Wedding Reception Forum

Reception venue

edited December 2015 in Wedding Reception Forum
we are trying to make a decision on the reception venue. There is no different in price between venue two and three pictures. we love all three and trying to make a decision by January. the last two  picture are venue three. How did you decide?

This is the ceremony site
Photography Amanda Sudimack  Artisan Events   wwwartisaneventscom   View more httpstylemeprettycomvaultgallery21860

Re: Reception venue

• Do you have indoor options if you go with the outdoor terrace venues?  Is the first one on the river in Chicago?  The space looks crowded with that amount of guests.

When is your wedding? 
  • My vote would be 2 or 3, 1 looks way too crowded and since you didn't include a photo of their indoor option in case of bad weather it was disqualified from my choices. 
  • edited December 2015
    1.  You'll need an indoor alternative and from my experience the restaurants off of the river are fairly small and you didn't say how many guests. 

2.  Is beautiful and seems larger when looking at the second photo.  ETA 2 is my vote.

3.  Looks like the Wit.  My company hosts a party there annually and while it's nice, I'm never blown away by the food or service and in Chicago you need to bring it, IMO.
  • I agree #1 looks crowded, so I vote for #2 or #3. Kimmi's input about #3, if it is the Wit, should definitely be taken into consideration when making your choice. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Pass on #1, unless it also comes with an indoor option for weather and you're having only half the amount of guests in that photo.  I've been to weddings where the seating was that tight.  It was miserable.  It felt claustrophobic and the catering staff couldn't get through past the first tables without making guests stand up to make room so it was a game of stand up/sit down all through dinner to let them through and dinner was cold by the time we got it and the entire thing took about 3 times longer than planned.

I'd say #2 probably.
  • #1 definitely looks too crowded.  Even #2 appears a bit crowded (especially filled with people and chairs pushed back - will there be room to pass?)  I think my answer would be dependent on how many people you will have and how the room will be setup.  #3 looks to be the most comfortable fit - but Kimmi's comment about the food would worry me.
  • I like the 3rd one down.    With the big windows it gives you the inside/outside feel.  But if it is the Wit, then take Kimmi's comments into consideration.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'd choose 2 or 3. The others don't look like there is enough room.
  • There is a option option i will see if i can find a picture of it the patio holds 240 people as well as the indoor space.
  • Number 3 is not the wilt is is the Wynham hotel on the river. I think number two is big enough here is another picture of the space

The patio  restaurant is a large space here is another view of it and the inside space

• edited December 2015
    The rooftop space is the one that looks like the Wit.

ETA the Wynham was my vote based on photos and information provided.

My new concern for the indoor/outdoor space is the view for people on the other side of that column.  I worked a wedding recently where half of the guests stood for the toast, spotlight dances etc because there were columns obstructing their view.

• I vote number two,  That ceiling is spectacular!  Number 3 is my second choice.
  • #2 is gorgeous, but I'm a sucker for the view at the Wyndham. Cocktail hour on an outdoor terrace would be awesome.

• Base your decision on the number of guests the room can comfortably hold, the quality of the food (have you gone for tastings?), service offered, and the vibe you are going for for the day. 

#2 is absolutely gorgeous, but it is also a much different style than any of the other 3 venues. 

When venues give you the max room capacity, that is usually quite "cozy". You should also ask where do tables usually go. At our venue, the max capacity number would include tables placed on the dance floor that would have to be moved later- I didn't like that. Fortunately we were well under that number. 

Similarly, since it sounds like these venues are in a downtown city- think about things such as transportation, parking and accessibility. 

• Yes, when they say max capacity, that means like, standing room only.  My venue said they had a max of 200, and we had 130 people and it was pretty tight once a dance floor was added in.  

As for your options, I love #2, it just looks the prettiest.  The indoor area of #1 is not that attractive and looks dated.  Considering they're all the same price, go for the prettiest.  Also since it's at a hotel, that makes it easier for out of town guests, and they probably have plenty of accomodations for parking etc.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Yes, when they say max capacity, that means like, standing room only.  My venue said they had a max of 200, and we had 130 people and it was pretty tight once a dance floor was added in.  

As for your options, I love #2, it just looks the prettiest.  The indoor area of #1 is not that attractive and looks dated.  Considering they're all the same price, go for the prettiest.  Also since it's at a hotel, that makes it easier for out of town guests, and they probably have plenty of accomodations for parking etc.  
    Agreed. I know it's not the biggest deal in the world, but those patchwork chairs inside are hideous. I'd go with the hotel option, too. It just makes everything easier for your guests, particularly if they're not used to driving in the city, or if they're flying in.
  • MobKaz said:
    Do you have indoor options if you go with the outdoor terrace venues?  Is the first one on the river in Chicago?  The space looks crowded with that amount of guests.

When is your wedding? 
    wedding is May 28th
  • MobKaz said:
    Do you have indoor options if you go with the outdoor terrace venues?  Is the first one on the river in Chicago?  The space looks crowded with that amount of guests.

When is your wedding? 
    wedding is May 28th
    If you go with one of the outdoor patios, will they offer an indoor option?  We have had Memorial Day weekends fluctuate from cold, rainy 50 degree days to 90+ degree days.

The parking issues raised by @SP29 are valid as well.  A friend had her wedding at the Langham, and their parking was $70.  The bride did inform guests of alternative public parking facilities.  Parking definitely needs to be considered for guests.
  • When they say "max capacity" is that for a seated dinner? You need to know the max number of people that can be seated for dinner, which may be a very different number than the "max capacity" of the room. I don't recommend going over 80% of the number of people they say can be seated comfortably...because as you can see from that first photo, that is NOT comfortable!

If it works for your numbers, I'd go with option #2. The distinctive rug in option #3 rules it out for me, personally, and for option #1 the outdoor option I don't like how it's a long narrow space, and the indoor option I don't like how it seems like a typical restaurant where people won't be able to see the key events like the dances or toasts easily. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards