May 2016 Weddings

where has the time gone?

I just realized that I'm halfway through my engagement and I have a LOT of work to do! I haven't been able to nail down exactly what I want for centerpieces yet...do I want flowers or not? Lanterns? I'm not sure where to start or how to pick just 1 thing! And it doesn't help that all of a sudden I can't get on Pinterest at work anymore! I just bought the beads to make my own belts for the bridesmaids and I will definitely get at least one of them to help me with that process. We need to talk to our pastor to see if he's on board...(I realize we should've already done that but he's new and we wanted to let him get settled in and get to know him) My mom wants a guest list for the shower she's throwing me in January, and I still need to find shirts for the groomsmen, ring bearers, and my dad. I've been pretty cool and collected up until now...but last night I got very overwhelmed with the fact that I only have 5 more months! Anyone else with me?

Re: where has the time gone?

• I feel pretty on track right now but I did have a moment of realization yesterday that I was exactly 5 months out and shit is about to get real.  My big to-do's this month are to find a baker for our cupcakes, set up a meeting with our officiant, schedule my hair and make-up trial and finalize our honeymoon plans.  Next month I am probably going to have a melt down while waiting for my FMIL to give me the last of her addresses for invites.  

@futuremrsschmidt0514 once you get pinterest to work post some photos of what you are thinking for the centerpieces.  what is the venue like?  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • laurad75 said:
    I did have a moment of realization yesterday that I was exactly 5 months out and shit is about to get real.
    Seriously, I know that once the holidays are over time is going to fly. All those to-do's are going to become do it nows lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @laurad75 our venue is an old barn...ceremony outside at a gazebo overlooking the lake. I think we have the outside stuff pretty locked down...reception is in a big beautiful barn. my mom works for my florist so she is letting us use her linens which are white and she has some burlap runners that I might use. I'm going to have tie-dye orchids in my bouquet and I really like how those look submerged so I might do something like that. The venue doesn't allow open flame so any real candles are out which is ok with me.  I won't have any baby's breath like in the one picture but I like that look just add the orchids.

Last night my FI asked me if we were behind or if we were on track because we haven't talked much about it lately and I think we're doing ok. I know that if I don't get started on some of the details now I'll be in trouble later!

• I love the look of that centerpiece on the left and it would be gorgeous with orchids.  Perfect for that venue!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it fits really well too! And the cost is pretty low other than the orchids but the florist is giving us a discount so in keeping everything else on the lower side will allow us to have the pricier flowers!

• I think Christmas was my "Where has the time gone" moment... only 124 days left (As of today) of a 19 month engagement. I definitely had a few emotional days where I was feeling like I squandered away all that time. 

While I'm still stressed out about a couple big checkmarks we still need to get done (florist, cake, transport), I try to look at the far bigger list of things that are already done, and that makes me really happy! 

It sounds like the one on the left will fit your venue really well :) 

I totally know that overwhelming feeling... I just try and focusing on how much we've already accomplished !
  • As of today I have been engaged for 6 months!! WHAAAT?? That blows my mind! We're 4 months out! I agree @HedgehogMama2016 Christmas took forever to get here and then the other night I was organizing my "wedding bag" and realized that I have a LOT to do! I honestly forgot about the cake! We live out in the middle of nowhere in a little Amish tourist town and I'm not even sure where the nearest bakery is! Obviously we have lots of bakeries but they're mostly pies and donuts not cake! So that's one of our biggies left...also we're doing our own music so making a playlist is daunting...

I like the idea of focusing on what we've already done. I went a little crazy right when we first got engaged but now I'm glad that I did!

• As of today I have been engaged for 6 months!! WHAAAT?? That blows my mind! We're 4 months out! I agree @HedgehogMama2016 Christmas took forever to get here and then the other night I was organizing my "wedding bag" and realized that I have a LOT to do! I honestly forgot about the cake! We live out in the middle of nowhere in a little Amish tourist town and I'm not even sure where the nearest bakery is! Obviously we have lots of bakeries but they're mostly pies and donuts not cake! So that's one of our biggies left...also we're doing our own music so making a playlist is daunting...

I like the idea of focusing on what we've already done. I went a little crazy right when we first got engaged but now I'm glad that I did!

OMG get donuts instead of a cake.  That sounds amazing.  :-)  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That does sound pretty great but I think the plan is to do just a small cake for us to cut and take home and then do either sheet cakes or cupcakes for all the guests!
  • That does sound pretty great but I think the plan is to do just a small cake for us to cut and take home and then do either sheet cakes or cupcakes for all the guests!
    We are doing mini-cupcakes.  Its significantly more affordable than a big fancy cake and way more our style.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • laurad75 said:
    That does sound pretty great but I think the plan is to do just a small cake for us to cut and take home and then do either sheet cakes or cupcakes for all the guests!
    We are doing mini-cupcakes.  Its significantly more affordable than a big fancy cake and way more our style.  
    Agreed! It's also nice because it saves you from having to designate a cake cutter.
  • New Year's was my moment. At around 12:00:05 I realized I get to marry him this year and started crying mid-kiss. *mess* And then a week later I realized it was exactly 4 months for us, and EEK. So now I'm doing ALL THE THINGS.

We sent our Save-the-Dates in December, a little on the late side but whatever. I should be getting my invitation proofs in the mail today, my bridesmaids gifts are here, I bought beads to make my own bracelet, I have my shoes, we booked the caterer in December who also happens to do linens and decor, I'm in discussion with a baker, we scheduled our (required) pre-marital counseling sessions with our officiant, the florist is booked, and I ordered my earrings and hair thingy.

I booked with a salon, but haven't done the consultation or trial yet, and I likewise booked with a seamstress but haven't scheduled any fittings yet. I picked my wedding band and have an idea on Tom's, but haven't purchased them yet. Our honeymoon is all completely booked and waiting for us.

I think the big outstandings are music (we're DIYing, but we've been lazy about it) and my underpinnings. Tom hasn't looked at tuxes yet, but insists he doesn't need as much time as The Knot suggests. I'll start pestering him around mid-February.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards