Registry and Gift Forum

Donations towards our savings for a car: Advice?

tigerlily6tigerlily6 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited December 2015 in Registry and Gift Forum
I have been wrestling with what the best etiquette is for setting up our registry. 

My fiance and I are both graduate students in our late 20s living on very tight budgets (our parents are graciously and gratefully helping fund most of the rehearsal, ceremony, and reception -- rings, invitations and announcements, engagement photos, gifts for wedding party & parents, and honeymoon are on us).

Between the two of us, we have pretty much all the appliances/ household items we need. We only have his one car, however, and it is pretty old, raggedy, and is constantly suffering from mechanical problems-- we only drive it in town, because it has enough issues that driving it long-distance seems a great risk (we rent if we need to go out of town). 

I am in law school and will need to be able to commute about 40 miles round-trip this summer for an internship. So getting a new (used) car for a few thousand dollars is definitely something we need, and we have been doing our best to make a small savings fund for it, but it has been slow going since we have also been saving for certain things wedding-related (see above).

I am thinking we should still set up a traditional registry with some items so guests can opt for those if they prefer, but the most meaningful way they could support us as a new couple would be donations to help towards our savings for a new car. What is the best way to politely recommend this to guests/ make them aware of this option? 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Donations towards our savings for a car: Advice?

• I have been wrestling with what the best etiquette is for setting up our registry. 

My fiance and I are both graduate students in our late 20s living on very tight budgets (our parents are graciously and gratefully helping fund most of the rehearsal, ceremony, and reception -- rings, invitations and announcements, engagement photos, gifts for wedding party & parents, and honeymoon are on us).

Between the two of us, we have pretty much all the appliances/ household items we need. We only have his one car, however, and it is pretty old, raggedy, and is constantly suffering from mechanical problems-- we only drive it in town, because it has enough issues that driving it long-distance seems a great risk (we rent if we need to go out of town). 

I am in law school and will need to be able to commute about 40 miles round-trip this summer for an internship. So getting a new (used) car for a few thousand dollars is definitely something we need, and we have been doing our best to make a small savings fund for it, but it has been slow going since we have also been saving for certain things wedding-related (see above).

I am thinking we should still set up a traditional registry with some items so guests can opt for those if they prefer, but the most meaningful way they could support us as a new couple would be donations to help towards our savings for a new car. What is the best way to politely recommend this to guests/ make them aware of this option? 
    Tell your parents and Best Man/Maid of Honor that if anybody asks, you didn't register because you don't need 'things', but you are saving for a new car.  Never bring it up unless someone asks.  And do not, under any circumstances, register for money.
  • H and I are also in our 20s and he is a graduate student. We registered for what we needed/would like, but it wasn't much. People bought stuff off the registries, other gave us cash, others gave us nothing. Not once did we ever mention "we don't need stuff but we need a house so money's cool kthanks". We were so grateful for what people gave us and it all worked out in the end, without being rude and mentioning we wanted cash.
  • tigerlily6tigerlily6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2015
     :) 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards