Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Totally vegan wedding menu... Thoughts?

2»

Re: Totally vegan wedding menu... Thoughts?

• I can't speak to the vegan diet part, but even my meat and potatoes DH would eat this! Sounds good!
  • Your menu sounds delicious, but I agree with those who don't care for "fake meat."  It is off-putting.  If you want to make meat eaters comfortable with a vegan meal, don't serve anything and pass it off as fake meat.
  • Honestly, if I found out after the fact that a totally vegan menu was being served, I would be annoyed.  And having tofu/soy options (which is my mind are worse for you because they are processed) are fine if you are used to eating that stuff, but honestly, I gag when I try to eat it because I can't get passed the texture.  I get that it's against your morals, but forcing fake meat upon your guests is rude.  Please try to stick to filling pasta dishes, maybe add in beans or some way for your guests to get some form of protein.  I would feel awful if any of my guests left feeling hungry.  

I agree with above, a vegetarian menu would be way better for your guests and not so restricting. 

And definitely inform guests beforehand so they don't come hungry and leave disappointed.  
  • I agree that a non-fake meat option or two is absolutely necessary - I have issues with the texture of tofu also (though give me a really good tempeh dish and I'll love you forever). Guest comfort is absolutely important, but a hearty pasta with roasted veggies fills bellies just as well as meat and cheeses - particularly whole wheat varieties which have more fiber.

However, if it's against your morals to serve non-vegan food, you absolutely shouldn't consider expanding the menu to omnivore or even just vegetarian for your wedding. I'd totally side-eye someone who was entering one of the most meaningful commitments of their lives by compromising their morals - or anyone who pushed them to do so.  
  • I'm on board with the other posters about the fake chicken pot pie. I would rather have the option if your caterer can make it happen for a nice vegan pasta with a good meatless marinara would be a great option. You can even skip the cheese if you like, unless there is a really good vegan mozeralla cheese you know of. Or maybe even a vegetable lasgana would be nice. But pasta with marina, you can't go wrong, even for most of the pickest eaters you may encounter.

I respect your decision to have a vegan wedding and I don't think you necessarily need to advise guests in advance. If you know them well enough to invite them, they probably know you are vegan and expect the food for the reception to vegan.

• Will there be any kids present? Id least have unsauced pasta available, in addition to the pasta option, if so. Your suggested menu is not kid friendly unless they are used to eating vegan already.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• sorghum butter is still made with butter so how would that be vegan?

menu sounds good glad you decided take out the fake meat.

also want to caution you on the nuts can you leave them out and maybe have them on the side someplace away from the food where if someone wanted the nuts they could put them on themselves.

nuts are a common alergen and there are many who have nut allergies nut allergies are also airborn so if you are deathly allergic to nuts  even the smell of it out in the open can cause a reaction 
  • I'm not a vegan (actually huge meat eater), but I think your menu sounds incredibly yummy, AMAZING and I want to come to you wedding.  ;-)  I also think, stick to your guns.  You have standards you care about, and the wedding is not the place to lay down on those standards.  Yes, the reception is for the guests, but YOU are paying for it, and you are offering enough that nobody will go hungry, and pickier people should still be able to find something easily.  Even if someone chooses to eat NOTHING, that is their choice, and they will not die.  They will not starve; they will get hungry.  I know it is not ideal, but it is survivable.  (I also doubt that there will be anyone who can eat absolutely nothing at your reception!)  I went to a wedding once with an incredibly picky eater.  He ate rolls and salad with no dressing.  He was fine, he still had fun.  You can not possibly please every guest, so I say, go with what you believe in and what sounds good to you.

I am not bothered by tofu and tempeh, "fake meat" or some of the items I'm not familiar with, but I'm a pretty big foodie and will try almost anything put in front of me.

At first thought, I was going to suggest you put it on the RSVP, that it will be a vegan menu.  But, then I read your comment that it might turn off people who before they even try it, and I agree with you.  I also imagine most people you know well enough to invite to your wedding, will know you are vegan - so they won't be incredibly surprised by the vegan menu.  

If you have kids coming, maybe do something a little less fancy for them, peanut butter (or almond butter for those with allergies) and jelly/jam on vegan bread. Just off the top of my head...maybe with a little fruit cup.  Maybe the adults who hate veggies can have that too!  :-)

Lots of people bringing up allergies.  Serve the nuts on the side, maybe?  Again, you can do many things to try and accommodate everyone, but where there will be 50+ people, it will be very hard to make everyone happy with every choice they have.  If you are worried about people being full enough, as some have stated, you could always add a midnight "snack" of some sort, maybe find a vendor doing vegan donuts or something.  If you don't want to incur additional cost, maybe just try to pick things that seem more filling, those with more proteins and fiber than others, because I really do think everything sounds great, including the alternates.   

If it really concerns you still, designate your MOH or a close family friend that if people start grumbling about the food (and how rude if they do!) then someone can order some pizzas or something for those who just CAN'T be vegan for a night.  Maybe their gift to you can be paying for it, so you guys don't have to buy animal products.

BTW, if I had read your menu, without knowing your vegan stance, I would not miss the meat.  I only knew meat was missing because you mentioned it.  I would never read that in a million years, and say, "this is a strict vegan menu."  It's just a menu, that sounds delicious and varied.
  • I'm not a vegan (actually huge meat eater), but I think your menu sounds incredibly yummy, AMAZING and I want to come to you wedding.  ;-)  I also think, stick to your guns.  You have standards you care about, and the wedding is not the place to lay down on those standards.  Yes, the reception is for the guests, but YOU are paying for it, and you are offering enough that nobody will go hungry, and pickier people should still be able to find something easily.  Even if someone chooses to eat NOTHING, that is their choice, and they will not die.  They will not starve; they will get hungry.  I know it is not ideal, but it is survivable.  (I also doubt that there will be anyone who can eat absolutely nothing at your reception!)  I went to a wedding once with an incredibly picky eater.  He ate rolls and salad with no dressing.  He was fine, he still had fun.  You can not possibly please every guest, so I say, go with what you believe in and what sounds good to you.

I am not bothered by tofu and tempeh, "fake meat" or some of the items I'm not familiar with, but I'm a pretty big foodie and will try almost anything put in front of me.

At first thought, I was going to suggest you put it on the RSVP, that it will be a vegan menu.  But, then I read your comment that it might turn off people who before they even try it, and I agree with you.  I also imagine most people you know well enough to invite to your wedding, will know you are vegan - so they won't be incredibly surprised by the vegan menu.  

If you have kids coming, maybe do something a little less fancy for them, peanut butter (or almond butter for those with allergies) and jelly/jam on vegan bread. Just off the top of my head...maybe with a little fruit cup.  Maybe the adults who hate veggies can have that too!  :-)

Lots of people bringing up allergies.  Serve the nuts on the side, maybe?  Again, you can do many things to try and accommodate everyone, but where there will be 50+ people, it will be very hard to make everyone happy with every choice they have.  If you are worried about people being full enough, as some have stated, you could always add a midnight "snack" of some sort, maybe find a vendor doing vegan donuts or something.  If you don't want to incur additional cost, maybe just try to pick things that seem more filling, those with more proteins and fiber than others, because I really do think everything sounds great, including the alternates.   

If it really concerns you still, designate your MOH or a close family friend that if people start grumbling about the food (and how rude if they do!) then someone can order some pizzas or something for those who just CAN'T be vegan for a night.  Maybe their gift to you can be paying for it, so you guys don't have to buy animal products.

BTW, if I had read your menu, without knowing your vegan stance, I would not miss the meat.  I only knew meat was missing because you mentioned it.  I would never read that in a million years, and say, "this is a strict vegan menu."  It's just a menu, that sounds delicious and varied.
    Most of your suggestions are fine, but the bolded paragraph is a big NOPE.

• edited September 2015
    I love all kinds of foods of varied ethnicities, including tofu- eat it all the time- but I wouldn't be a huge fan of this menu.  I'd make do, but I'd probably need to leave early to get a meal.

I'd have to sneak in some parmigiano reggiano for the pasta, if there was no actual milk for coffee I'd skip it, I'm not a fan of nuts in dishes, and if people have allergies you will want to nix them from the menu completely due to cross contamination risks, I don't care for kale or collard greens as they are too bitter, and I'm not a fan of actual Shepherd's pie, which is a lamb dish, so I wouldn't eat the veggie version.

I'd actually be bummed that there was no tofu option at a vegan reception, and while I don't know what tempeh is I'd like to try it.

ETA:  I'd be all over Oreos for dessert, but you can't have Oreos without milk to dip them in!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I love all kinds of foods of varied ethnicities, including tofu- eat it all the time- but I wouldn't be a huge fan of this menu.  I'd make do, but I'd probably need to leave early to get a meal.

I'd have to sneak in some parmigiano reggiano for the pasta, if there was no actual milk for coffee I'd skip it, I'm not a fan of nuts in dishes, and if people have allergies you will want to nix them from the menu completely due to cross contamination risks, I don't care for kale or collard greens as they are too bitter, and I'm not a fan of actual Shepherd's pie, which is a lamb dish, so I wouldn't eat the veggie version.

I'd actually be bummed that there was no tofu option at a vegan reception, and while I don't know what tempeh is I'd like to try it.

ETA:  I'd be all over Oreos for dessert, but you can't have Oreos without milk to dip them in!

You'd leave early because you can't survive the horrors of pasta without genuine parmigiano reggiano? Get a grip princess that "need" doesn't mean the problem is with the menu.
  • edited September 2015
    I love all kinds of foods of varied ethnicities, including tofu- eat it all the time- but I wouldn't be a huge fan of this menu.  I'd make do, but I'd probably need to leave early to get a meal.

You'd leave early because you can't survive the horrors of pasta without genuine parmigiano reggiano? Get a grip princess that "need" doesn't mean the problem is with the menu.
    No, I'd leave early if I was still hungry, because I don't care for many of the items on her menu. Not because they are vegan but because I just don't like them.  I think she should have a tofu or tempeh option, but other people here convinced her otherwise.

I never said I couldn't eat the pasta, I said I'd sneak in cheese for the pasta, which was tongue in cheek. . . glad to see you took the bait though.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Actually....isn't that for the OP to decide?  It's her decision what is and isn't a big NOPE at her wedding.  If she hates the idea, fine.  If she doesn't, it's not your choice to tell her that she shouldn't.  If she wanted to do it, and asked about it on a board, then you could let her know your opinion on it that you didn't think it was a good idea, but that still doesn't mean she can't do it.  She can do whatever she wants at her wedding.  If she wants flying monkeys to drop pizzas from the heavens down onto her guests, okay.  People might not like it, but not their choice to tell her she can't.  Just like nobody can tell her not to have a totally 100% vegan wedding reception.  

I was actually at a wedding once where they brought in pizzas at the end.  Granted, it was a midnight snack, post dinner, but it was not only wonderful, it was fun and appreciated.

BTW - I was actually joking around a little bit.  I wouldn't expect her MOH to buy pizzas for her entire wedding reception.  I was mainly suggesting alternatives can be found if people are absolutely miserable.
  • Actually....isn't that for the OP to decide? No, regardless of what she decides to do it's a huge etiquette nope. It's her decision what is and isn't a big NOPE at her wedding.  If she hates the idea, fine.  If she doesn't, it's not your choice to tell her that she shouldn't. Sure it is.  You can tell by how I chose to tell her that it was against etiquette (aka manners). If she wanted to do it, and asked about it on a board, then you could let her know your opinion on it that you didn't think it was a good idea, but that still doesn't mean she can't do it. Can physically, cannot socially without being a rude jerk.   She can do whatever she wants at her wedding.  If she wants flying monkeys to drop pizzas from the heavens down onto her guests, okay. Again, can physically (maybe - the logistics sound complicated for that), but cannot do it socially without being a rude jerk. People might not like it, but not their choice to tell her she can't. Unless they choose to tell her she can't.  . Just like nobody can tell her not to have a totally 100% vegan wedding reception.  Well, sure they can.  A few people did.  I think they're wrong, but they still told her.

I was actually at a wedding once where they brought in pizzas at the end.  Granted, it was a midnight snack, post dinner, but it was not only wonderful, it was fun and appreciated.  You misunderstand.  There's nothing wrong with serving pizza at a wedding.  There IS something wrong with a) giving your MOH or family members the job of determining if more food needs to be ordered (they're your honored guests, not workers at your wedding), and especially b) telling someone that their gift to you is buying food for your wedding.  Those things are what are a big Nope.

BTW - I was actually joking around a little bit.  I wouldn't expect her MOH to buy pizzas for her entire wedding reception.  I don't care if you were serious or not, and there was nothing indicating that you weren't serious.  Don't tell people to do rude things and you won't get pushback for your rude ideas.  I was mainly suggesting alternatives can be found if people are absolutely miserable. 
    By the way, if you want to reply to someone in particular you need to hit "quote," not "reply."

• Viczaesar said:

Viczaesar said:
    I think this sounds pretty fantastic! I would def include the pasta option but I think you've got some great variety. You're serving a green salad, mashed potatoes, and corn bread. If people are so picky they can't cope with that, oh well! They can work on being grown ups. I do think you should figure out a way to inquire about allergies though. Maybe even on the RSVP card "a vegan buffet will be served. Please let us know if you have any allergies." Or similar.
    Green salad, mashed potatoes, and corn bread don't make a full meal, and not liking those items does not make somebody not a 'grown up.'
    Ditto.  That's definitely not a meal in my book.   And while I like the 3 items above (though I can't eat walnuts on the salad), if I didn't - to say that means I'm not a grown up is ridiculous.
    Not being able to survive an evening on this menu, if you don't have actual food allergies, is absurd, childish, and not something the rest of us need to cater to.
    No.  Expecting an actual meal and not random, unfilling, unbalanced sides is neither absurd nor childish.  It would be no different than having no main course for a vegetarian or vegan and expecting them to subsist on the salad and rolls.
    I'll be the first person on here to write, I would HATE this menu. It's just one persons opinion, but it is true for me. I consider myself I picky eater, and my FH, who is a trained cook, also would not like anything on it (neither of us our a big fan of greens). I'm sure as picky eaters do and I've always done, I'd pick my way through some stuff on your menu, but I wouldn't consider it enjoyable or fulfilling.

If I were invited to this wedding and knew the couple, then I would probably know they were vegan to begin with so might expect something. I do think it would be a good idea to include the menu options in the invite or the phrase as someone else suggested "a vegan buffet will be served" somewhere. I wouldn't argue with you on your moral beliefs, but I would be a guest who would be thankful to have known before hand what to expect because I would probably eat before your wedding or be prepared to have something at home for afterwards. It's you're wedding, so I think you should do what you want and you know your guests better than anyone who posts here.

I am having what I would call a traditional buffet with a chicken, beef, meatless pasta, potato, and vegetable plus a served salad; however, I still gave guests with food allergies and special requests (vegetarians, religious beliefs, etc.) and option for an entree that would be more satisfying than just having to be limited to a side salad for their meal. I chose not to have fish on my buffet but if that's all someone could eat, or if they'd like a heartier salad than just a caeser side, they chef can make one. It's not an allergy or religious reason I prefer to eat meat, but it would be nice to see that same courtesy of options available to me if I was a guest at their wedding. I have friends who are vegetarian (I do not know any vegans). I don't force my love of meat onto other people, and I appreciate they don't push their choice of being a vegan/vegetarian forced onto me. We go out to eat together and everyone can be happy and stick to their own beliefs at the same time, the key to that is going to places that serve all options, and it would be great to see that at weddings too.
  • A good friend of mine is vegan.  She always brings her own food to parties and never puts it on anyone else.  She'll talk about it if asked but doesn't make a scene. When she got married she wanted to be able to eat everything at her wedding, plus she did not want to pay for food she to which she had moral objections.  I thought she was perfectly reasonable in wanting this for herself and her husband.  
    She had a series of the fake meat prepared different ways along with some pasta with a few different sauces.  The food was great, everyone ate it despite the couple being the only true vegan couple.  Her caterer was less than great and did not prepare enough (and did not have food ready until almost 9:30 at night!)

Everyone seemed fine with it... this is, however, where we learned that my fiance has a serious soy allergy.  It's a funny story now but just something to think about!
  • I'm an omnivore. I think your menu sounds great.

You can have an entirely vegan meal without it being "weird" food. I do not think that just because meat isn't an option, it's not a meal.

I will agree to remove any "fake meat" dishes, add a pasta dish in, and to include a few mainstream items (such as the mashed potatoes). I would also consider a soup- easy to make vegan, and filling. Meal wise, I would include a quinoa or other grain bowl- very filling. 

Our vegetarian option was a stuffed pepper pouffe thing. Something like that would be a good option- easy to make vegan, and still very mainstream. 
  • Zombie thread, guys.

• Adding to the allergy concerns. I wouldn't be able to eat anything with nuts or soy on the menu.
  • I can't understand why people are so upset that you aren't serving a meat dish- I can understand not wanting to eat fake meat, but you have so many delicious, whole food options on your menu that you aren't forcing anybody to go hungry. If somebody is skipping out on eating the cornbread, veggies and mashed potatoes simply because there isn't butter on it than I would imagine they are a picky enough eater to have trouble finding food they will eat at any wedding, regardless of whether it's vegan or an omnivore buffet. I think your menu sounds incredible and if any guests won't eat their dinners send their leftovers my way ;) 
  • Viczaesar said:
    Zombie thread, guys.
    Oops, missed that. Wonder how it turned out for the OP. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards