Wedding Reception Forum

Candles to go with Centerpieces Worth It?

I'm starting to think about the little details now for the reception and I am just wondering if anyone feels like votive candles are worth the extra money and effort? I know they can add to the ambiance but I am also going to have uplights and flowers as centerpieces - gold vases and half short, half tall. Thanks! :)  

Re: Candles to go with Centerpieces Worth It?

• I was going to do candles with the centerpieces and then our venue said they had some and could put them out for us so we agreed to that. Honestly I couldn't tell you now if they even did, I didn't notice. I'll have to look through our wedding photos when we get them back and see if I see any! 

I think candles can add a lot to centerpieces but we also had uplighting and I think that is what set the mood rather than the candles. You could see if your venue has any of that stuff too. Ours had a couple of different colors of table cloths/napkins, candles, table numbers, mirrors, and a large easel for our chalkboard program. Every time I thought of something I needed I asked if they had it and they did. Some of the things like the easel I felt stupid for asking for it but figured worst case they'd just say no and it was relieving that they did have it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was going to do candles with the centerpieces and then our venue said they had some and could put them out for us so we agreed to that. Honestly I couldn't tell you now if they even did, I didn't notice. I'll have to look through our wedding photos when we get them back and see if I see any! 

I think candles can add a lot to centerpieces but we also had uplighting and I think that is what set the mood rather than the candles. You could see if your venue has any of that stuff too. Ours had a couple of different colors of table cloths/napkins, candles, table numbers, mirrors, and a large easel for our chalkboard program. Every time I thought of something I needed I asked if they had it and they did. Some of the things like the easel I felt stupid for asking for it but figured worst case they'd just say no and it was relieving that they did have it.

I asked 2 of my married friends and they couldn't remember if they had them either! haha..I figure if you cant remember then maybe its not worth the hassle. I did ask my venue and they don't have any :( They only have large candle holders in a color that doesn't go with my colors at all. I can rent them from my florist though. But I will ask my venue about other things as they come up. Thanks for the idea!

I asked 2 of my married friends and they couldn't remember if they had them either! haha..I figure if you cant remember then maybe its not worth the hassle. I did ask my venue and they don't have any :( They only have large candle holders in a color that doesn't go with my colors at all. I can rent them from my florist though. But I will ask my venue about other things as they come up. Thanks for the idea!
    This is the BEST attitude to have.  :)
  • wow. come to think of it I don't remember either. I know we had a ton of candles that had been lent to us, but I didn't notice.

Definitely don't buy, but ask around if you can borrow.

• TNDancer said:

wow. come to think of it I don't remember either. I know we had a ton of candles that had been lent to us, but I didn't notice.

Definitely don't buy, but ask around if you can borrow.

I was going to do candles with the centerpieces and then our venue said they had some and could put them out for us so we agreed to that. Honestly I couldn't tell you now if they even did, I didn't notice. I'll have to look through our wedding photos when we get them back and see if I see any! 

This is the BEST attitude to have.  :)

Thank you @holyguacamole79 and @TNdancer!! That helps a lot! :)
  • We had votives and flowers as the centerpieces at my daughter's wedding. We didn't have uplights though. It added a lot to the ambience
  • We had candles set on a large square mirror with a large vase that held a floating (fake) flower with stones at the bottom of the vase as centerpieces. No additional flowers, no up lighting. 

So with the room lights dimmed, the candles were nice. 

But it's entirely up to you. 

I will agree with the sentiment of "if you can't remember it probably isn't important". There are so many things I spent time thinking about the details that I now cannot remember! Fortunately the above centerpieces came from the venue, so when they showed me a few ideas DH and I picked the couple of items we liked best- and done! But I remember telling our baker about this cupcake design I wanted for the icing- can't remember if that's actually what she did on them- but I do remember eating them ;)
  • I like candles... I constantly have two or three lit when we are home watching movies or something.  So to me it matters.  My neighbor just got married and suggested buying all candles at IKEA.  She said they were MUCH cheaper than anywhere else, including from any vendors.  This is what I plan to do.
  • I like candles... I constantly have two or three lit when we are home watching movies or something.  So to me it matters.  My neighbor just got married and suggested buying all candles at IKEA.  She said they were MUCH cheaper than anywhere else, including from any vendors.  This is what I plan to do.
    For my daughter's wedding we purchased candles online at Candles4less and 100candles.com.  Their prices were very good.  We were able to find long burning votive candles and color specific candles.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards