Budget Weddings Forum

Sunday wedding bad idea?

We’re having our wedding next november the 6th on a Sunday..The ceremony is at 2:30 and the reception is 3-8:00. I’m so worried that it won’t be a thrilling part if I instead were to have it on a Saturday, it's just soo expensive to do a Saturday. It gets dark around 4-5pm in the fall so hopefully I can get that late night party feel…what do you think? And I’m worried over nothing…:(

Re: Sunday wedding bad idea?

• Why did you post the same question again? I answered it on your first post.
  • I changed the times since my original post showed the wrong times.
  • there is an edit button.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • How do you delete a post? I'm new to this whole thing, sorryyy
  • once someone replies threads can not be deleted.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • It depends on how many of your guests have to travel. If they have to travel it would be bad because most people like to be home by Sunday for the work week. Unless they are willing to take Monday off. Also for any guests that have kids, expect them to be gone between 5 & 7 PM so that they can get their kids ready for bed & school the next day. I'm in no way saying don't do it on a Sunday. Just bringing up things that could come up. I don't want you to get bummed when guests leave before 8:00 PM.

• Also, before booking the venue, make sure your florist and hairstylist are willing to work on a Sunday. For those two vendors, Sundays are generally their main day off. DJ's and Photographers to work on a Sunday are easier to find.
  • Erikan73 said:
    Also, before booking the venue, make sure your florist and hairstylist are willing to work on a Sunday. For those two vendors, Sundays are generally their main day off. DJ's and Photographers to work on a Sunday are easier to find.
    This isn't necessarily true. Many hairstylists I know take weekdays off, because it's easier for a lot of their clientele to see them on weekends. Growing up, my mother, who is a hairstylist, took Monday and Tuesday off, and my dad (who worked in a corporate job) had weekends off, so we only needed babysitters 3 days per week. Lots of our family friends had similar arrangements.

It shouldn't be hard to find a hairstylist who works Sundays, and I certainly wouldn't plan a wedding around it. 
  • There is nothing wrong with a Sunday wedding.  Saturday folks are more likely to drink too much, party to hard, and there could be some mishap of some kind.  Sunday is a quieter day, and I think it's more elegant.  It's early enough and folks can go to work the next day.  For a winter wedding, I think this is more than appropriate.  Do hope you sent out your save the dates and invites with enough time for your guess to plan.  good luck!  
  • One thing you may not have factored in is that November 6th next year is when Daylight Saving's time ends...  Fun little thing to add in... 
  • We had a Sunday wedding but Monday was a holiday.  Some people still didn't come because they didn't have that Monday off. 

Have the wedding you want that you can afford. 
  • We had a Sunday wedding, but realized that may mean some of our guests might leave earlier. Everyone came, even those who had to travel 2+ hours, but the travelers did leave halfway through the reception to get home, we were just so grateful they could make it. It also meant many of our guests didn't drink or party quite as hard as I've known them to in the past, which we were ok with also. I think if you're going to be disappointed that you won't get the Saturday night atmosphere (and you might not), move your wedding up, as it's a real possibility. We were happy with it.
  • I had a Sunday wedding. Started at 11:30; lots ofpeople were leaving by 3; by 4 it was only me, my H, and our parents left I think. We knew it might very well be a short event given the age of our crowd, the fact that most were not dancers (no one except my H and I danced although the floor was open to all), and that so many people had to travel in.

If everyone is near by you might get a few more hours out of them but I think it's pretty common for a Sunday wedding to only last 2-3 hours.
  • edited January 2016
    We are having a Sunday wedding in Jan 2017. Ceremony and reception at the same place. It's a barn wedding from 2-7pm. We have out of town guests coming too but that's what we can afford. If you have young guests that like to party they will drink and dance no matter a Saturday or Sunday. It's dark by 4:30.
  • edited January 2016
  • I think it's a "know your crowd" thing. We had a Sunday wedding from 3pm-9pm and it was great -- everyone definitely drank and danced, virtually everyone stayed until after cake cutting at 7:45pm, and we still had around a third of our guests come with us to our afterparty. That being said, we don't have any parents with young kids in our families, the oldest guest is in her late 60s, most guests were within an hour drive, and a good chunk of our guest list was our friends (many of whom don't work traditional 9-5s). If I had different demographics in our guest list, I probably would've done a brunch time wedding instead.
  • Zombie thread, resurrected by newbies.  Please, new brides, check the date on the initial post before you respond to a question.  It is very annoying to have these old threads resurrected.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards