Budget Weddings Forum

Starting over

Fi's truck shit the bed, $1500 "repair" made it worse, then he got sick...like almost needed surgery, DR still wants him to consider surgery, MY 2ND job starting date got,pushed back a month and the OT at my 1st job dried up. We had a long talk and realized we cannot afford the wedding We planned. I'll have to eat the cost of STD s that were going out next month, we are looking for a new venue and I think I found something great (getting married outdoors is important to do and myself) found out Schlotskys caters for not a whole lot, luckily the Photographer and DJ were booked from the same company and I was able to cancel the DJ and move that deposit to the Photographer. We are losing some money on the venue, but they just couldn't accolade in a way we were comfortable ( private after hours park wedding vs open to the public anyone can mill about strangers everywhere wedding) I'm just hoping the venue I spoke to is open for my date, it's a Thursday so,hopefully.... I just need to vent a bit. Now I need to be on the lookout for inexpensive linens and invites...but I'm saving about $4000

Re: Starting over

• Sorry to hear you're going through all of that! Glad you're able to move some deposits and find a new venue that allows you to keep what you want for the ceremony. No real advice, just a real hope that things get better for you and your FI.
  • Thanks, I don't even know if I'm looking for advise, I can't talk to my family without them thinking I'm looking for money. I'm ok FI's Ok, I'm just bummed out.
  • If it helps, I bought my linens on www.smartyhadaparty.com.  24 rectangle 60x126 cloths were a bit over $200, even after shipping.  I haven't had any luck selling them but that's cause they're an odd color (chocolate brown).  If you do ivory or white, you can resell in a heartbeat.   
    Married 9.12.15
  • Here's hoping things begin to look up for you two soon OP! 

Sam's Club is really good with their linen prices but there are also some great linen places online (Tablecloth World was another place I've gotten items from) if you've got time to wait for shipping..  That's where I Purchased mine and have used them many times over the years.  It's a horse apiece when it comes to linens.  If you have no use for them in the future, just rent them from your caterer but if you do have a use for them, choose neutral colors (White, ivory, black) that work for any type of event..  Owning them does come with a cost of washing them as well as storage space, so you may want to factor that in to your decision - white is easiest to clean because you can toss in some bleach to reduce/eliminate stains.. 

As for invites - really - imagine all but 10 are going into the trash can, they aren't something you have to spend much at all on to get the job done.  Two brothers of mine printed out their invites on 8.5x11 sheets, one did a fold the other just a sheet - and both only needed a first-class stamp to send (which - the cost of postage can add up!)...  The DIY invite kits on the clearance aisle at the office supply store or Wal-mart are perfectly fine!  ~$10 for 25 invites and enclosures is the way to go! 

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    Good for you,@softkittywarmkitty!  I'm sure your wedding will be beautiful!  So many brides forget that weddings are really about the two of you becoming a married couple, not an expensive party.
    Other suggestions:  a decorated sheet cake from Sam's Club, or the grocery store.  Simple flowers, tied with a ribbon.  Grocery stores can do this, too!
    I don't know if you have your dress, yet, but my sister borrowed hers from a friend!  It was beautiful!  Nobody knew or cared.
    Use Ipod music.
    The photography really IS important, IMHO, and you have that covered.
    I hope you have a great time at your wedding!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Good for you,@softkittywarmkitty!  I'm sure your wedding will be beautiful!  So many brides forget that weddings are really about the two of you becoming a married couple, not an expensive party.
    Other suggestions:  a decorated sheet cake from Sam's Club, or the grocery store.  Simple flowers, tied with a ribbon.  Grocery stores can do this, too!
    I don't know if you have your dress, yet, but my sister borrowed hers from a friend!  It was beautiful!  Nobody knew or cared.
    Use Ipod music.
    The photography really IS important, IMHO, and you have that covered.
    I hope you have a great time at your wedding!

Sam's actually does tier cakes too!  The one challenge though is that they don't deliver so whomever picks it up and delivers it really needs a bit of knowledge of how to transport cakes...

• I'm sorry to hear you guys have been going through such a rough time. Kudos to you, though, for making the difficult decision to scale back when you realized your plans were out of your budget. Your wedding will be beautiful, I am sure of it!

• Sorry to hear that @softkittywarmkitty. I know it's not the same but my Dad has PTSD from his career in the military, just know you're not alone in this. I hope your taking time to care for yourself as well as your FI. It's a long, difficult process, and I really do wish you both the best.

For what it's worth I think a small, private ceremony on a beach sounds amazing.
  • Best of luck to you @softkittywarmkitty , I hope your FI finds what he needs, and you find what you need to take care of yourself during all this as well, like charlotte mentioned. 
  • Thoughts andprayers are with you both.  Please keep in touch.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Sorry to hear things are not going exactly as you had hoped. But I am glad to see you are prioritizing your fiancees health and realize what a marriage really is.

I am sure whenever, and wherever you get married will be beautiful!! 
  • Best of luck to you, and vibes that everything works out for the best!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • So sorry you're having such a run of awful luck! It never rains but it pours, right? It sounds like you've got a healthy perspective on this. Your FI's mental health is so much more important than one day, like you say. Its great that you are able to give him the time and support that he needs. Like others have said, I hope you can find the time to look after yourself too as that is also important.

Your intimate beach wedding sounds bloody brilliant if you ask me!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards