jack if she was a boy.  In her preschool class, there were four Jacksons.  Literally >1/2 of the boys were named Jackson, and that's not counting the Jack.  DH and I felt like we dodged a bullet, and when we found out DS was going to be a boy, we didn't even consider it.  However, SIL named her son Jackson and it isn't nearly as popular where she lives.  I think we just live in a strongly pro-Jackson area.  :)

As an aside, I had to look at the list on my phone, because when I tried from work it was blocked:  "Reason:Sex Education & Pregnancy - Web pages with educational materials and clinical explanations of sex, safe sex, birth control, pregnancy, and similar topics aimed at teens and children." 
  • These aren't the actual top names, just the top names for Baby Center users. The actual top names are released by the Social Security Administration.
  • Since people can not spell my name by now, we are giving up and naming future children 1 & 2. 

Yes, people can't spell Clara.  I have to spell it out all the time.  I could get confusion for Claire or Cara/Kara but people want to add various other letters in.  Grace is usually ok, but I had a "better" spelling once was Khlira Grisy.  I apparently have a Game of Thrones name.

Never mind last names.  DF hasn't been Americanized so it's really fun. Mine has some 12 billion and 7 spelling variations between A and E in the first vowel, various doubling of letters and if the second vowel is an E or I. I'm still taking his, if we have to spell it out either way, let's go with the one that baffles telemarketers.
  • Since people can not spell my name by now, we are giving up and naming future children 1 & 2. 

Yes, people can't spell Clara.  I have to spell it out all the time.  I could get confusion for Claire or Cara/Kara but people want to add various other letters in.  Grace is usually ok, but I had a "better" spelling once was Khlira Grisy.  I apparently have a Game of Thrones name.

Never mind last names.  DF hasn't been Americanized so it's really fun. Mine has some 12 billion and 7 spelling variations between A and E in the first vowel, various doubling of letters and if the second vowel is an E or I. I'm still taking his, if we have to spell it out either way, let's go with the one that baffles telemarketers.

How on earth do people not know how to spell Clara? =/

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• hellohkb said:
    Since people can not spell my name by now, we are giving up and naming future children 1 & 2. 

If I knew that, I'd have billions of dollars.  I do not get it.  I can get the K issue.  I can get Claire. But not having a clue on a not kr8v spelled name baffles me. I have been tempted to ask what they're smoking, but I probably don't want to know.

Thus children will be named 1 & 2.
  • In the 1950s, Christine was not a popular name.  I was the only person who had it in my many different schools that I attended.  My mother insisted that I use a different name, which complicated things.
    I like classic names, since I had a "cute" one forced upon me.  Now that Mom is gone, I use my legal name, Christine, more often than I used to.
    I think it was Phantom of the Opera that popularized it.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• hellohkb said:

Since people can not spell my name by now, we are giving up and naming future children 1 & 2. 

If I knew that, I'd have billions of dollars.  I do not get it.  I can get the K issue.  I can get Claire. But not having a clue on a not kr8v spelled name baffles me. I have been tempted to ask what they're smoking, but I probably don't want to know.

Thus children will be named 1 & 2.

Will that be spelled One, or Won?  Or are you sticking with the number?  And Two, To, Too or Tu?  Or maybe the number again??  ;)

We are sticking with the numbers. Maybe we'll do 8, which is pronounced as 1.

Otherwise, it's Qhuhrxawguj'rerhgd!dgud which is obviously Sarah.
  • late to this party (i've been lurking more than posting) but clearly my dog has the best name on the list ;)

the names I have picked in my head that we've talked about (not currently TTC) are unique-ish? There probably wouldn't be more than 2 in a class but definitely don't need to ask how to spell them. 

• I've always had a fascination with naming trends. My brothers have "popular" names for our generation, but mostly because their dads named them. However, my sister and I have the kinds of names where people have heard of someone with it once upon a time, but never met anyone with it themselves. My FI's name is even stranger than mine. I'll give you a hint-- it's part of my username. I've always wondered what it would be like to meet someone with my name. Names have a way of shaping us to a degree. I wonder if she or her (my name is traditionally male in the culture it originated, but female in the Western world) would be anything like me.

FI and I have discussed baby names. We're thinking when the time comes we will stick with traditional Celtic or Nordic names, since that's the heritage we share. I'd like names that are not necessarily so common there will be one to four in every class the kids are in, but something people won't struggle to pronounce.

• ohmrs2014ohmrs2014 mod
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited December 2015
    I wanted to name our LO Charlotte so bad, before the Duchess and Prince named their daughter.  I was overruled and we went with Scarlett.  

I do like that the older names are coming back.  They are such classics.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards