Chit Chat

Is anyone as bad at hair styling as I am?

Just spent a good 30-40 minutes trying to figure out how to do flat iron curls. At this point I'm thinking investing in a regular curling iron will be WAY easier.

I've never been good at styling my hair. Even blow drying it is difficult enough for me!

Re: Is anyone as bad at hair styling as I am?

• I'm with ya. I don't get how people make their hair stay up/flat/curled/whatever. I ain't got time for that shit.

Before I cut nine inches off a few months ago, my routine was as follows:
    - Shower at night, then comb out the tangles. If I felt particularly motivated, I would braid my hair before bed.
    - In the morning, I'd get my bangs wet, add a little product, blow dry and flat iron then (takes 5 minutes, otherwise my bangs do crazy things).

HOWEVER, I got sick of spending 5 minutes on my hair, so I cut it all off and am in the process of growing out my bangs. Now, I shower at night, comb it out, and in the morning, spritz it with curling spray. Done.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd like to be able to do something different to my hair every once in a while, but I know that I don't have the patience for practicing all that stuff. It's just frustrating!

Plus, I need to wear my hair up most days of the week due to school and work (working with food)...so I don't really have a lot of opportunities to even wear my hair down.

My hair routine right now is washing it at night and letting it dry overnight. Every once in a while I blow dry it.
  • I missed the girl gene completely. I cannot do hair to save my life, make up, or walk in heels.

• I can walk in heels ok, and my daytime makeup game is alright...but I couldn't do a smokey-eye to save my life!

I'd love to learn, but, again, patience for hair/makeup is not one of my strong points.
  • I can do heels alright, and daytime makeup. Buy I'm with you on dramatic makeup - I just look like a raccoon if I attempt a smoky eye.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I suck at styling my hair. I don't have the patience to figure it out honestly. Buying a curling wand was the best choice I ever made! Much easier than a curling iron and a million times easier than a flat iron curl which I could never figure out.

• I suck at styling my hair. I don't have the patience to figure it out honestly. Buying a curling wand was the best choice I ever made! Much easier than a curling iron and a million times easier than a flat iron curl which I could never figure out.
    I had no idea these were two different things.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oooo I'll have to look into buying a curling wand
    I had no idea these were two different things.

Me neither! I had to Google the difference lol
  • I'm horrible with my hair. I can flat iron it and that's pretty much everything.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Get a curling wand! It has the same effect as flat iron curling but it is so much easier. Conair sells some that are really affordable ($15ish)

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    I second (or third!) the curling wand.  I also love my hot air brush.
  • *raises hand*

I suck at hair. I bought a hair dryer and I never use it. I don't even own a curling iron. I'm kind of scared of them because a friend burned my forehead while styling my hair at a lock-in when I was in jr. high.

I can do a pony tail and that's it. And not even a cute pony tail with some side bang out and stuff. Just a strict pulled back pony tail. And my buns look weird. I tried to do my hair into a nice up do for a fancy event last Valentines Day and it just looked slicked back and horrible. I worked on that for hours. I pin simple hair dos on Pinterest and practice and it never works.

My every day hair "style" is wrap it in a towel while I put on foundation, then in wrap it and let it air dry the rest of the time and run my fingers through it. It's straight as a stick so I never even brush it. I don't even own a regular brush.
  • PamBeesly524PamBeesly524 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2015

Count me in, I can't do anything with makeup and I usually just straighten my hair. I do have a curling iron, but I took off the clip on it to make it a wand because I hated how the clamp left a weird crimp at the tips of my hair. I find that my makeshift wand works better than normal ones because most wands that I've seen taper to a smaller diameter at the end -- which makes for weird curls in my hair.

I know everyone's hair is different but I literally put some holding mousse in my wet hair and blowdry it, separate my hair into top and bottom sections, and then curl sections of each haphazardly until I'm done. Then I flip my hair upside down and hairspray lightly, fingercomb to get hairspray clumps out and then sort of scrunch my curls to make sure they hold. Flip my hair back over and I'm done.
  • I hear ya! Last night I got my hair cut (probably 10 inches off). I even asked my stylist to give me step-by-step instructions on how to curl it so it looks pretty and bouncy. She kindly went through everything. This morning I tried it and it looks like a train wreck. And I spent like 30 minutes on it. So now I'm annoyed.
  • I am awful at styling my hair. I can flat iron it no problem but you want me to do anything else and I'm out. I still can't quite get the hang of my curling wand - I've burned myself pretty badly a few times now with it. Flat iron curls - no idea how people get that to work, despite watching a thousand YouTube tutorials. Forget putting it up in anything but a ponytail - that just isn't going to happen. I'm glad I'm not the only one missing these skills!
  • I am AWFUL at doing my own hair. I have three styles: blowdry, ponytail/bun, and "I woke up like this" - which is more like Hermione Granger/pyramid/frizz fest.

I had no idea that curling wands even existed. I am definitely going out to purchase one!
  • I suck at anything other than blow drying and rounding brushing my hair.

I bought one of these and it's changed my lyfe in regards to curling my hair.

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod5260173&skuId=2260197&cmpid=PS_Non!google!Product_Listing_Ads&cagpspn=pla&CAWELAID=1912017723&catargetid=330000200000380435&cadevice=c&gclid=CN38mfC3hsoCFQMMaQodBd0HLw

It's super pricey right now on Ulta and Amazon but I've seen it for sale on Overstock for around $130 and it's not too bad if you use it with a coupon.

• @labro omg! That thing looks amazing.
  • @PamBeesly524 I mean, it is for real the best thing ever! You can change the curl direction, it doesn't leave funky crimped ends, and the motorized rod is seriously the easiest no mistakes curler!

• I think if I had hair that cooperated, I'd be better at it, but my hair is super fine and straight and I have a tiny head. A mall vendor selling flat irons once stopped me to ask what I used. I was like nothing, this is my hair blow dried.

I'm a big advocate for the wand. My stylist knows I'm hair-lazy so my last hair cut she created a cut that 1. Doesn't look as cute straight and 2. You can't mess it up unless you just don't do it. I feel very stylish for once. Oh and get a wand that comes with a mitt, eventually you won't need it will save your life in the beginning!
  • I missed the hair gene too. I can do a pony tail, clipped half back, or straighten it. My hair has recently changed textures and become very wavy, so that's been interesting. I can't figure out how to make the wavy look good, but now it's a major pain to straighten and halfway through the day the waves start to appear. So I'm a hot mess with hair lately.
  • I used to love doing flat iron curls! I like the results better than a curling iron. And tbh, I don't know why anyone would own both a curling wand and iron. I just use my iron as a wand, and wrap the hair around the clip, rather than inside it. Works the same. Some wands are tapered or have weird ridges, but some curling irons too. Dunno, I've never noticed much difference.

I don't usually do my hair or makeup much, because I'm lazy and prefer sleeping. But as its NYE I did my round brush blowout last night. It crumpled a bit overnight, but still looks nice. People at work were like 'wow! Did you do something with your hair? You look great!' haha. So, I guess I should probably put more effort in on a regular basis...

• Here.  I can't even manage a decent ponytail because my hair is so fine, it just falls out.  It also is very straight so it won't hold a curl unless I Aqua Net it up so it doesn't move.  So, I have to wash it every morning, and I blow dry it with my head upside down and finish with a round brush.  Pretty much the only thing that works.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    I can flat iron mine, now that I have a real one (and not a $30 WalMart one, cos they don't get hot enough for all the massive amounts of hair I have).   And I can pony tail, french braid and even sock bun now.

I once asked my hairdresser to teach me how to curl with a flat iron.  She laughed and said she can't even do it.  She's owned her own salon for close to 20 years and knows what she's doing.  If she can't figure it out, I give up

ETA - if I had my flat iron in junior high (early 90's), damn, life would have been different. 

• It's nice to know that I am not alone!! Flat iron and curling wand it is!
  • I am actually really good with braiding (any type of braid) my own hair, straightening it, doing updos for formal events, and blowing it out with a lot of volume...but I can't curl it for the life of me. It really pisses me off, because I have long hair and I'd love to rock that slightly curled/wavy casual look (think Jojo on fixer upper) and I always look like I woke up with a rats nest on my head, or weird crimps.

I've been thinking about getting a curling wand for a while, but I didn't want to buy a cheap-o one and fry my hair, and I didn't want to buy an expensive one and not use it. 
  • add me to the can't do hair group. I get mad at work  because if my hair is in a pony tail it looks like I'm going to go work out and other people have it in a pony tail and it looks cute and stylish. I don't understand how to do it differently!
  • I can't do anything to my hair either. It's pretty long (down to the small of my back) and super straight. Me "doing" my hair consists of washing it and blowdrying it. I only part and brush it if I'm going somewhere where I want to look good. Other than that, I can do a basic ponytail, a sad side-braid and a super messy bun thing that I call a bouffant. It's not cute and is more of a "I'm cleaning the house" look than a cutesy messy bun. My hair hasn't done anything other than those four things (except if it's professionally done) since I grew it out in second grade. I've never used a curling or flat iron and I don't know how. My hair isn't that difficult to deal with so sometimes I wish I knew how to do more with it.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards