Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Skipping Dancing

My fiancé and I are having an early afternoon cake and punch reception on our wedding day. We aren't big on dancing and plan to skip this tradition all together.

Any suggestions on other fun activities for guests to partake in possibly between the ceremony and reception? It's all on the same site and there will only be a one hour gap for our photographer to work with us and for guests to snack on the food provided.

While I'm sure they will all be just as happy to mingle and spend time together, any additional ideas are welcome. I was thinking a photo booth and custom corn-hole boards, as these things are very popular within our circle.

Re: Skipping Dancing

• I think as long as the hour is hosted, (food and beverage), anything else you do is extra. A photo booth is usually a big hit and games like corn-hole are usually a know your crowd thing, if you think your group would like it then go for it!

One questions, is the cocktail hour outside or inside? If it's supposed to be outside do you have an indoor plan and does it have enough space for lawn games like corn hole?
  • We had dancing, but many people chose to hang out and chat, stroll the pretty outdoor area around the reception, and play the corn-hole boards that the venue had set up next to the pavilion instead. I doubt anyone would have cared if we just had music and no dancing space. Honestly most people are going to want to make sure they get a chance to chat with you, especially if there are people on one side who have not yet met the other spouse. You might find that there isn't a whole lot of time for dancing.

What about a couple of oversized game sets (Jenga/Checkers/Chess)? Photo booths are lots of fun if it is within your budget.

You are required to properly host your guests with time-appropriate refreshments, which it sounds like you are doing. Dancing is not a requirement. Enjoy!
  • We had dancing, but many people chose to hang out and chat, stroll the pretty outdoor area around the reception, and play the corn-hole boards that the venue had set up next to the pavilion instead. I doubt anyone would have cared if we just had music and no dancing space. Honestly most people are going to want to make sure they get a chance to chat with you, especially if there are people on one side who have not yet met the other spouse. You might find that there isn't a whole lot of time for dancing.

What about a couple of oversized game sets (Jenga/Checkers/Chess)? Photo booths are lots of fun if it is within your budget.

You are required to properly host your guests with time-appropriate refreshments, which it sounds like you are doing. Dancing is not a requirement. Enjoy!
    Agree with this! I would suggest a variety of lawn games, but just remember, think of how many regular ole parties you attend where mingling is the only activity. And it's fun! Don't stress about it. 

• Dancing is unusual at a cake and punch reception.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We had a morning wedding and lunch reception with no dancing. We did have a string trio for music, but we didn't worry about having anything to "replace" the dancing, and everyone had a nice time. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I attended a wedding over the summer that had no dancing. They had the oversized lawn games, lots of wine and great food. No one missed the dancing!

• I've never actually attended a cake and punch reception, but I assume it would be like the equivalent of a slightly longer cocktail hour? I always have a great time at cocktail hour just chatting and mingling so I don't think you need to worry about 'replacing' dancing. That being said, a photobooth is always a welcome addition in my book!

• Does anyone know where to get chalk photo booth backdrops or custom corn hole boards?

I think this is what we'll be sticking with!
  • If you and/or your FI are good at DIY, it's pretty simple to make your own cornhole boards.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards