Chit Chat

Clothes for young ladies?

I have two nieces, both size 0, 00!  They are law students in their 20s.  Where the heck do you buy clothes this small?  My department store only carries down to a size 4.
I am used to buying clothes for large people.  (Daughter is 6' tall.)  Help me, Knotties!
httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

Re: Clothes for young ladies?

• JCrew carries down to 000 in some of it's clothes. If you're looking to buy them work clothes, Theory is a go to brand for small women who are lawyers. The blog Extra Petite also has lots of suggestions.
  • Lord have mercy, I don't think I was even that size when I was born! ;)

Depends on what type of clothes you're looking for, but I know American Eagle sells 0 and 00. If you're looking for nicer professional clothes, New York and Company sells those sizes as well.

• These two young ladies are half Asian (India).  Maybe that explains it?  They are both really beautiful, but I am almost afraid to hug them, for fear they might break in two!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I was going to suggest NY&Company too.  I buy my work pants there but keep in mind that their average length is on the long side.  I am 5'5" and their average length pants are perfect when paired with my 2.5-3" heels.  I buy their petite pants when I want to wear flats, but do not notice much difference in sizing (around the waist and such) between average and petite.

• Express, American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, Hollister, the Limited, Ann Taylor, White House Black Market, Banana Republic

• levioosa said:
    Express, American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, Hollister, the Limited, Ann Taylor, White House Black Market, Banana Republic
    Those would not be my goto places to shop for professional, law office attire.

@cmgragain, are you looking to buy them clothing they can wear to work, or just slubbing around on the weekends clothing?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Oh, and if they are petite/very short I would definitely buy the petite option if offered.  For a long time I was 95-100 pounds (I'm 5'1") and even the XXS stuff didn't fit me right because it wasn't made for petite people.  Like, how many people can possibly be 00 and 5'9?  Express and American Eagle pants in the "short" size fit me perfectly, otherwise I'm hemming my pants.

• levioosa said:
    Express, American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, Hollister, the Limited, Ann Taylor, White House Black Market, Banana Republic
    Those would not be my goto places to shop for professional, law office attire.

@cmgragain, are you looking to buy them clothing they can wear to work, or just slubbing around on the weekends clothing?
    Oops, sorry, missed that part.  I was just speaking for general clothing sizes.  Yeah, definitely steer away from those places for professional attire.  

• Lots of stores like PPs mentioned do....but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask their H's where they normally shop if you don't know already? I have several friends with very loving, well-meaning MILs who send them clothes or clothing gift cards each year that they can't use because they don't fit, they don't shop at those stores, not their style, etc.

FWIW, I loved the work pants at NY&Co, I always found great blouses and dresses at The Limited, and Banana Republic has lots of great work outfits as well. My mom (another extremely tiny person) has had a ton of luck with Ann Taylor/Ann Taylor Loft's petite sizing but I haven't been loving their clothes much lately.

• How about H&M?  Not sure if you have that in your area, but their stuff tends to be on the smaller side since it's a European company.  They have a "professional" section.  

Both Ann Taylor and LOFT have pretty sizeable petite sections.  JC Penney does as well.  

Also maybe Forever 21 has some options... I don't go in there but my guess is they'd have smaller sizes.  

Married 9.12.15
  • labro said:
    Lots of stores like PPs mentioned do....but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask their H's where they normally shop if you don't know already? I have several friends with very loving, well-meaning MILs who send them clothes or clothing gift cards each year that they can't use because they don't fit, they don't shop at those stores, not their style, etc.

FWIW, I loved the work pants at NY&Co, I always found great blouses and dresses at The Limited, and Banana Republic has lots of great work outfits as well. My mom (another extremely tiny person) has had a ton of luck with Ann Taylor/Ann Taylor Loft's petite sizing but I haven't been loving their clothes much lately.
    Ditto.  I used to love shopping at Ann Taylor Loft, but now their clothes are just so blah and baggy.  

• @Maggie0829 Same. I go in there and end up disappointed and empty handed more often than not. I feel like they started their Lou & Grey line and everything else got baggy and blah at the same time...and sometimes flat out weird.

• I'm petite. For professional clothing my go-to is White House Black Market. Ann Taylor also fits perfectly and hasn't gotten as casual as LOFT has lately. 
    Since they're in their early 20's I'll also mention Express. That's where I shopped at that age, but the quality isn't as good as WHBM. 

• I am a lawyer who wears a size 0.  Most of my suits and whatnot are from Ann Taylor and Banana Republic.  I would look there.  Both have petite options if they are shorter.  Good luck!
  • I'd get them a gift card rather than buying the clothes.  Or something cute and fairly neutral, like a cardigan (if you want to give something physical), with a gift card.  I find it difficult to shop for myself and must try on everything before I buy - every store/brand I can wear a different size - so I find it hard to shop for clothes for another adult.  And if you insist on clothes, don't forget to include a gift receipt!
  • The only thing I really like at Loft is their pants.  Their "Julie" cut (haha) fits me so super well and it's so hard to find pants for a 28" inseam.  Their petites are still too long to wear with flats but are perfect with lower heels.
    Married 9.12.15
  • I was a petite 0 prior to blowing up from my treatments. I shopped almost exclusively at J. Crew, Banana Republic, and Ann Taylor. Still do, actually.

• Thank you, ladies!  You were a great help.  This is not a big city, but there is an American Eagle at our tiny mall.  I found some casual tops that looked nice.  Next year I will look at the other stores on line that you suggested.  Yes, I got gift receipts!  Thank you all!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • labro said:
    @Maggie0829 Same. I go in there and end up disappointed and empty handed more often than not. I feel like they started their Lou & Grey line and everything else got baggy and blah at the same time...and sometimes flat out weird.
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one who's not been loving LOFT lately. I've been so unimpressed with their collections for the last year or so, normally I have to limit myself on what I buy from there. They were purchased by Dress Barn so maybe that has something to do with the drastic style changes?
  • I think it is the styles this year.  Colors are boring.  Nothing flatters me.  I haven't bought anything new this year except for basic pants because I have changed sizes.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards