Honeymoon Discussions

Hawaii

We're looking to go to Maui for two weeks in June & are looking for hotel recommendations. We would like to have a beachfront room directly on the water. Any suggestions? We have been looking at renting a condo instead of doing a resort possibly...has anyone ever done this? Thank you!
"Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."

Re: Hawaii

• You may very well be better off in a condo than renting a hotel room for 2 weeks.  The entire community is located on the water, but not all units are beachfront.  However, I have stayed at Puamana which is located near Lahainia.  If you do get an oceanfront condo, you will have the sunset outside of your condo every day.  It is a gated community and has 2 pools (one is adults only), a community house, and tennis courts.  You can also walk to downtown Lahaina is about 10 minutes.

In January this year, H & I stayed at the Days Inn in Kihei.  It is located right on the water, but only 4 rooms are oceanfront.  It was conveniently located within walking distance of stores and restaurants.  We stayed in one of the oceanfront rooms.  The downside was that it was a first floor room and you get no lanai or balcony.  Also, our window was right on the patio of a restaurant, so we really couldn't open it.  But if you can get a 2nd floor oceanfront room, you have a small balcony.  Had I known, I would have requested a 2nd floor room there.  The room did come with a microwave and mini fridge, so that we could eat some meals out of the room.  We usually did breakfast in. 

Being that you are planning to do 2 weeks on one island, you could also stay 5 nights in Kihei, 5 in Lahaina, and 5 in Kannapali to try and get a small taste of each part of the island.  You also have enough time to do 2 different islands, one week on each.  H & I both love Kauai, I highly recommend trying to divide up your trip to see 2 islands, since you have 2 weeks.  Each island is so much different from the next. 

• Thank you for the suggestions! I'll look into those hotels. We thought about doing two islands but weren't sure if the cost would be too much to fly between them, but I'll def look into it!
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • Also, if you are staying on Maui, don't forget upcountry.  We split our time there between a hotel down on the water and an amazing B&B in upcountry which was a perfect home base for the Road to Hana and Mt. Haleakala as well as the cool winery they have on the island.  
  • We stayed at the Sheraton in Kaanapali.  Loved it!  The location was great - able to walk along the beach to shops and restaurants in Whaler's Village.  And only about a 5 minute drive to Lahaina with lots more shops and restaurants.

I also recommend splitting your time between 2 islands.  Inter island flights cost us around $100 per person each way when we went a couple months ago. We've been to Oahu, but only stayed for 2 nights our first time to Hawaii, really to see Pearl Harbor.  We knew that island wouldn't be the right fit for us, so we're glad we didn't spend any more time there.  This year, we spent our time solely on the Big Island.  We liked it, though for me, Maui still takes the top spot.  Next up will be Kauai - I hear wonderful things about that island!
  • Thank you for the suggestions! I'll look into those hotels. We thought about doing two islands but weren't sure if the cost would be too much to fly between them, but I'll def look into it!
    I should have clarified that Puamana is a private condo complex.  You would rent directly from the owner of the unit.  They might have rentals on vrbo, airbnb, or a local realtor could get you the rental.

And inter-island flights aren't too expensive.  You can also usually fly directly into your first island and out from your second island.  When we went in January, H & I started in Philly and routed through Seattle.  For us, it was the cheapest route that also allowed us to fly directly into Maui and leave from Kauai.  And if you can get a sale, you can probably fly for about $50 pp inter-island.  When I booked out trip, I booked the inter-island flights separate from our Philly to Hawaii flights.  I tried booking them all at once, but it was cheaper to do it separately.
  • We stayed at the Hyatt Andaz and I can't recommend it enough!  Right on the beach, 5 infinity pools, plenty of activities (they now charge $40/day but it includes a good amount of stuff- and they offer a private car to nearby locations- good for if you are drinking!)  The hotel gave us a bottle of champagne when we arrived, and they given you snacks and drinks in your fridge which are complementary.  And they have free sunscreen by the pools.  

The nice part was my husband and I signed up for the hyatt credit card and got 2 free nights each at any hyatt in the world (this place is pricey- but amazing as I said) So we stayed there for 4 nights and pretty much didn't leave the hotel.  We made cocktails in the room (made a stop at the supermarket to pick up booze- which was much cheaper than buying the cocktails which average $16 per)  After the 4 nights, we traveled to other parts of the island and it gave us the opportunity to see everything.  We felt that it was a waste to stay at a resort if we were going to be leaving to do activities.  

Also, we did 2 1/2 weeks and 3 islands.  If you decide to do another island, skip Oahu (it will be a let down once you see Maui) and hit up the big island.  The Kona coast is beautiful.  And 2 weeks is the perfect amount of time to see 2 islands.  We did 6 nights on the big island (got to see the glow of the lava lake in volcanos nation park which was super awesome, and did star gazing on Mauna Kea)  And we did 8 nights on Maui.  We ended Maui at the best western in old lahaina which put us in the center of town- I felt like I was in New Orleans, to be honest.  We only did 2 nights on Kauai.

Also, one cool thing about Hawaii is that all beaches are public.  We went to a beautiful beach on the kona coast at the Mauna Kea resort and it didn't cost us anything.
  • I've stayed at the Grand Wailea on Maui previously, and my FI and I are going there for our honeymoon in April. Can't recommend it enough, although it is more on the expensive side.

Absolutely beautiful resort, and you can get ocean view rooms pretty close to the beach with Villas on the beach I believe. (I know you said you want something directly on the water, but it might be worth checking out if you're interested.) They also have tons of amenities including a private beach and plenty of pools.

Hope this helps! http://www.grandwailea.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards