Attire & Accessories Forum

Birdal party

I thought i had this all figured out but now i am second guessing and need help.
my fiancé is wearing a charcoal grey suit. 
My bridesmaids will be wearing grey dresses (lighter color) 
I know I want to groomsmen in no jacket (just vests with shirts) but should they be light grey or dark like the groom?
our colors are yellow grey green.

Re: Birdal party

• If it were me I would just have all the guys buy a charcoal suit and have them all wear the jackets that go with said charcoal suit.  Then once the ceremony is over they can ditch the coats.

• tigerlily6tigerlily6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2016
    Nice! We just had a conversation similar to this the other day, actually. I am also leaning towards putting the groomsmen in gray vests/ suspenders with no jacket (although not completely decided yet). The traditional stance is that the groomsmen should match the groom in the same level of formality (and therefore probably all have jackets), so that is something to consider. But I think ultimately it is up to you and whatever your wedding party likes/ can afford. Plus your colors sounds rather light and spring-y, so I personally think groomsmen in vests sounds like it would be nice. 

I'm debating about groom's shade of gray vs. the groomsmens. I really like this photo that @holyguacamole79  shared with me the other day of a bit of mix and match. I think it looks pretty elegant.

(ETA to make the photo come out).

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We are doing the deeper fall shades of the colors our wedding is in October
  • I like that look thank you for sharing.
  • Oooh, yeah. I can see those as fall colors, too. That will be pretty! Another thing to consider is that, if you don't want to do mismatch, think about re-wearability if the guys are buying the suits vs. renting. Perhaps they might find occasion to wear charcoal gray more often than lighter gray (or vice versa -- maybe they don't own light gray and want to) in which case, the groom can take the opposite shade. Maybe ask around with the guys, and see if they can help you make the decision?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • :/ If the groom is in a suit, the guys at least need jackets/sportscoats. But most mens vests are currently made as part of a three piece suit and not designed to be worn without the jacket. The groomsmen may have difficulty locating and purchasing a waistcoat that is appropriate to wear solo.

That said, if you're going to say gray, I would not get specific on the shade. It will still look just fine. We asked our groomsmen to wear dark suits. They were not all the same, or even the same color. The world did not end.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    The guys in that picture look half dressed.  They should be wearing jackets.  Vests are not necessary, but jackets are!  The groomsmen should wear the same as the groom.  Think about how the guys will look at the altar with their backs facing the guests, and those metal cinch buckles exposed.  Ugh.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    The guys in that picture look half dressed.  They should be wearing jackets.  Vests are not necessary, but jackets are!  The groomsmen should wear the same as the groom.  Think about how the guys will look at the altar with their backs facing the guests, and those metal cinch buckles exposed.  Ugh.
    They also look very disheveled next to the groom.  Like they are already halfway through the reception while the groom is just preparing for the ceremony.

• OK, that is three of us.  If your groomsmen wear jackets, everyone will think they look nice.  If they wear vest alone, some people will think they look good, but many others will think "What the hell are they wearing?"
    Your choice.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards