Getting in Shape

New Year's goals/resolutions

JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited December 2015 in Getting in Shape
It's almost that time of year!  Does anyone have any specific goals or resolutions for 2016?  

Currently, I'm down 20 lbs, solely by watching what and how much I eat over the past 4 months.  I've struggled with some issues with my foot bothering me (found out recently it's a stress fracture that will never heal), so haven't been terribly active.  I'm getting a custom shoe insert and plan to hit the treadmill for at least 30 min most of the days.

I also want to get back to the gym to use the weight machines - I found in the past that makes a tremendous difference, even when the scale doesn't move.

And for the first time in quite some time, I am watching what I eat during the holidays and not overindulging.  Usually, I give up and say ahhh, I'll start again in Jan - but as the scale ticks down, my motivation hasn't budged.  I also think it helps that I've been doing good the past few month - so I've settled into good routines.  I am still tempted by all the goodies, but trying to have in moderation.  I'd like to lose 20 more pounds.

Anyone else working toward specific goals?  Any tips to survive the next few weeks?

Re: New Year's goals/resolutions

• @JoanE2012

I want to get out of the habit of snacking when bored which will end up helping me lose weight. The only issue I see with that is DH and I are TTC so IF we succeed, I may have to wait until later in the year to start snacking less haha.
  • @JoanE2012, Good for you for staying on track despite your stress fracture and the holiday season! I do the same thing you used to do; giving up at Thanksgiving and promising to start healthy habits in January.  I am using your example as motivation to not fall under that trap this year.  I kicked butt this summer and early fall (30 pounds gone so far!), but a week before Turkey Day, I made bad decisions and haven't bounced back.  

My goal is the same as yours, enjoy everything in moderation and get back to weight training and walking!

My tips: track what you eat, drink a lot of water, and if I haven't worked out, I force myself to do push-ups, triceps, sit ups and planking while I watch TV.

@hlvonb, Snacking when I'm bored is a pitfall for me; I force myself to have a glass of water or green tea before I snack; that way I can tell if I am really hungry or not.

If either of you have any tips of your own, please share, because I could use some new ones!  
  • @Moppet82

I have tried water and milk. I can't stand green tea. I still find myself snacking on original flavor potato chips dipped in french onion dip. Yummy!
  • @hlvonb - I snack when I'm bored too!  Lately, I've really tried to make a conscious effort to ask myself, "am I really hungry"?  Most times I'm not, and I don't reach for the snack.  If I want a little something just to have a sweet treat, I have a sugar free hard candy or two.
  • hlvonb said:
    @Moppet82

I have tried water and milk. I can't stand green tea. I still find myself snacking on original flavor potato chips dipped in french onion dip. Yummy!
    Mmmm....french onion dip.

• I desperately need to drink more water!!! I know this and I tell myself every day, but I never do it. I always notice a direct effect when I drink more or drink less. 
  • Not taking seconds, making homemade lunches the night before, and exercising more regularly. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Not taking seconds, making homemade lunches the night before, and exercising more regularly. 
    I think making homemade lunches is a huge help!  No temptations to eat crap from the cafeteria or ordering/going out.  Also helps save lots of money too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards