Registry and Gift Forum

watch your gifts especially cards!!!

I was just married on Saturday. We had a small wedding and reception (25 people). My husbands side of the family handed us cards with cash and gift cards. After everyone left we set them down for a minute and they were stolen. There was a very large sum of cash from my father-in-law, and several gift cards. And despite popular belief, you can't cancel gift cards or track their use unless you have the pin codes from the back (we never even had a chance to open the cards). So put someone in charge of cards and put them away in a hotel safe. The hotel, Atlanta Evergreen Marriott Resort in Stone Mountain, GA refuses to do anything other than pay for our breakfast. We know it wasn't our guests because the cards were there when everyone left. The only people around after were hotel staff and a drunken couple that wondered down to the room we were in. It's very sad. The moral of the story is to not to trust anyone because there are scumbags out there that would steal a newlyweds money.

Re: watch your gifts especially cards!!!

• Did you report this to the police? Also, the Marriott has got to have security cameras. This same thing happened to someone I know and they were able to catch the guy on camera.
  • We did report it to the police. The Marriott was going to file an insurance claim but they refused saying it wasn't their responsibility. They also claim to have no cameras. I'm sure if someone had a slip and fall accident there, they would magically have cameras.
  • We did report it to the police. The Marriott was going to file an insurance claim but they refused saying it wasn't their responsibility. They also claim to have no cameras. I'm sure if someone had a slip and fall accident there, they would magically have cameras.
    I really find it hard to believe that a hotel has no cameras. I would contact the police about that as well. 
  • I've worked for Marriott (not that location).  While I wouldn't find it odd they do not have cameras in the ball rooms, I do find it odd not have cameras in the hallways.

As far as responsibility, I'm sure your contract says they are not libel.  I kind-of get it.   There is no real way to prove what was in the cards.    

However, I'm really surprised they are not at least helping to see what happened.     When  I worked there we would try and get to the bottom of the situation.  That included looking at video footage, reading key entrances, stuff like that.   They didn't always produce the results the guests wanted, but we tired. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Also, go up the chain at Marriott.  Maybe you aren't having any luck with that location, so go up to the corporate level.  Also, contact someone at your local news station.  The bad publicity from this may stir the Marriott to file the insurance claim or check their cameras.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

• It's a real shame, but this is the state of the world we live in. Most people will tell you to keep your gift table and a spot for cards within the reception area and to have someone move at least the cards to a secure location early in the night. (Our DOC moved our card box to my dad's trunk during dinner.) 

I'm glad you reported it to the police, but DeKalb County is pretty useless. As a guest, this is why I prefer to write a check and/or ship the gift to the couple instead of bringing it to the wedding, but that doesn't help you. I hope you can move up the Marriott chain and at least get someone to try to investigate or file an insurance claim. 
  • I am so sorry this happened to you!  That is truly awful.  I've heard from multiple friends that had their weddings at hotels report similar problems- missing cards/gifts, wedding crashers, and easier for unwanted guests to slip in.

Terrible that you experienced this, but lesson learned- cannot trust anyone these days.  What a shame.
  • Knottie1447172022, this thread had been dead since December.  It's generally not well received to resurrect a post like this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards