Wedding Etiquette Forum

Salon forgetting to charge for service

Re: Salon forgetting to charge for service

• There was no written contract and she told me when she booked the appointments that she would see who should could get but she wasn't sure who it would be. I thought the price she gave was for a regular and maybe she had an intern that day, also the payment ran through to the owner and not the salon so i'm  a little worried that the girl who did the nails won't see any of the tip.

And they waited to call me till quite a few days latter which led to a lot of stress do to changes in employment status, with in that time.  I also tried fairly hard to make sure everyone got paid before I signed up for school cause I needed to know how much I had for classes, when you make minimum wage to sometimes are a little close on accounts then you'd like to be.  

Shes not a business I've ever used before, if she's been some one I knew well I would have just asked to pay her the next time I was in.  Also,  when I offered to mail them a check, I don't really use my credit card, they blamed it on being super busy, the were only 3 customers the entire time I was there, if your gonna ask me to correct you mistake at least own it. Finally they complained about me sending them the check not coming out and paying for the gas to get there, even though under state law i could have told them they were owed no more.  I was trying to make it right for them.

So you received the call on Tuesday, posted to the Knot sometime Thursday, and as of Friday (today) you mailed the check in, they received the check and harassed you over mailing said check?
  • Let me get this straight.  You just got married a week or so ago.   Yet your 1st and only posts are on whether or not you should pay someone for their services?

Really? Seriously?

This is causing stress?   They are mad you are sending a check?  I do not understand the gas money point.

Sorry, not buying any of it.   Like at all.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited December 2015

But...this isn't about the government and taxes. Lol. Your logic doesn't work. There's no penalty for this. The owner can use this as a learning lesson and make sure she does due diligence in the future.

Part of being a small business owner means managing your company and customer service well. That's also how capitalism works. The owner failed to do both.
  • I'll be the odd one out and say this:

Her miscalculations are on her. I wouldn't pay her. It's a WEEK later? Yeah, no. This can be her "lesson learned" to pay more attention next time. If you got an item you thought was on sale and then a week later the cashier called and said it wasn't, it was just a mistake, would you pay the full price? I wouldn't.

I don't think You are legally obligated to pay now. You paid what you thought was the right amount at the time of services rendered. Morally? Ehhhhh...Do you frequent there?

I really hope you're a troll.

The fact that I don't think you are makes me sad about the world.
    There are mass killings in America, but a strangers bill makes you sad about the world?

You need to grow some thick skin.
  • I'll be the odd one out and say this:

Her miscalculations are on her. I wouldn't pay her. It's a WEEK later? Yeah, no. This can be her "lesson learned" to pay more attention next time. If you got an item you thought was on sale and then a week later the cashier called and said it wasn't, it was just a mistake, would you pay the full price? I wouldn't.

I don't think You are legally obligated to pay now. You paid what you thought was the right amount at the time of services rendered. Morally? Ehhhhh...Do you frequent there?

What would this world be like if everyone had your attitude?

If the salon owner had made an error in her own favor, do you think she should refund OP, even if OP  hadn't noticed? 

• But...this isn't about the government and taxes. Lol. Your logic doesn't work. There's no penalty for this. The owner can use this as a learning lesson and make sure she does due diligence in the future.

Part of being a small business owner means managing your company and customer service well. That's also how capitalism works. The owner failed to do both.

I'm sorry, but aren't we here to discuss what /people should do, both in terms of etiquette and just being a decent human being?

You can get away with being a dirtbag legally in a lot of instances, but that doesn't make it right. Just like here: she provided a service, therefore it's correct to pay for and tip on that service. Even if there's been an error, there's no ambiguity on whether or not the fee should be paid.

OP seems to agree with that, so why are you arguing otherwise?

• There was no written contract and she told me when she booked the appointments that she would see who should could get but she wasn't sure who it would be. I thought the price she gave was for a regular and maybe she had an intern that day, also the payment ran through to the owner and not the salon so i'm  a little worried that the girl who did the nails won't see any of the tip.

And they waited to call me till quite a few days latter which led to a lot of stress do to changes in employment status, with in that time.  I also tried fairly hard to make sure everyone got paid before I signed up for school cause I needed to know how much I had for classes, when you make minimum wage to sometimes are a little close on accounts then you'd like to be.  

Shes not a business I've ever used before, if she's been some one I knew well I would have just asked to pay her the next time I was in.  Also,  when I offered to mail them a check, I don't really use my credit card, they blamed it on being super busy, the were only 3 customers the entire time I was there, if your gonna ask me to correct you mistake at least own it. Finally they complained about me sending them the check not coming out and paying for the gas to get there, even though under state law i could have told them they were owed no more.  I was trying to make it right for them.

That's a verbal contract, and it's binding. She gave you a price and you agreed to pay. So yes, you are legally obliged to pay for what you received as well as morally.

It's shameful that the number of morally bankrupt people has gotten to the point that the law is even a question here. 

And how many times have we seen A user on this forum say "I had a verbal contract with my vendor and they changed things!" Virtually EVERY user responds with "you should have gotten a written contract! Now you know better."

The salon owner should have gotten a written contract. Now she will know better,
  • And how many times have we seen A user on this forum say "I had a verbal contract with my vendor and they changed things!" Virtually EVERY user responds with "you should have gotten a written contract! Now you know better." The salon owner should have gotten a written contract. Now she will know better,

Yep, we say there should be a written and signed contract with vendors so everyone is clear on the terms. If there are questions, either party can refer to the contract. If the vendor, or the bride, is a slimeball who decides not to honor the agreement, it's legally enforceable. I think OP is better than that.

• edited December 2015
    @banana468  You have a way with words ;)

• Heffalump said:

Your story just doesn't add up to anything other than 'I don't want to pay, tell me it's ok'

Yes!  It reminds of me of the letters to Dear Prudence that are basically "I know this is kind of shitty of me, but reasons; validate my bad decision even though I'm admitting it's a bad decision."

But...this isn't about the government and taxes. Lol. Your logic doesn't work. There's no penalty for this. The owner can use this as a learning lesson and make sure she does due diligence in the future.

I assume the bolded is in response to my comment, though it's hard to tell.  (Protip:  use the "quote" button when responding to specific replies.)  Go take a business law class sometime, and then:

httpsmedia0giphycommediaWXtccLGTLB1NS200_sgif
    Heffalump said:

Your story just doesn't add up to anything other than 'I don't want to pay, tell me it's ok'

Yes!  It reminds of me of the letters to Dear Prudence that are basically "I know this is kind of shitty of me, but reasons; validate my bad decision even though I'm admitting it's a bad decision."

I assume the bolded is in response to my comment, though it's hard to tell.  (Protip:  use the "quote" button when responding to specific replies.)  Go take a business law class sometime, and then:

The owner failed to charge the client for the service. That's business 101. Charge your client. Lol. You are struggling to grasp that concept, so I'm thinking you don't have a business degree, or even a college degree.

I'm standing in my rightness and it feels SO GOOD. Try and think logically, not emotionally. ;) that's a free tip for you, or else your business will go bankrupt.

OP, it is YOUR decision to pay. Don't pay if you don't feel like it. Don't let these women convince you otherwise

• Your story just doesn't add up to anything other than 'I don't want to pay, tell me it's ok'
    But...this isn't about the government and taxes. Lol. Your logic doesn't work. There's no penalty for this. The owner can use this as a learning lesson and make sure she does due diligence in the future. Part of being a small business owner means managing your company and customer service well. That's also how capitalism works. The owner failed to do both.

But...this isn't about the government and taxes. Lol. Your logic doesn't work. There's no penalty for this. The owner can use this as a learning lesson and make sure she does due diligence in the future. Part of being a small business owner means managing your company and customer service well. That's also how capitalism works. The owner failed to do both.

The owner failed to charge the client for the service. That's business 101. Charge your client. Lol. You are struggling to grasp that concept, so I'm thinking you don't have a business degree, or even a college degree. I'm standing in my rightness and it feels SO GOOD. Try and think logically, not emotionally. ;) that's a free tip for you, or else your business will go bankrupt. OP, it is YOUR decision to pay. Don't pay if you don't feel like it. Don't let these women convince you otherwise
     Please OP, continue being a moral vacuum, it's a boring Friday at work and you and Knottie#s lack of morals is highly amusing. I'm just hoping that neither of you ever run your own business in the future where you have to charge clients, lest a mistake ever be made. 

Ladies, you do you. You are the Speshulist of Snowflakes here.

PS. I miss being able to change fonts and colours can we pretend the above is purple and comic sans...Thanks!
  • @banana468  You have a way with words ;)
    What can I say - I'm just not a fan of trying to do things like this to "teach a lesson".   I'm a fan of people getting paid - especially small businesses. 

• Your story just doesn't add up to anything other than 'I don't want to pay, tell me it's ok'

The owner failed to charge the client for the service. That's business 101. Charge your client. Lol. You are struggling to grasp that concept, so I'm thinking you don't have a business degree, or even a college degree. I'm standing in my rightness and it feels SO GOOD. Try and think logically, not emotionally. ;) that's a free tip for you, or else your business will go bankrupt. OP, it is YOUR decision to pay. Don't pay if you don't feel like it. Don't let these women convince you otherwise
    I'm a commissioned sales person who has made quoting mistakes before.  Sometimes they are "I screwed this up and it's up to me to fix it."  One incident is like the scenario above and my customer knew he was undercharged.  I called him up, explained the mistake, he revised his PO within minutes.

As a salesperson, I worked hard to earn his business and thus his respect.  A customer who respects you and your business cares just as much about your company being financially healthy as any company cares about their customers ability to pay.

An unwillingness or attitude about paying the full amount quoted due to anything other than sub par service/product tells me that said person just wanted the cheapest product possible and doesn't understand the concept of value.

Please, tell us more about your experience as an executive, or anything that qualifies you to teach "Business 101".  It's Friday and I could use some entertainment.

OP, I think you know the right thing to do.  Pay for the services rendered and take this as a lesson in the future to be more careful about checking invoices you do pay for.  Knottie#s, you will not get far in work or life if you try to nickel and dime or capitalize on people's mistakes like that.  People catch on to that kind of behavior real quick and it reflects poorly on you.  You may think you're quite savvy running around teaching all these business lessons but the joke's on you in the long run. 
  • OP I feel you. If they didn't break out the services on the bill then how do you know they aren't trying to scam you right now?

I just switched hair salons. I am accustomed to paying over $150 to get my hair cut and highlighted. I went to a different salon and they charged me $60. I was ecstatic and gave the girl a huge tip (over 30%). However I never received a bill that broke out all of the services. If they subsequently called me and asked for more money because of their mistake I would not have paid it. IMO your salon needs to chalk this up to a mistake and change their processes going forward.

• If you do pay it, I would leave a review stating that they forgot to charge you the correct amount and later contacted you to pay. Don't get emotional, just state facts. I would not want to patronize a business that does this.
  • abl13 said:

OP I feel you. If they didn't break out the services on the bill then how do you know they aren't trying to scam you right now?

I just switched hair salons. I am accustomed to paying over $150 to get my hair cut and highlighted. I went to a different salon and they charged me $60. I was ecstatic and gave the girl a huge tip (over 30%). However I never received a bill that broke out all of the services. If they subsequently called me and asked for more money because of their mistake I would not have paid it. IMO your salon needs to chalk this up to a mistake and change their processes going forward.

Because they verbally agreed on a price before hand and the bill she received and paid was only $58.00 and not the total amount she was told and expected to pay.
  • My husband has been running his own business for 20+ years, and I have quite a few friends that do as well (plumbing, hair styling) and it makes me sick to think there are people out there who wouldn't do the right, moral thing. Knottie#s, your posts seem to lack any integrity. I certainly hope one day you don't make a similar mistake and have to deal with a person that has no morality or compassion. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards